WHY ARE THEY HERE

Blue Moth

I was just exploring the pugalisk island when i found this tribe of pigs just hanging out in the rainforest. WHY? HOW?

unknown.png?width=729&height=514

image.thumb.png.6a78754e50cb750ed0ba064bdd5bda12.png

here's the map, with my current location (with the tribe of pigs) circled in red, the palace city in blue, swinesbury in white and my own city in green. How did the pigs get stranded on this island?

That's likely coordinate 0,0, the very center of your world! Generally when something goes wrong with an entity and it doesn't know where it's supposed to be, it'll either spawn at or attempt to migrate to 0,0. In your case, it's likely that the pigs from those cities you busted down didn't have houses anymore, but still wanted to spawn for whatever reason, and so the game simply placed them down at 0,0. Usually with Hamlet's world gen, 0,0 tends to be on the Pugalisk island, so that lines up with your post pretty well.

Some other things you can observe at Hamlet's 0,0, now that you know its location:
- Pigs appearing like this when you bust down their houses or towers.
- At the very start of dusk, you can see the light from every lamp post in the world briefly flicker on at 0,0 before they all teleport to their respective lamp posts.
- If you've got any doydoys, you can hear doydoy death sounds perpetually playing at 0,0. In fact, you should try standing at the very center of 0,0 and listening closely: I've also heard some spooky water noises at Hamlet's, which I think were actually from the end's well?
- Flocks of pigeons sometimes show up at 0,0, I believe due to some kind of bug causing them to build up there rather than spawning in the city.
- Relics sometimes just kinda, show up? Who knows why.
- Ro Bin, Chester or Packim will hang out here if their item is placed inside a root trunk.
- Speaking of which, it's invisible so you can't actually see it, but the root trunk's main inventory is stored at 0,0! So at any given moment that a root trunk isn't open, all the items are invisible at the very center of the map.

Personally I live in SW and find crabbits there all the time, just chilling on the water. And I've also heard of people's DST worlds getting filled with skittersquids at 0,0.

8 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

That's likely coordinate 0,0, the very center of your world! Generally when something goes wrong with an entity and it doesn't know where it's supposed to be, it'll either spawn at or attempt to migrate to 0,0. In your case, it's likely that the pigs from those cities you busted down didn't have houses anymore, but still wanted to spawn for whatever reason, and so the game simply placed them down at 0,0. Usually with Hamlet's world gen, 0,0 tends to be on the Pugalisk island, so that lines up with your post pretty well.

Some other things you can observe at Hamlet's 0,0, now that you know its location:
- Pigs appearing like this when you bust down their houses or towers.
- At the very start of dusk, you can see the light from every lamp post in the world briefly flicker on at 0,0 before they all teleport to their respective lamp posts.
- If you've got any doydoys, you can hear doydoy death sounds perpetually playing at 0,0. In fact, you should try standing at the very center of 0,0 and listening closely: I've also heard some spooky water noises at Hamlet's, which I think were actually from the end's well?
- Flocks of pigeons sometimes show up at 0,0, I believe due to some kind of bug causing them to build up there rather than spawning in the city.
- Relics sometimes just kinda, show up? Who knows why.
- Ro Bin, Chester or Packim will hang out here if their item is placed inside a root trunk.
- Speaking of which, it's invisible so you can't actually see it, but the root trunk's main inventory is stored at 0,0! So at any given moment that a root trunk isn't open, all the items are invisible at the very center of the map.

Personally I live in SW and find crabbits there all the time, just chilling on the water. And I've also heard of people's DST worlds getting filled with skittersquids at 0,0.

I definitely found relics there too, and there was even a professor so yay more money. although a mob you didnt mention that i found at the spot were pikos, and i enjoyed watching a vine continuously smack a relic out of the piko's mouth, only for the piko to pick it up and get smacked over and over until it died, in which i could just take the relic.

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 3:47 AM, Sunset Skye said:

Speaking of which, it's invisible so you can't actually see it, but the root trunk's main inventory is stored at 0,0! So at any given moment that a root trunk isn't open, all the items are invisible at the very center of the map.

does that mean pogs can go through your stuff and you cant put them back unless you go all the way back to the real trunk?

