Memorials are useless

I recently was doing tests with duplicant death and realized that memorials are useless. Dead duplicants can actually be used to give maintenance and space free decor if they were dressed in a snazzy suit before death! (see image below) So far as I've observed the only use to memorials is to dispose of bodies, it doesnt remove the mourning debuff. This is only useful if the dupe was wearing an item with negative decor making it more than useless if they were wearing a suit.

My observations from my testing were:

-Graves do nothing besides remove the body

-Dead bodies do not reapply the mourning debuff upon reload

-Dead bodies do not have any negative morale effects besides removing decor if their outfit allows it

-Dead bodies do not spawn morbs or any form of pollution (disease, PO2)

do what you want with this knowledge

Previously mentioned image (theres a decor value of about 1000 there):
image0.png

1 hour ago, oosyrag said:

Glass tomb anyone?

If I could work out a reliable way to have dupes transport corpses to specific locations I would totally do this. Lenin's-Mausoleum-ing my noble dead is I think so much nicer than dunking them in a grave marker (and apparently the still-living dupes agree, thence the decor bonus).

Presumably you'd need an empty memorial, and then some sort of rube-goldberg-machine automation pressure pad / filter switch / door lock device that blocks the path to the memorial when the corpse-carrying dupe is at the exact right spot?

OP can you confirm that the decor buff remains if the corpse is moved?

yes, I totally agree.
the aspect of the death of duplicates in the game is absolutely not worked out.
for example, 10 duplicants died in a short time, survivors received the "mourning" debuff, but:
1b54647e8350b19ec568da9d362e0730.jpg.0d7dece28cfea15f5cc87c676f113c45.jpg

let's bury the dead in the graves. the survivors cried - and the "mourning" debuff disappeared completely.
now let's destroy these graves - no consequences, no corpses, no diseases, no debuffs, no memories, nothing.

Some time ago I wanted to make a mod that corrects the aspect of death of duplicates.
I was inspired by some of the features from the earliest versions of ONI (which were later rejected by Klei), and the game Rimword and its Psychology mod.

I have implemented several features such as:

• Reworked debuff "mourning" and funeral ceremony,
  • Duplicants are debuffed when they see a corpse in sight,
  • a permanent debuff if there are unpolished corpses,
  • when the grave is destroyed, the corpse is returned, and all duplicants receive a debuff,
  • corpses rot over time,
  • rotten corpses pollute water and air and spread zombie spores.

457140_20200914223340_1.thumb.png.56d71158b74aa64784600736580af2a6.png

I would like to implement a few more features, inspired by games like Rimworld, Darkest Dungeon and Fran Bow.

I will not publish this mod in the Steam Workshop until it is fully ready.

Unfortunately, however, I lost the war with laziness and lost my creative inspiration. Now I don’t know when I’ll get back to mod programming again.

I made that Rube-Goldberg machine I said I would.

Mausoleum_1.thumb.jpg.faf44422f15e900b62d8a17847171536.jpgA

I've never much tried to use duplicant checkpoints before, mostly 'cos everyone said they were awful. However, they DO have the (rare, maybe even unique, afaik) property that duplicants will try to path through them even if they're turned off. Usually, this is awful and time-wasting, but for our mausoleum plan, exactly what we need (well, with caveats, which I'll get to later). Therefore: have a Tasteful Memorial accessible only via an off checkpoint, dupes try to transport corpses to it, stand pondering at the door for a while, and eventually give up, dumping whatever they're carrying on that exact tile. Bingo: this is exactly how we get what we wanted, corpses on a tile of your choosing. Ideally, make the underside glass tile first - I don't know what happens if you try to build an artificial tile on a cell occupied by a corpse, but I imagine it can cause complications.

Mausoleum_3.thumb.jpg.4c49459d6f7575cd6931f2da5417e63e.jpg

As more "industrial accidents" occur, deconstruct and reconstruct the checkpoint at the new final resting place of the next body, simples.

I had hoped this would be the nice neat end to the tale, but not... quite. Because you see, undertaking is a contemplative business for dupes. Stymied from carting their comrades to their intended Tasteful Memorial place of final rest, the dupes tend to get so wrapped up on philosophical questions as to the nature of the duplicant soul and the fleeting cruelty of life in a time-shifted asteroid, that they lose sight of earthly concerns. Including the earthly concern to seek oxygen if you happen to be constructing your mausoleum at the bottom of your CO2 pit.

Mausoleum_5.thumb.jpg.df023235958c64722ede6343329f593b.jpg

OOPS

Still, it means that at least I can show you what a longer version looks like.

Mausoleum_6.thumb.jpg.889a2b3b762959f6baaaba6387dbf887.jpg

RIP Gossmann and Otto. Undertaking is literally the most dangerous profession in space.

Presumably if you had an airlock door between the checkpoint and the gravestone, they'd drop the corpse if the door ever locked. 

I'd say pair it with a dup sensor, but both weight and presence would count corpses. 

Archived