Declining pacu population

Hi, this is my set-up:

image.thumb.png.8c68ecf3b0d08131ce39a3365962e384.png

Each basin was designed to house 8 pacus (96 tiles of liquid each). I was told that a Pacu (unless cramped) creates at least one egg before it dies. So, all eggs are immediately transferred to the breeding chamber for its respective basin, where, behind closed doors, it turns into a fish, the door opens, and it safely lands back into the basin. As such, no cramped effect can ever occur here. The fish are killed with the stations only once 95% of their lifetime has passed - again, a fish is still guaranteed to produce at least one egg before it's "95%" birthday.

Let's reiterate it once again:

• eggs can't be stolen by duplicants and made into omelettes
  • each fish will continue its lineage by producing at least one offspring
  • the fish are never cramped at any time

So, why is my fish population declining? I've seen at several times that my basins have fewer and fewer fish, and whenever I repopulate the basins again, they drop down. 

Most likely it's either the water temp or the random chance of a different breed of fish being laid.  I see you're using tropical types.  If the water is too cold, they might be dying too soon.  Or, if the water is warm enough, then a random gulp fish egg will result in a decline of population since gulp fish can't live in water warm enough for tropical types.

5 hours ago, Soulwind said:

Most likely it's either the water temp or the random chance of a different breed of fish being laid.  I see you're using tropical types.  If the water is too cold, they might be dying too soon.  Or, if the water is warm enough, then a random gulp fish egg will result in a decline of population since gulp fish can't live in water warm enough for tropical types.

How do you stop it? Seems like no matter what fish have at least 1% chance of laying a gulp eg..

1 hour ago, Tobruk said:

How do you stop it? Seems like no matter what fish have at least 1% chance of laying a gulp eg..

Sadly, you don't. Best you can do is have a "breeding" chamber for Pacus that feeds 1-5kg of algae to a Pacu or 2 a couple times a day to increase your population.

A properly set up conveyor system and small hatching rooms can keep your current set up full at all times. 

You'll get 2+ eggs over the 25 cycle lifespan even though the Pacu will be starving a good portion of the time. 

14 hours ago, Tobruk said:

The only way I found is to have the water exactly in the temperature-range were all survive. That is pretty much a pain and one reason I have given up on Pacus.

8 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Keep the temp of the water between 10 and 25 C, as all 3 types can survive in water at these temps.

Exactly. And make sure to either cycle the water to mix it or have temp-shift plates all over the tank. I had Pacus dying because hey stopped moving and there was one tile that was too cold.

Archived