How to rush and defeat the Dragonfly

The Dragonfly can be a tricky boss to defeat: you need good timing to dodge her attacks, she spawns annoying lavaes that will attack you and she has a high health pool of 27500 health. So here is the tips that are needed to rush / defeat her.

First of all, you need to prepare for this battle. They are 2 things that will make preparing for her easier: first of all, if you see butterflies, kill them. As long as you can fight dragonfly relatively soon, having those sweet +8 health wings will make it so you will not need 30000 blue mushrooms to defeat her. Secondly, instead of making a long rock wall, make a short one and put a sign between the rock walls or use a burned tree instead. You will need 5-8 football helmets, a fresh ham bat, 12 rock walls, 2 signs, and 400 health of healing food. Do not forget to bring a pan flute.

Secondly, you need to fight her. Disable lag compensation or the caves, otherwise the fight might get laggy and the Dragonfly will get weird hits on you. Here are the kiting patterns depending on the situation:If you just got hit by her: hit 7 times and then dodge. If you just dodged one of her attacks, hit 6 times and then run away. If you want to go behind her, attack her 4,5-5 hits (,5=cancel an attack) and move away. If you want to change the battle angle of 90 degrees, hit her 5,5 times and move away. If she becomes enraged, either instantly use a pan flute or run away, let her slam the ground and then use it. 

And now, a few little things to be careful about:if you come to close to the lavaes that are stuck on the wall will jump threw it. Also, do not go to far away from her spawn point of else she will despawn (you can use it to dodge the first hit of the fight if you go back to her original position).

Hope you found this guide usefull!

Tip 1) don't forget to prototype rock walls before you walk all the way across the map from your rush alchemy engine thinking "I'll mine the rocks there to build the wall, and then fight her."

i dont understand why the confused icons when is a well explain guide. More usefull than spaming the same screenshot over and over

people fear her but when you get the pattern and have a wall to protect you is one of the easiest fights so maybe reading this more people will try to enjoy one of the best loots from the game

@x0-VERSUS-1y well who wants to play on public servers? Laggy games, bad or toxic players, not to mention that people iwll randomly leave the game. You are better off playing with people you know. Also, disabling lag compensation really helps a lot.

3 hours ago, chenais said:

@x0-VERSUS-1y well who wants to play on public servers? Laggy games, bad or toxic players, not to mention that people iwll randomly leave the game. You are better off playing with people you know. Also, disabling lag compensation really helps a lot.

I feel personally attacked

4 hours ago, chenais said:

well who wants to play on public servers?

Pretty much everyone. Plenty of People play solo, but many people play on public servers nonetheless. 

10 hours ago, chenais said:

+8 health wings will make it so you will not need 30000 blue mushrooms

Look, I'm no boss rusher, or the one to argue about a game. But don't...don't most people use pierogis or jerky or something that gives at least 20 HP back? Not to mention that blue caps give 20 HP back and a longer spoilage time? Not to start an argument, but wouldn't that be the other way around? If you start off with something about sanity drain then you can use cooked green caps to counter it. 

14 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Laggy games, bad or toxic players, not to mention that people iwll randomly leave the game.

1. will*

2. Yes it can get laggy, but most people pull through anyways.

3. I'm (not) sure if you understand this or not but toxic/bad players are incredibly mild compared to hundreds of other multiplayer games today. Most of the "bad" y'ere talkin' 'bout are usually kids who's parents aren't takin' care of em' right. Sure, the Teen rating might counter and make a few people cautious but bein' a dang kid myself won't exactly stop em' from playin' it. However in the end, badness or toxicity is entirely a matter of perspective.

4. They don't randomly leave, they either go because they have somethin' to do (Usually personal), crashing or just accidentally turnin' off the computer. The spot they leave usually gets filled in by another or sometimes they can't find it, or maybe they will come back, who knows but it entirely depends on them. Ya'll can't forget those are other people their own lives to worry about.

14 minutes ago, zee_dragon said:

Look, I'm no boss rusher, or the one to argue about a game. But don't...don't most people use pierogis or jerky or something that gives at least 20 HP back? Not to mention that blue caps give 20 HP back and a longer spoilage time? Not to start an argument, but wouldn't that be the other way around? If you start off with something about sanity drain then you can use cooked green caps to counter it. 

While you probably wouldn't farm enough butterflies to take care of all of your healing during dfly - its not a bad idea to grab some of these for dfly if you are doing it solo, especially if you're not Wolfgang.  The reason is that with good kiting you will take only 1 hit when you first engage her and you will be able to dodge all the rest of her attacks, and then she will fly off to summon lavae.  While she does this you have plenty of time to spam smaller heals to top off your health before she comes back, at which point you will take 1 hit again as you engage her.

