Please add subtitles for hound barks and seasonal boss growls

One of my friends just got into DST but has very bad hearing. Would the devs please consider adding subtitles for the hound wave barks and seasonal boss growls? Something simple like "Hounds barking" and "Loud Growling" would be amazing.

She is aware now that the character announces hounds with a quote but this only happens about halfway into the barking, giving her less time to prepare.
The hounds she has been able to manage since the time they take to spawn is much longer. However, the main issue is that the character quotes for the seasonal bosses spawning happens near the very end of the growling and gives her less than 30 seconds to react and prepare for their arrival.
Deerclops and Bearger growl about 5 times before spawning, but the character doesn't mention it with a quote until the 4th growl. This results in Deerclops and Bearger spawning right in her base almost every time. When playing solo she has almost no time at all to adjust what she is doing and fight the bosses away from base, please Klei add a subtitle option for these <3 I'm sure there are others like her who play the game and they would love this accessibility option.

Oh ok that's what you meant.... I thought you meant that you wanted to have translations for creatures like this:

"Bark Bark!!" (translation: I wanna eat you, and your pets!)

"Grr, ROAR!!" (translation: I say 'ol chap, could you spare some morsels of etiquette cuisine per chance?)

5 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

All characters, well, except Wes, also verbally announce an incoming crisis, like Hounds or Giants.

the main issue is that the character quotes for the seasonal bosses spawning happens near the very end of the growling and gives her less than 30 seconds to react and prepare for their arrival.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

All characters, well, except Wes, also verbally announce an incoming crisis, like Hounds or Giants.

the main issue is that the character quotes for the seasonal bosses spawning happens near the very end of the growling and gives her less than 30 seconds to react and prepare for their arrival.

Yea hounds she has been mostly fine with because they take longer to spawn and the character announces it early around the 3rd bark and multiple times after
Bearger and Clops on the other hand only growl 5-6 times and the character only announces it on the 4th growl like 10-15 seconds before they spawn, so she always gets caught completely off guard especially with Clops destroying base.

The ideal solution would be a configuration setting that lets you switch between "character gives their quote warning at the same time as the first sound effect" and the default "character gives their quote warning on the 3rd/4th growling noise". It could be titled something like "Immediate Warning Quotes" in the settings page, and take effect client-side like the other audiovisual settings. Turning it on would benefit hard-of-hearing players, people playing with the sound turned down or off, and newbies who want to soften the difficulty curve, but having it off by default would minimise the impact on seasoned players and newbies with fully functioning sound who want the original dying in the wilderness experience.

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

This is a great suggestion... For inclusion specially for deaf players, an OPTION for a pop up message for hounds and bosses would be really nice :)

I agree 100% on this. This feature could be toggled for people with hearing loss. I have some minor hearing loss but already got used to it and my character danger announces.

Ive seen other games (specially team oriented ones) implementing colorblind options so we could make use of this for people struggling to hear 100%. Maybe we could have something like:

Mysterious voice: *gasps*

And then deerclops appears with the camera tremors. That would be cool and even add some dramatic entrance to the seasonal bosses!

17 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

The ideal solution would be a configuration setting that lets you switch between "character gives their quote warning at the same time as the first sound effect" and the default "character gives their quote warning on the 3rd/4th growling noise". It could be titled something like "Immediate Warning Quotes" in the settings page, and take effect client-side like the other audiovisual settings. Turning it on would benefit hard-of-hearing players, people playing with the sound turned down or off, and newbies who want to soften the difficulty curve, but having it off by default would minimise the impact on seasoned players and newbies with fully functioning sound who want the original dying in the wilderness experience.

That would be perfect and probably easier than adding subtitles. What a great suggestion!

6 hours ago, LonelySkeleton said:

That would be perfect and probably easier than adding subtitles. What a great suggestion!

Most in-game events I can think of that have a sound and that the player needs to be made aware of are already accompanied by a visual effect, animation, or character announcement that fires at the same time, so a subtitle track would often be redundant; the Deerclops warning is one of the major exceptions.

I'm going to copy what I said into a thread in the Suggestions and Feedback forum, where it might have a better chance of getting taken up.

Archived