Steam turbine bug?

I'm trying some designs of volcano tamers, and I'm cooling turbines here with a pool of oil. When they stop working due to the steam temp, they somehow don't stop producing their standard 4 kDTU/s. At some point, they go above 100 C and then there's no stopping this. While working, they produce this crazy amount of heat on the image.

It's just that I don't know if this is OK

Lol no worries, just a noob problem

image.png.b3e2fd3e085c412309a5315068fcc8ad.png

I still don't know why'd they heat up while not in use

What's power generation waste?

56 minutes ago, sheaker said:

From the image it looks like Your turbines is in full load. 850 watt, green bar.

Yeah the image seems completely unrelated to the issue. The turbine is working at max capacity. In fact, steam is above 200C, so it's actually deleting heat w/o converting it into power. At 200C it's around 90kDTU/s (I don't recall the exact number, but it's a bit less than that). Everything above that  it's wasted heat. In this case about 160kDTU are destroyed from steam w/o any power produced. One inlet should be closed in this situation.

2 hours ago, GovorunBird said:

I'm cooling turbines here with a pool of oil.

And what are you cooling the oil with?

2 hours ago, GovorunBird said:

What's power generation waste?

10% of the heat destroyed from the steam. It's ok up to 86kDTU/s (again I've not checked the precise value, it's on the wiki). Everything above that is not used to produce power. Basicly you're exceeding the power generation of the turbine. AFAIK, there's no hard limit on the head deletion capability. A single turbine can destroy a huge amount of heat, but it's limited to 850W (untuned of course). That limit is reached at about 860kDTU/s of heat destroyed. Your turbine is destroying 975kDTU/s at them moment of the second picture. 115kDTU/s are wasted. (It's a bit less than the first picture).

It seems to me that either you're thinking of a self cooling setup, in this case your steam temperature is completely off, it should be below 135C instead of 200+C, or you're not telling us something important, that is how you're actively cooling down the turbine, which you definitely should be doing. Lack of proper cooling seems the problem here.

That doesn't mean it is currently producing 4kDTU/s, it also says 850W but that isn't happening.

My guess would be that you are bleeding heat from the steam chamber to the turbine somehow. Possibly a bridge that crosses the insulated tiles or just natural conduction. Post a save or screenshots that show everything.

30 minutes ago, wachunga said:

Possibly a bridge that crosses the insulated tiles or just natural conduction.

I would second the bridge... there is something small to see behind the turbine, where the piping leads to. I would say, it is a liquid bridge into the steam room.

1 hour ago, GovorunBird said:

I'm really sorry to ask this question at this point, but why is the turbine generating 4kDTU/s even while disabled? I tested it in vacuum, and it is increasing in temperature.

Are You sure Your steam turbine temperature is increasing when disabled by automation grid?

+1 for the guilty bridge. Common issue. Or a rail somewhere. Could also be misplaced tempshift plate. But as said before by others, de-zoomed screenshots of your layers will highly probably allow us to give you the answer.

Archived