If you have an ice staff you can dodge even the first hit allowing you to fight her with zero healing provided you never mess up.  If you are pretty good with an ice staff you might fight her with just a single football helmet and a handful of butterflies in case you mess up once or twice.

Whie I say this - I wouldn't advise butterflies as healing unless you were already pretty experienced against dfly to the point where you get hit only once each engage, or if you're using ice staff to dodge even that most times.  If you need to chug down healing while in the middle of fighting her often butterflies are going to be very bad.

11 hours ago, chenais said:

For a lot of players - myself included - KLei official servers have best connectivity. In my case 2 KLei servers are always in top of list (regarding ping), with around 60-80 ping. Then is a community server from my country with ~ 90 ping (the irony). Rest of them go over 100.

Griefers aside, I like playing with people even if only to read the chat and see how they go-about game's trials and tribulations or adjacent interactions. Most of my Steam friends are also doing pubs (and of mention is that majority of them I've met in said pubs/community servers), thus another plus for going to public servers. I've played alone a lot in beginning, and after doing all content over-and-over again, testing mods, and whatnot, got bored. Am not into mega-basing so no incentive to go that route.

I've tried playing with lag compensation off on multiple occasions but was very distracting for me pressing keys and seeing action occur with about 0.2-0.5s delay (extreme cases >1s delay). Even more so as I have a faulty keyboard (W and Space have issues) and makes me question at times if is ping's fault or keys' problem.

Over time I've adapted to these ping problems (-1/-2/-3 hit/s on most mob patterns so that kite still remains viable), yet very-narrow time-window kite patterns like Dragonfly's can't be reliable mitigated as my variable rubberbanding (old and faulty cabling in my area) makes it impossible to predict. As a funny side-effect of this high ping-rubberbanding combination: I can't consistently stun-lock AG on most servers - one less "exploit" out of my "sneaky arsenal".

54 minutes ago, chenais said:

its just that you have a chance of meeting people like this on public servers. 

You never actually said you had a chance of finding these players, so many people mistook it as you were talking about all of them. Maybe you should proof-read your own comments before you post them. Or maybe just reconsider your choice of words.

Also, 

it's*

its=its

it's= it is

what i personally do to fight the dragonfly is get 24 stone walls and find the furthest lavapond from the dragonfly wich is easy to find. 12 walls left and right on the lava pond and stay there and tank the crap out of dragonfly. wendy, abigail and wolfgang can get easy 3 stuns in 1 fight. but any character can do it *except warly*. if you wanna do it duo i suggest you get 10-15 healing items since you'll be cheesing the lavae and its just dragonfly herself. if dragonfly enrages dont hit her and take distance from the walls but not too much that she flies off because you exit her arena. if she ground pounds hit that panflute.

i always love fighting her with another character.

The experience playing pub servers is very different and in many ways inferior to playing on a persistent server alone (and especially with friends).  It's good for some things (rush strats, meme strats where it's ok if you die) but most of them reset the first day of winter and you never get to experience any season other than autumn.  Not to mention frequent griefer interaction which you otherwise don't have to worry about at all.

I've played on pub servers and it's pretty fun watching people die to starvation and spiders left and right, but there's not a lot of variety to the experience and it really doesn't improve your ability to play the game beyond a very basic level.

As far as the guide is concerned, 400 health in healing supplies is an awful lot of butterfly wings and you'd probably be better served by using the ice staff to dodge the first hit.

1 hour ago, Toros said:

The experience playing pub servers is very different and in many ways inferior to playing on a persistent server alone (and especially with friends).  It's good for some things (rush strats, meme strats where it's ok if you die) but most of them reset the first day of winter and you never get to experience any season other than autumn.  Not to mention frequent griefer interaction which you otherwise don't have to worry about at all.

I've played on pub servers and it's pretty fun watching people die to starvation and spiders left and right, but there's not a lot of variety to the experience and it really doesn't improve your ability to play the game beyond a very basic level.

From my experience with them pubs I beg to differ: playing in vanilla KLei official/un-moderated dedicated Survival servers teaches you how to nomad efficiently and/or camp in very dangerous places like Cave Swamp, Inner Ruins, Labyrinth entrance, Main complete Ancient Pseudoscience Station, Atrium etc. To build minimal and use extra-small quantities of resources, micromanage all aspects of your survival experience. To deal with challenges imposed by mostly-detrimental presence of other inexperienced/griefing players. And you can find like-minded individuals with whom to play in future via Steam Friendship. A lot to write about pub experiences (good and bad) but in my case if playing pubs was not an option I would've abandoned this game a long time ago. Pubs provide a wide range of entertainment from a lot of standpoints. Yes, if your plan is a long-term efficiently developed base and judiciously farming resources, mobs, bosses over repeated sessions in same pub, then indeed public Survival vanilla servers are not the place for it.

