Under the Garden

A long while back I was always on the look-out for interesting survival games, when I came across one with a very odd name, Under the Garden. The game is a survival side-scroller with simple graphics. There's no story except what you make of it as you begin the game among the ruins of your cabin. From there you collect lost gear, like your trusty axe, collect firewood (with said axe, ala Terraria style) to feed the fire necessarily to stay warm. Rain and cold are your enemies... along with various other beasties like bears.

post-1142-13764589363768_thumb.jpg

The game isn't all that long, but it's free and fun. So why not give it a try? Maybe it will even give you some ideas on what we can suggest for Don't Starve. Or remind you about it:

http://www.paul-greasley.com/garden/garden.zip

Interesting concept and it does indeed remind me of Terraria in some ways. It is very barebones, but that is to be expected of a free game I suppose. It also reminds me of what is the biggest challenge to survive in a game, unknown things that you have not learned the mechanics of yet.

One interesting mechanic in the game is connected with the blue bar at the bottom of the screen. In simple terms it's your character's health... but it's more than that. Over time it depletes, and eating food restores it... but so does standing in the warmth of a stove's fire. The bar is dramatically increased when you're injured, but during a bear attack... but it also lowers more quickly when you're standing out in the rain or within a snowstorm on the mountain. At one point you can wear a pelt jacket that lowers the effects of the environment against your "health bar".

It would be interesting if Don't Starve had a similar effect when weather is introduced. Maybe standing in the cold rain would slowly decrease your health, making you sneeze every now and then. But creating an umbrella or other shelter would protect you... just like in a real survival situation.

If winter or frozen islands are introduced them maybe furs would need to be collected to stay warm, or else just like the rain a character's health would slowly deteriorate. Of course a camp fire would help keep you warm too, but you would be less mobile.

One interesting mechanic in the game is connected with the blue bar at the bottom of the screen. In simple terms it's your character's health... but it's more than that. Over time it depletes, and eating food restores it... but so does standing in the warmth of a stove's fire. The bar is dramatically increased when you're injured, but during a bear attack... but it also lowers more quickly when you're standing out in the rain or within a snowstorm on the mountain. At one point you can wear a pelt jacket that lowers the effects of the environment against your "health bar".

It would be interesting if Don't Starve had a similar effect when weather is introduced. Maybe standing in the cold rain would slowly decrease your health, making you sneeze every now and then. But creating an umbrella or other shelter would protect you... just like in a real survival situation.

If winter or frozen islands are introduced them maybe furs would need to be collected to stay warm, or else just like the rain a character's health would slowly deteriorate. Of course a camp fire would help keep you warm too, but you would be less mobile.

Funny how i thought the third meter would be the cold meter, and you got the same idea (and the beefalo hat would reduce the cold gauge depletion).

Funny how i thought the third meter would be the cold meter, and you got the same idea (and the beefalo hat would reduce the cold gauge depletion).

There have been multiple guesses as to the nature of the mysterious THIRD GAUGE which Kevin brought up. The possibilities so far include: stamina, sanity, thirst, and now warmth.

I think that out of those options I like warmth most of all. It would add much having to remember which season it is and what kind of weather is going on. Also the option to create clothing to fight the cold could be interesting, it would force you to choose between physical protection or protection against the cold. Also I have to add just how much rain and thunder in the game would rock, visually and option wise.

Wait... is the game still in development? Also... I watched the latest DEV video and it appears you play as a Jedi. I'm not joking. Watching your character move the logs around in the air... by extending his open hand towards them. That's the Force alright.