Thoughts on new boat items.

As a massive boat baser, yes, these things are useful...But also not by much.

The lightning conductor is great, before this, a lot of space was being wasted by the lightning rod.

While the fire pump is great for space, it's not automatic. This is a massive issue when you're fishing in summer. There's nothing worse than just starting to reel a fish in and suddenly seeing smoke appear on your boat. With the ice-flingomatic, you don't have to worry about that. You don't have to stop fishing, loosing the lure and the fish, to put out the fire. You can't do that with the fire pump, so for now, I'm sticking to the ice-flingomatic for summer boats.

The deck illuminator isn't that useful either, as a good boat base is gonna need a fire pit no matter what. I suppose it's useful for sailing in spring?

Not suggesting these things should be changed, I like having the different options, just sharing my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Squirrel12 said:

Cooking and heat.

Cooking: This is hardly a necessity. A Crock Pot and an Ice/Salt Box will beat a Firepit/Dragonfly Furnace any day on that front. Any food you get at sea can either be eaten raw without any penalty or would be better utilized in the crock pot especially with the new leafy meat and barnacle recipes. And if you're worried about freshness, salt is abundant in the ocean and a Tin Fishin' Bin will keep your fish fresh indefinitely. (Plus, Ice Boxes and Salt Boxes are still a thing...)

Heat: This one's only an issue in the early game. A handful of Scorching Sunfish in a Tin Fishin' Bin can all your heating issues from the second winter onwards and without requiring tons of fuel to do that.

The only real benefit the Firepit has is light radius. Sailing at night with only a Deck Illuminator to light your way seems kinda... ill-advised.

9 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Cooking: This is hardly a necessity. A Crock Pot and an Ice/Salt Box will beat a Firepit/Dragonfly Furnace any day on that front. Any food you get at sea can either be eaten raw without any penalty or would be better utilized in the crock pot especially with the new leafy meat and barnacle recipes. And if you're worried about freshness, salt is abundant in the ocean and a Tin Fishin' Bin will keep your fish fresh indefinitely. (Plus, Ice Boxes and Salt Boxes are still a thing...)

Heat: This one's only an issue in the early game. A handful of Scorching Sunfish in a Tin Fishin' Bin can all your heating issues from the second winter onwards and without requiring tons of fuel to do that.

The only real benefit the Firepit has is light radius. Sailing at night with only a Deck Illuminator to light your way seems kinda... ill-advised.

I like being able to cook because my food rots.

Having a scaled furnace on your boat can be pretty demolishing during summer since you have no ability to turn it off, and firepits are now susceptible to Wavey Jones' toying around. Deck illuminator cannot be targeted by him, so it excels firepit at least in lighting aspect. 
And just like QuartzBeam stated, crockpot is the way to go when it comes to food items on the sea.

18 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

While the fire pump is great for space, it's not automatic. This is a massive issue when you're fishing in summer. There's nothing worse than just starting to reel a fish in and suddenly seeing smoke appear on your boat. With the ice-flingomatic, you don't have to worry about that. You don't have to stop fishing, loosing the lure and the fish, to put out the fire. You can't do that with the fire pump, so for now, I'm sticking to the ice-flingomatic for summer boats.

I haven't tried the beta, but when I heard the fire pump was manual I immediately wondered what the purpose of it was. The flingo is there so you can fish in summer without worrying about smoldering, but if the fire pump is manual why not just extinguish the item directly?

18 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

The deck illuminator isn't that useful either, as a good boat base is gonna need a fire pit no matter what. I suppose it's useful for sailing in spring?

The Scaled Furnace accomplishes the same thing as the fire pit, although with a poor light radius. Perhaps it would be helpful there. Depending on how fuel efficient the light is it might even be useful with a fire pit.

I also wouldn't say that all "good boat bases need a fire pit (or Scaled Furnace) no matter what", although a fire pit is one of the more useful structures you can put on and there's enough structures to place that I don't see why you wouldn't have one.

14 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Cooking: This is hardly a necessity. A Crock Pot and an Ice/Salt Box will beat a Firepit/Dragonfly Furnace any day on that front.

And a crock pot, preserver, and furnace will beat just a crock pot and preserver any day of the week. Cooking food on either a fire or in a crock pot will both remove half of the spoilage from it so if you have both you could allow an item to get to 1% freshness twice and still eat it without stale penalties. There's also some foods that are better to eat cooked than crock potted, and even more if you're starving and don't have the proper ingredients to utilize certain food properly.

That's true if you never let anyone else on your boat and don't set sail until at least 5 hours into a world, but then summer'll be harder since you'll have to use actual thermal stones instead of thermal fish.

Even during the day sailing from the map will show you more and the map isn't affected by how much light you have, so the only light you need is enough to ward off Charlie and touch the proper parts of the boat to adjust speed. 

9 hours ago, Charesque said:

Having a scaled furnace on your boat can be pretty demolishing during summer since you have no ability to turn it off, and firepits are now susceptible to Wavey Jones' toying around. Deck illuminator cannot be targeted by him, so it excels firepit at least in lighting aspect. 
And just like QuartzBeam stated, crockpot is the way to go when it comes to food items on the sea.

If you capture winter fish they'll prevent you from overheating and never spoil if you have a tin fishin' bin. You could also probably put it on a corner if you want your boat to look ugly.

On 7/5/2020 at 2:19 PM, Cheggf said:

I haven't tried the beta, but when I heard the fire pump was manual I immediately wondered what the purpose of it was. The flingo is there so you can fish in summer without worrying about smoldering, but if the fire pump is manual why not just extinguish the item directly?

The fire pump so far can be activate by player constantly, just need one touch ,it is automatic if one stand still and touching it.

On 7/5/2020 at 5:08 AM, Charesque said:

Also having a scale furnace is ironicaly wasting more space and fuel than a simple firepit. Unless you are a Willow, you will get overheat alots by the furnace, and need to fuel the endo firepit. Deck illuminator provides light without overheat players, it is a pretty good choice for sailing in summer, till you can your hand on winter fish. ( it still gets target by Wavey Jones though )

18 hours ago, Charesque said:

See, I just never sail unless it's winter. Summer is what the caves are for!

While the new upgrades are nice, I'm really hoping there's more to come. I've heard of people suggest Driftwood Boats, a faster & frail-er version of the boat. Someone also suggested a Living Boat, with varying effects like passive regeneration, thorns, & high sanity aura. I've also heard of a really interesting upgrade: Thulecite borders for lowering/removing collision DMG.

Archived