(also unrelated question do all root trunks share the same inventory? can you have multiple sets of them?)

5 hours ago, Blue Moth said:

does that mean pogs can go through your stuff and you cant put them back unless you go all the way back to the real trunk?

It's not a physical, interactable chest, so I wouldn't think so.

5 hours ago, Blue Moth said:

(also unrelated question do all root trunks share the same inventory? can you have multiple sets of them?)

Root trunks all share the same inventory, it's like ender chests. You can't have sets, but they will have different inventories in different "layers," as in Hamlet, SW, RoG, caves, ruins, volcano. Root trunks won't share inventory across layers, only within a layer, which is kinda lame but it has some uses.

Another game breaking bug, the same thing can happen in Shipwrecked, I had every pig and stinkray spawn in the middle of the ocean everytime I load the game.

You would think a game breaking glitch like this would be fixed after like 3 years, but nope.

7 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Another game breaking bug, the same thing can happen in Shipwrecked, I had every pig and stinkray spawn in the middle of the ocean everytime I load the game.

This is not a "game breaking bug." This is a slightly annoying bug that has a chance to happen one time for any pig-spawning structure you break.

Is it annoying? Yeah. A bug? Yeah definitely. Game breaking? It doesn't break your game to see some pigs at the middle of the map. This doesn't repeat over and over like whatever you're describing.

5 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

This is not a "game breaking bug." This is a slightly annoying bug that has a chance to happen one time for any pig-spawning structure you break.

Is it annoying? Yeah. A bug? Yeah definitely. Game breaking? It doesn't break your game to see some pigs at the middle of the map. This doesn't repeat over and over like whatever you're describing.

I would call having my campfire teleported to the middle of the map during the middle of the night, and dying game breaking.

One time I guess I based too close to the center of the map and got attacked by 2 mactusks when loading in.

(edit:) It's not a super common bug, but its been going on for years, I don't quite understand why a lot of well known bugs that have major gameplay impacts are being ignored for upwards of 7 years.

21 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

I would call having my campfire teleported to the middle of the map during the middle of the night, and dying game breaking.

...How exactly do you know that it teleported to the middle of the map? It's a campfire, so no map icon, and you said you died, so it's not like you could check. Was it raining, maybe? Or if it's not vanilla, wind? Any other details?

4 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

...How exactly do you know that it teleported to the middle of the map? It's a campfire, so no map icon, and you said you died, so it's not like you could check. Was it raining, maybe? Or if it's not vanilla, wind? Any other details?

Because I revived at a touch stone, and eventually found my firepit sitting out on the water.

4 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Because I revived at a touch stone, and eventually found my firepit sitting out on the water.

Huh, very odd, I've never heard of this before. Again I'm gonna ask if you have any more details? For example, did the fire pit teleport instantly after placing, or did it happen randomly after a bit? Also were you using any mods at the time?

Just now, Sunset Skye said:

Huh, very odd, I've never heard of this before. Again I'm gonna ask if you have any more details? For example, did the fire pit teleport instantly after placing, or did it happen randomly after a bit? Also were you using any mods at the time?

I reloaded the game after fueling it and quitting for the day, I believe the bug can only happen when loading the game, perhaps when an entity gets loaded in when a player is close, I'm not quite sure on the details.

This happened in a regular Shipwrecked world, and I know I only ever use basic UI mods and an Abigail control mod for Shipwrecked, I'd say coding and modding is an area I have a fair bit of experience in, and the mods I use don't impact and world functions, or loading and saving properties, so it would have no impact on the cause of the issue.

It's a rare issue, but it's been in the game for a long time. I've seen occasional fixes for the problem, and I believe its become more of an issue with the introduction of the Hamlet Beta, though Shipwrecked had the same issue for awhile but that was patched. We both know that Hamlet hasn't gotten any serious bug fix patches for a long time now, and other issues like the shadow spawning component breaking upon unloading a shadow has existed since atleast 2013.

51 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

snip

thankyou for this clever insight! despite having been familiar with 0,0 storage for years(paper mario+ttyd, lol) i hadn't thought about it being in don't starve. for sure though it explains why after modding my cave generations to always have the stairs spawn around 0,0 my caves now have weird sounds and unusually large clusters of lightbulbs and other plants

Archived