Small suggestion about Walter.

Hi everyone, I hope you all enjoy playing Walter, and that you have all enjoyed the animated short ! 
I made this topic, because I have somes suggestions, that I want to give, and I want to be sure that they're visible by the majority of people.

First of all, my thought on Walter :

I really love him, just, the design of this character is adorable, he makes me melt ! It's like, woah, 2cute4u. And in terms of gameplay, I really like him too. I love how the system with the sanity works, I don't think it's too horrible, it's a great downside. I don't mind too much about the "minor" perks, like cooking faster on a fire or having sanity regen when close to alot of trees, it's nice, it's coherant with the character, they're fine.
I love Woby, it's a really good girl, she is even better now with the "fixed hunger" system.

The only problem I have with Walter is his slingshot. I love the all the rounds, they're great, they have really fine damage, the actual problem I have with, is the DPS (Damage Per Second). Maybe you haven't tried the slingshot yet, but it's really slow, like, it's almost impossible to keep a good distance with monsters abit faster than average, and it's really painful to see this, for a character who would rely way more on ranged weapons.

What I would love to see : 

The slingshot is actually, fine in terms of raw damage, the marbles do 51 damage, it's not that costly, it's some really good damage for the poor price.
The problem is like I've said before, the DPS (Damage Per Second), the slingshot is really slow, and, making it abit faster wouldn't be too much I think.
We can imagine that the slingshot as the same speed as the darts, it would be a cheaper version, with multiple effects with the rounds, it would be a good weapon.
I have another suggestion, it's about Woby, and the slingshot. It would be awesome, to be able to shoot with the slingshot when running on Woby, I don't know if it's possible or not, but, if it is, it would make the slingshot maybe even more enjoyable than the darts, shooting and running at the same time, it would make Woby abit more useful (I love her too much, I can't imagine playing and ignoring her)

A short and clear list of what I would like to see  :
- Making the slingshot being able to shoot a little bit faster (like darts)
- Being able to shoot and running when on Woby (if possible)

That's all everyone, if anyone have some cool ideas, just share them here, I read everything !

4 minutes ago, Le Rafistoleur said:

We can imagine that the slingshot as the same speed as the darts, it would be a cheaper version, with multiple effects with the rounds, it would be a good weapon.

It would make slingshot way too good, darts already are very expensive to make.

6 minutes ago, Le Rafistoleur said:

I have another suggestion, it's about Woby, and the slingshot. It would be awesome, to be able to shoot with the slingshot when running on Woby, I don't know if it's possible or not, but, if it is, it would make the slingshot maybe even more enjoyable than the darts, shooting and running at the same time.

You can shoot while mounted but you need to stop for the animation (I think, my brain is foggy).

6 minutes ago, Le Rafistoleur said:

The problem is like I've said before, the DPS (Damage Per Second), the slingshot is really slow, and, making it abit faster wouldn't be too much I think.

I think this is a bad idea. Currently the slingshot trades dps for relative safety with it's range. If it's speed was equal to darts (and melee weapons), there would be no trade off, and it would be unquestionably the best weapon in terms of damage, availability of materials, and safety. Ranged weapons should never be on par with melee because ranged weapons trivialize the already basic combat system of DST.

Just now, Sweaper said:

It would make slingshot way too good, darts already are very expensive to make.

You can shoot while mounted but you need to stop for the animation (I think, my brain is foggy).

Actually, I think that only Walter can use the slingshot ? So as a character-only weapon , I don't think it's that much op, he is a ranged weapon user, I think he should have a reliable way to fight, but I understand why you say this.

And about Woby you're right, but it would be awesome to, like run and gun, basically ~ It could be a really nice way to participate in combat (I'm thinking more about the Bee Queen, he clearly can't use melee, and he should still be able to flee if grumble bees target him)

2 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I think this is a bad idea. Currently the slingshot trades dps for relative safety with it's range. If it's speed was equal to darts (and melee weapons), there would be no trade off, and it would be unquestionably the best weapon in terms of damage, availability of materials, and safety. Ranged weapons should never be on par with melee because ranged weapons trivialize the already basic combat system of DST.

I see... that's clearly not wrong, I understand what you mean, I just imagined that as a character-only weapon, that the character in question is Walter, who is really vulnerable to damage, a faster ranged weapon would be really better for him, without being the best weapon of the game (With some maths that I'm not gonna share here because it's really long and boring and hard to read, if you farm marbles with the beans, it's faster to gather 5 nightmare fuel + one living log than 6 marbles, even if you have an incredible luck on stage 2 marble shrubs).

I'd like to, when you fire at an enemy, be able to keep targeting that particular enemy with your slingshot until you manually target another one. Gets kind of annoying when you try to shoot an enemy and end up shooting a bee or a butterfly instead.

Just like what we mentioned last time, Rafi, I'd be happy if we get this thing to increase the slingshot's DPS but not all of the time, just an item accelerating the shooting rate.

And the best candidate for this role should be Walter's hat, it have an okay comportment but since it gives you no damage protection in close combat, it actually suggest you to attack from distance with the slingshot... and at this point you don't really need the hat then since there's not much mobs that can attack from here, reducing sanity damages is gonna be quite optional in distance.

That could be a fair upgrade of the hat without changing the original Walter stats, that are correct at now.

I don't want, or don't need the animation of the Slingshot to be quicker. All I want, is us to be able to move to cancel the animation, because it is sooooooooooooo long! if for the tenth of a second, you hold down the f key for longer, you are stuck there for what feels like an eternity. And this can be very dangerous at times, if you get stuck for a whole second, a pack o hounds will easily catch up to you and tear your scout bum to pieces, which isn't always useful.

The hit animation is slow because if not it will be op, like all good range weapons. If you can do the same dps as melee but without being hit what is the point of having that downside?

I think they did a great work. For 1 thulecite and 6 nightmere fuel you get an stack of thulecite ammo, pretty cheap. For 6 gold the same, is efficient that giving him more dps will end in spaming that weapon

If you look closely, the initial shot of the sling also has significant huge prep time aswell as not being able to cancel the shot.

these are no coincidence. Klei didn't want the sling to be your everyday kiting. it's to force walter to commit as a support while the target is busy with other things, usually your own teammates.

Archived