[Sunken "Treasure"] Finally on solid ground again.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I'd also like to add that the ruins loot is irreplaceable while all the sea loot that's worth getting has to do with food, which already isn't really hard to manage. While the stone fruit bushes and kelp fronds are very powerful food sources they are just a food source. You can replace them with something like a bunnyman farm. While the salt box is rather nice to have it does just slow the spoilage of food, to a greater extent than the ice box but a lesser extent than bundling wraps. You could just make more food, make less food, or use bundling wraps. So while they're both rather nice to have they are just alternatives.

But the ruins loot? Where else are you going to find a chest slot item that makes you move faster and emit light? Where else are you going to find an item that summons a stationary light/temperature source that lasts for a real-life half hour and has 20 uses? Where else are you going to find an item allowing you to teleport? Or an item that can deconstruct anything into its base materials, allowing infinite pan flute uses among other things? An item that automatically picks up nearby items even if you aren't in range to grab them? An item that halves the cost of crafting anything? A case could also be made for the forcefield, permanent sanity clothing, and tentacle summoning.

I'm not saying the ocean needs to get exclusive ocean goodies (even if that would be nice), though. Just pointing out another reason that the ruins currently offers a lot more even though it's a lot easier and less risky.

include in the sea content an axe for killing toadstool and the best weapon against fw and shadow pieces (if we dont take in count morning star)

and that without having the moon craft table complete

Some ideas for a change in some mobs:

Skitter squids should drop a random ocean fish from the ocean at 50% freshness. I mean, they eat fish. It's reasonable to be able to find one in it's stomach, and it would be a nice alternative to fishing that isn't as consistent.

Malbatross should be a lot easier to spawn. I don't know about others experienced with this boss but I haven't even seen malbatross once while looking for them. Maybe instead of randomly finding malbatross on shoals you catch a specific fish that spawns them? Maybe malbatrosses babies are fish with little beaks and to protect them after you catch them malbatross spawns? I feel like this would make spawning malbatross a lot more consistent even if the fish is rare. As for it's loot, I'm thinking malbatross feathers should be able to make a suit that gives resistance to water, makes you get hot slower, and makes you get cold slower. This would be a cool all around body armor that I might actually try to get.

I think rockjaws are fine as they are now. Not every mob needs a super cool item to come with it and I like rockjaws being that mob that kills you and it doesn't give anything cool but does give a lot of food. Maybe a rockjaw-specific food item though, kinda like koalafant trunks?

Gnarwails are also fine mostly because I think Klei is going to add more things to craft with it's horn.

I'm not going to give many suggestions for crab king because we don't know what the lunar statue he drops does yet but I really think the trident should do more than a dark sword on water. The problem is that dark swords are just so easy to get and a reaccuring pattern im seeing is weapons that do the same amount as a dark sword but with a kinda twist. Except the twist doesn't matter because the weapon is always a lot harder to get than a dark sword.

This might be a bit of a stretch but I wouldn't mind it if wavy Jones dropped some nightmare fuel once he disappears. 

Finally, the sunken treasure. Reduce the chance of getting useless items from it and add more ruins items. I'm thinking sunken treasures should kind of be like the loot from quacken in shipwrecked but a lower amount of good stuff. Make them give staffs and thulecite clubs, that would make them really interesting for newer players that aren't confident enough to go to ruins and even for older players that happen to find treasure because a free star callers staff is a free star callers staff.

27 minutes ago, PrezPara said:

Malbatross

Malbatross can spawn at 25% of the oceans shoals, OR it has a 10% chance to spawn everytime you catch a deep bass at a shoal(Shoals have map icons)

Ofc, Malbatross wont spawn if it's already in the world somewhere.

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Question to the community: Would you like if the ocean was instead not new players friendly? to become a sort of alternate ruins trip, High risk, high stress surviving, but big rewards (possibly higher than the ruins themselves) 

yes.png.1c03992702626b9b98ba327dd1afa5d3.png

I have seen Malbaltross quite frequently, and it mangled me few times... But I have nearby to my base few ocean shoals. Every trip around the sea and for Lunar Island is quite... Exciting. Sometimes I wish do not spawn bosses when I just travel. 

6 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Boat, anchor, wheel, 2 sails / lightning rod and light upgrades, science machine, crock pot, sea fishing rod, boat patches, and that's just to get on the water.  And yes, 10 days is a long time considering you could have explored the entire perimeter of the map or be clearing the ruins in the same time frame.

ah, i understand you. you are only looking at it from the perspective of speedrunning. yeah, no for casuals like me that is enough time to do about a full-day's walk in every direction and get together enough stuff to build the first alchemy engine. if you aren't rushing then you really have no reason to expect your map will be uncovered fully in that first year so ten days is not so much. different strokes and all that i suppose x''D

i wonder if the update is for people like me who want to do more things but aren't so experienced that they wouldn't find any of it fun without being thrashed first. from my perspective as a baby i am enjoying things greatly so far

16 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Question to the community: Would you like if the ocean was instead not new players friendly? to become a sort of alternate ruins trip, High risk, high stress surviving, but big rewards (possibly higher than the ruins themselves) 

Just play Walter. One sequence of rockjaw attacks spawns a series of problems like low health, instant insanity, and two terrorclaws coming to nimble on you. This only covers the high risk, high stress surviving.

Archived