31 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

From my experience with them pubs I beg to differ: playing in vanilla KLei official/un-moderated dedicated Survival servers teaches you how to nomad efficiently 

By its very nature, nomad playstyle is inefficient compared to basing normally for worlds that are intended to last more than a season or two.  Being efficient as a nomad mostly involves destructive collection of resources in places you don't intend to return to (such as digging up mushrooms).

31 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

camp in very dangerous places like Cave Swamp, Inner Ruins, Labyrinth entrance, Main complete Ancient Pseudoscience Station, Atrium etc. 

Cave swamp isn't particularly dangerous and neither is the atrium (though it certainly can be inconvenient to try to fight fuelweaver with your base in the way).  Most of the rest of the locations listed are pretty easy to base in except for nightmare fissues/lights.

41 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

To build minimal and use extra-small quantities of resources, micromanage all aspects of your survival experience. 

You're certainly building less because you're moving more, but that means you'll actually consume more resources due to the innate inefficiency of not having useful structures like drying racks, fridges, firepits, crockpots nearby.  Being efficient with resources is always to your benefit regardless of your chosen strategy.

46 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

To deal with challenges imposed by mostly-detrimental presence of other inexperienced/griefing players. And you can find like-minded individuals with whom to play in future via Steam Friendship. A lot to write about pub experiences (good and bad) but in my case if playing pubs was not an option I would've abandoned this game a long time ago. Pubs provide a wide range of entertainment from a lot of standpoints. Yes, if your plan is a long-term efficiently developed base and judiciously farming resources, mobs, bosses over repeated sessions in same pub, then indeed public Survival vanilla servers are not the place for it.

There's a reason I said "in many ways inferior" instead of "in all ways inferior" and meeting people and enjoying the chaos is the reason why.  I'm not sure what you learn from having inexperienced players or griefers around, other than to not base in obvious areas in a pub... at which point you're essentially playing a solo experience on a public server.

Caves and ruins are available to you in short term worlds, but if 90% of your playtime is autumn surface and caves you're missing out on a lot of content.  Half of winter, all of spring, all of summer.  How often is fuelweaver or crab king or malbatross or even toadstool completed on pub servers except by people who already know each other and leave other players behind?  At that point, you might as well just have someone host and join their private game.

I'm glad you enjoy your playstyle and there's no "wrong" way to enjoy a game but the fact remains that a lot of content is unavailable to you if you just play official pub servers.  How can you get better at the game as a whole if you only engage with maybe 1/3 the content?

Variety in term of personal experience with pubs comes down to one's goal/plan for current pub session. I for one don't go only on Autumn day 1 severs (actually I tend to avoid those), but on any season/day I find interesting for my chosen plan for respective session. In fact I love Mid-Winter/Mid-Summer spawn-runs. And as a Willow main I have all my desired tools/advantages for my nomad play. On a session I might want to rush Moon in winter, Hermit Island in summer, spring Ruins rush under rain etc. Personal goals. Sometimes I will find in those places people. And see how they went about their current session. When you find someone camping in Wilds/entrance to Ruins clearly is not some random newbie/noob. You can observe what tricks they have up their proverbial sleeve in handling various things (snails farm, Toad cheese, sanity cheese with specific character etc). You can discover more bugs, exploits and more. For someone that knows precisely 0 programming and doesn't really watch YouTube much on such topics (I prefer the old Trial&Error), is fun to see what others' shenanigans are. Yes am sure I could discover in a day most of the not-so-known strats on obscure Reddit-and-such or look at LUA code (if I knew anything about that beyond superficial very-well-known stuff). Yet I prefer pubs. Also I consider one's experience is not complete without checking up some pub runs. You'll see trends over time in the casual populace like character popularity, base-place bias and more (yes, things one can learn via personal mods inquiring server lists I presume, something beyond my abilities). In the end depends what each player expects from their runs. If all one wants is maximum efficiency in all aspects, again, then disregard pubs.

PS: with 1-2 Steam friends and knowledgeable team-play casuals from pubs I did in past certain runs all in-game content (all in 1 run), thus is more than possible. With minimal resources. Depends how much time you are willing to invest in something you know won't last. Like life's experiences. A matter of personal preference.

i mean if playing on a pub server she s really easy to tank if u have a team, she ll only hit one player at a time, giving your team plenty of time to retreat and heal. It's just the raging part that you have to be aware of and keep the panflute handy. Even solo you can tank her fairly easy with wolfgang or wigfrid, but you do burn a little through resources by doing so.

If you want to kite her however, it does require a decent connection and some practice, but obviously feels more rewarding than pressing F :D.

Archived