Jump to content

Minimum amount of liquid required for liquid tepidizer


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MinhPham said:

I think it required at least a 500kg tile in order to work, and there is a better way to melt ice : build ice tempshift plate. With enough heat around it will melt instantly.

It's not about the ice, half of the base is -40c right now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are so many better things you can use than a tepidizer.  Like passing hot water through pipes for heat exchange or an aquatuner.  Feels like a trap item most of the time like desalinators.

Everything is a resource.  Including heat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A desalinator costs electricity and will fill up with salt needing a dupe to spend a rather long time emptying it.

A steam generator will take your salt water that turned in to steam and give you water and power.

You can put off using any salt water till you make an atmo suit or two and get some lead and oil from an oil biome to make a steam generator.  That will unlock a lot.  Like using the exhaust heat from a metal refinery to turn that salt water in to steam.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2020 at 12:06 AM, 0xFADE said:

Feels like a trap item most of the time like desalinators.

 

On 4/18/2020 at 3:26 AM, 0xFADE said:

A desalinator costs electricity and will fill up with salt needing a dupe to spend a rather long time emptying it.

A steam generator will take your salt water that turned in to steam and give you water and power.

There are several ways to do just about everything in ONI.  There is often a trade-off between ease-of-use and complexity that can determine if the player will use a building, or not.  For example, an oil refinery turns oil into petrol (and a little NG) for dupe labor and some power.  Its quick and easy and gets the job done -- but it isn't very efficient.  You can build an oil to petrol boiler that is a much more efficient way to produce petrol -- but you have to figure out how to work with temperatures in the 400c range, making it somewhat complex.  

The desalinator is another such building.  Its quick, its easy, and it gets the job done -- but, yes, it does sometimes need a dupe to come over and empty the salt.

So, my opinion is that these aren't trap items -- they're a compromise between the ease of accomplishing a task and the efficiency of doing it.  You, as a player, need to decide which is more important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2020 at 8:06 AM, 0xFADE said:

There are so many better things you can use than a tepidizer.  Like passing hot water through pipes for heat exchange or an aquatuner.  Feels like a trap item most of the time like desalinators.

Everything is a resource.  Including heat.

The purpose of a tepidizer is to heat liquid. If you have hot water already you don't need it of course.

An aquatuner does not produce heat, just moves it. It needs something to cool down. Also it's much more power hungry than a tepidizer.

I see no trap here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...