Ocean particles based on weather

Similar to Shipwrecked. I think it would be really nice to have changes in the sea according to the weather. I made this little change in water particles and I think it would look really cool in the game. 

How my suggestion works:

Spoiler

Autumn=
Pattern: Calm
... If it rains 
Default: Medium

Winter = 
Pattern: Medium
... If snow or covered ground
Default: Agitated

Spring=

Summer=
Pattern: Normal
... if it rains 

Overlaps all=
... If full moon

Sorry for the grammatical errors in the video

maybe waves?

Spoiler

Can we just have actual ocean waves added to the game already?? 

YES the boats are slow and would be impossible to navigate AROUND Waves like in DS Shipwrecked.

And that’s why they shouldn’t be programmed Like Shipwrecked Waves!! DST Waves should Instead-

Rush over the surface of your boat, it won’t damage the boat, or hard placed structures that are on the boat.. like the Cooking pot, Campfire, Etc.. What it WOULD do is rush over the surface of your boat and wash you backwards a step or two not that bad as long as you can stay ON the boat.. but if enough waves hit you, you’ll eventually go over the edge of your boat.

The goal here is to bring life to that peacefully flat sea, make ocean waves a small nuisance but not a serious threat... You see a wave coming, maneuver yourself on that large Platform your standing on out of its path. DUH!

Edit- When I suggest this idea I’m also thinking about DST’s FUTURE, To make this into a TL:DR- Using the current boat while playing as a SOLO Player is a pain in the Butt..

Which is exactly why I want Shipwrecked style boats added to the game, Smaller.. easier to handle, can carry 1 or 2 persons.

WAVES will wash over and not damage the Boat Cookie, but these Smaller 2 man boats.. will be hit and take damage identical to DS Shipwrecked.

The Waves then provide unique challenge to both the Multiplayer “Cookie Boat” And the Smaller “Transportation Boat”

Transport Boats can’t be turned into an At Sea Base... with Cookpots, Tents etc.. basically all the tools one needs to live with, What they WOULD have are Sails & craftables Boat Lanterns.

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The goal here is to bring life to that peacefully flat sea, make ocean waves a small nuisance but not a serious threat... You see a wave coming, maneuver yourself on that large Platform your standing on out of its path. DUH!

Imagine how many lures you could waste because of a simple wave moving you.

29 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Can we just have actual ocean waves added to the game already?? 

YES the boats are slow and would be impossible to navigate AROUND Waves like in DS Shipwrecked.

And that’s why they shouldn’t be programmed Like Shipwrecked Waves!! DST Waves should Instead-

Rush over the surface of your boat, it won’t damage the boat, or hard placed structures that are on the boat.. like the Cooking pot, Campfire, Etc.. What it WOULD do is rush over the surface of your boat and wash you backwards a step or two not that bad as long as you can stay ON the boat.. but if enough waves hit you, you’ll eventually go over the edge of your boat.

Edit- When I suggest this idea I’m also thinking about DST’s FUTURE, To make this into a TL:DR- Using the current boat while playing as a SOLO Player is a pain in the Butt..

Which is exactly why I want Shipwrecked style boats added to the game, Smaller.. easier to handle, can carry 1 or 2 persons.

WAVES will wash over and not damage the Boat Cookie, but these Smaller 2 man boats.. will be hit and take damage identical to DS Shipwrecked.

The Waves then provide unique challenge to both the Multiplayer “Cookie Boat” And the Smaller “Transportation Boat”

Transport Boats can’t be turned into an At Sea Base... with Cookpots, Tents etc.. basically all the tools one needs to live with, What they WOULD have are Sails & craftables Boat Lanterns.

Have you thought of something like that?

20 minutes ago, Charesque said:

Imagine how many lures you could waste because of a simple wave moving you.

Shouldnt Winter water be calmer? Since the freezing temperatures would calm it down a bit

Also a bit unrelated but I would absolutely love to see Ice sheets in Winter! Been a wish of mine since RoT started. Imagine finding a temporary biome that's a giant ice sheet, and it melts away after winter. It could have some really cool resources!

Also, for the waves video you showed. God no please I would despite sailing if waves were added that way.

6 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Shouldnt Winter water be calmer? Since the freezing temperatures would calm it down a bit

Also a bit unrelated but I would absolutely love to see Ice sheets in Winter! Been a wish of mine since RoT started. Imagine finding a temporary biome that's a giant ice sheet, and it melts away after winter. It could have some really cool resources!

Also, for the waves video you showed. God no please I would despite sailing if waves were added that way.

My idea with the strong waves in winter would be because of the winds (not yet implemented). I agree with you. It's a terror to sail with this boat, especially with waves. But I think eventually Klei's going to add that. Because it's an ocean, it makes more sense not to have it.

The waves hitting the boat and pushing it backwards would be incredibly annoying & even more time consuming then the sea already is.. which is why I would rather them roll over the top of the boat and keep going without forcing the boat backward, hitting the player.. pushes them, but not the boat itself.

This turns waves into an actual obstacle you’ll want to Dodge.. but as the player, not the entire boat.

one more important thing to note, waves rushing TOWARD the boat should roll over its surface, But if you hit a wave that’s rushing AWAY from the boat it will give you a Small Speed Boost.

For those who want to use in mod form. The file is attached. Just extract and enable in game.

Spoiler

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods

Water particles work on any server. While waves (optional, default disabled, all need to have)

Waves Mod.rar

Yeah, it's worth noting here that in Shipwrecked waves do behave very differently depending on which angle you hit them at.  If it's from behind, it gives you a speed boost and the character will say something like "WHEEEE!!"  If from the side, however, it damages the boat slightly and the character will complain about being wet.  

I'm not sure how to program that (or anything else) in, but if you want an example of how Klei has done waves before, that's how.

EDIT:  Although, to be fair, it _is_ a lot harder to tell where the "front" "back" or "side" is for a ROUND boat, than on the ones from Shipwrecked...

--These waves all look pretty tall.  Maybe more than one size, and save the ones in the video for spring?

--I loved the first video because it was just so _cool_ and pretty to see the lighting for the different seasons fade into and out of each other like that.  :)

...Notorious

What if a special iceboat skin was introduced, or an actual iceboat. Made using blue gems, ice, and a relevant resource, the ice drift is a boat with a natural cooling effect, and doesn't affect anything in winter. It will loose more durability quicker during summer, and regains durability during winter. It could be repaired with ice, and something similar to that resource. Perhaps a marble-ice boat that looses durability to a certain point, then only loses it when it hits something else. 

15 hours ago, Xenologist said:

What if a special iceboat skin was introduced, or an actual iceboat. Made using blue gems, ice, and a relevant resource, the ice drift is a boat with a natural cooling effect, and doesn't affect anything in winter. It will loose more durability quicker during summer, and regains durability during winter. It could be repaired with ice, and something similar to that resource. Perhaps a marble-ice boat that looses durability to a certain point, then only loses it when it hits something else. 

Pretty sure that will never happen lol

Archived