Can someone help with these bloody pips?

Hey all,

These pips planted the wrong seed in the marked tile, so I uprooted it but now they just refuse to plant anything else in it! 

Can anyone see whats going on? I feel like I'm following the pip planting guide and just can't work out why they won't plant somewhere they had previously planted.

pips.png

hmmm doesn't he violate rule #1, " 6 left, 6 down, 5 right, 5 up from the tile",or do we count the base tile as well?
because i also use the standard 4 tiles tall halls and skipped a row for that reason :/

EDIT: also he seem to use 2 wide gap for arbor trees, do they have a special rule?

So this is a little off-topic and I apologise, but as a n00b I am compelled to ask why.

I see lots of bases by people clearly more-in-the-know than me, where they do all their farming with "wild" plants buried by Pips. I'm sure said more-in-the-know players can afford to pipe a little polluted water to arbor trees, so why do you insist on growing them "wild" for lower yield?

4 minutes ago, Tsabo said:

So this is a little off-topic and I apologise, but as a n00b I am compelled to ask why.

I see lots of bases by people clearly more-in-the-know than me, where they do all their farming with "wild" plants buried by Pips. I'm sure said more-in-the-know players can afford to pipe a little polluted water to arbor trees, so why do you insist on growing them "wild" for lower yield?

It's a lower 'yield', but it also doesn't require the fertilizing input.If you have finite amounts of, say, Water, would you rather feed that to Bristle Blossoms, or keep it for your Electrolyzers?

Like most things in ONI, it's a trade-off -- lower KCal / Cycle, but if you only need to ensure the environment is appropriate, it's otherwise "Free".

6 minutes ago, Red Shark said:

It's a lower 'yield', but it also doesn't require the fertilizing input.If you have finite amounts of, say, Water, would you rather feed that to Bristle Blossoms, or keep it for your Electrolyzers?

Like most things in ONI, it's a trade-off -- lower KCal / Cycle, but if you only need to ensure the environment is appropriate, it's otherwise "Free".

OK, that makes sense. Especially when I'm currently playing on a Verdante asteroid and there's been a grand total of about 10 cells of water on the entire map so far. Water sieves and desalinators have been running overtime.

1 hour ago, Tsabo said:

on a Verdante asteroid and there's been a grand total of about 10 cells of water

Yeah, my map's starting biome had practically no water.  I had to ration very carefully until I could find my first geyser.  After finding it, I encountered another problem: The water is hot.  My base, at the time, did not have the means to cool the water down to a useful temperature, so I could not use it to farm bristleblooms. (My starting biome was already at 31c).  Pip planting was pretty much required to keep my dupes from starving.  It was quite annoying that my farms had to be huge to counter the wild growth rate, but... it was better than any other alternatives I had.

11 hours ago, Tsabo said:

so why do you insist on growing them "wild" for lower yield?

Fertilizers are basically abundant. But you do not require any dupe labor to handle the plant and/or it's fertilizer; which saves a lot of time. Plants harvest themselves after a while which makes it even less efficient but you can simply automate an enclosed room.

Spoiler

You can create several chambers that can run on a single transformer with several thousand watt potential load.

image.thumb.png.7bc68751a93f9415ed3514926d7de1f1.png

image.thumb.png.749e63b5b7c723f2fb2824baf17508c4.png

The creation process of natural tiles itself is nice and fun, i recommend doing it at least once. But i would rather use the natural tiles mod since the preparation of the dirt was a very annoying part of that process.

image.thumb.png.913956be08c4bdede965c5da6278ff84.png

Bleachstone for example is quite annoying to handle. Automated waterweed would otherwise need something like the following to prevent off-gasing. Since i like to have a clean base with a bleachstone chest on priority 9 available at all times, i even have to make sure that the dupes do not have access to the farm. Otherwise they will circle the bleachstone over and over.

image.thumb.png.6b7735c0079add52a01ce6b86101646c.png 

Sadly the standard room height does not seem to work with pepperplants, they need one extra tile making it a 5 tile room.

Yesterday I came across a pip behavior which seems to contradict the excellent post of @nakomaru: my pip did not plant in hydrogen atmosphere. Just pumping out the hydrogen solved the problem, when the target tile got covered in oxygen, the pip did its job. This time it was planting waterweed, but I saw the same happening with mealwood earlier.

Archived