late game

Guys, what are you doing in late game? I'm on 670 cycle, and absolutely have no idea what to do now.

map.jpg

Look like I have unlimited energy from boiling oil and then cooling it, unlimited food from slicksters and shove volleys, 2 nice rockets and gas moo (have no idea how to use it and gas gras).

Actually, most interesting moments was between 50-250 cycles, when I have 20-70 dupes. There always was not enough food (for current and next cycle), but around 300 cycle I dig 50% of asteroid and build enough farms to make a lot of barbecue and grow enough of fried mushrooms.

Water amount constantly grow, I don't know what to do with it (my colony use 4800kg of oxygen, but geysers give me more then I spent).

Also, look like my food constantly rot, and I have enough dirt to grow Sleet Wheat. May be i'm wrong, but look like I have 20 tons of dirt income from last 100-200 cycles.

Try a different map and/or wait for the DLC. That is pretty much what I am doing now. As I have survival pretty much figured out on any map (including one Oasisse where I had one salt water geyser and that was it until very late), it is mostly the 2nd thing for me now.

You have so many statues, but no monument. Replace all your statues with monuments.

Also relocate everyone into the lava biome, so you have space to reorganize your base.

Span the width of the map with rockets, and launch them all at the same time.

Seriously though, try a different asteroid type with different biomes.

As I have survival pretty much figured out on any map (including one Oasisse

You can always do something hellish like metalpoor geodormant badlands with max difficulty modifiers

Seriously though, try a different asteroid type with different biomes

Already try volcania and aridia (geodormant and metal poor), if you have ~16 dupes it's pretty easy. Actually, most simple was solo in forest asteroid (1 dupe).

MOAR DUPLICANTS!!!!

That actually may be interesting

You could clean up that mess.

There is no mess, it's perfect slums for 102 dupes

Also relocate everyone into the lava biome, so you have space to reorganize your base

Lol why?

Well some other things to try, since you seem to have "solved" going wide no problem, include going for speed or small. See how fast you can launch a rocket on the different maps, or try a game breaking into as little abyssalite as you can, single dupe challenge to temporal tear, ect.

Or wait for DLC.

Or play Factorio or Dwarf Fortress.

Or you can play my extreme RIME mod with geodormant as your punishment!

That map is only beatable if you dig straight to your first steam geyser or you freeze to death.

3 hours ago, cpy said:

Or you can play my extreme RIME mod with geodormant as your punishment!

That map is only beatable if you dig straight to your first steam geyser or you freeze to death.

Hmmm. Got a link for that?

4 hours ago, cpy said:

Ah, thanks. Somehow I had forgotten that one. I think I will try that and either miserably fail or boast that I found a different approach than the one you describe ;-)

41 minutes ago, Smife said:

Rows of plastic ladders, beds everywhere, no transit tubes. You call that late game?)

Nature tends towards maximum entropy. (Or was that human nature?)

On 7/23/2020 at 5:20 PM, Gurgel said:

Ah, thanks. Somehow I had forgotten that one. I think I will try that and either miserably fail or boast that I found a different approach than the one you describe ;-)

I have to say the super-cold Rime falls just the same to my usual Rime-approach: 1. Protect the water in the basis from freezing, then 2. get isolated farming with heating started and then 3. get ice-melting going. I am now at cycle 200 with 6 dupes (survival) and still have not started using any geysers.

@Timych I have something similar in my base. If I had to guess (and I'm strictly guessing), I'd say the op needed somewhere to store liquids and that was the most convenient spot. Given that they had so much food that it was already rotting, they just dug up the mushrooms planted there and instead planted some liquid tank seeds... or just built them. Farm tiles happily work as floor tiles if nothing's planted in them. :p You know... when you're too lazy to rip them up and put down "proper" tiles instead. In mine, I wanted to use my mealwood farm as overflow for pips, so I dug up a mealwood plant and plopped down the critter dropoff... which you wouldn't be able to do if something was planted there. Of course, it's not obvious if the ui was disabled with alt-s.

image.thumb.png.fc2feebfaa63bf91329cde48831d49d4.png

with the UI enabled though, it becomes more obvious:

image.thumb.png.19ccfb8ba9f26a0b1dcdd67f10080fc6.png

On 7/23/2020 at 9:32 PM, Timych said:

Am I missing something or how's that possible?

I remove plants and build liquid tanks, because there was water above, I can't just replace farm cells with normal floor cells, need to deconstruct each of them manually, so, I just build tanks there.

On 7/23/2020 at 5:39 PM, Smife said:

Rows of plastic ladders, beds everywhere, no transit tubes. You call that late game?)

What wrong with beds? You prefer cots, or your dupes sleep on the ground? If you think i build beds just because I have a lot of plastic, see pic attached. Also, now I have tubes. I think late game is period when I have unlimited amount of food, energy and when I can easily make LOX and LH for space missions.

base.thumb.jpg.738677b7eb74b36532b9833c496ab30f.jpg

Think my large screenshot was made on cycle 600, I just have no enough energy on that moment to supply transition tubes for 100 dupes in a time.

But now I have problem, something wrong with my geysers math. From my calculations, my geysers should gave me 10770kg of water each cycle. Also, I have 150 dupes, and if one lavatory visit gave me 6 kg of water, it is additional 900kg of water. I spent in average 9.6 tons of water for oxygen generation (8.6 tons of oxygen per cycle in average), and 960kg of water for plants.

Totally, income is 11670kg, outcome 10619 kg. But visually my water level fall down. Think I have 20-30 cycles more, and then I will be out of water. So, is it correct formula for geyser income (on long distance):

1kg of water per second

eruption each 100 second from 200

activity each 50 cycles from 100

totally 1kg * (100 / 200) * (50 / 100)  = 0.25 per second

0.25 * 600 = 150kg per cycle

PS think it is correct, by my latest calculation, I need to wait for next 6 cycles, and after it I should have surplus 3-4 tons of water during next 50 cycles. I panic just because of long dormant period, when my water amount fall down almost to zero.

Archived