Just talking about anything interesting about the game

10 minutes ago, Lukwen said:

And why do I keep getting popped eardrums. 

It isn't easy for me to tell from your screenshot, but popped eardrums is because of a high gas pressure change for your dupe.  I think 2200g or 2500g or something like that.  You have lots of mixed-gas rooms, so its possible that some form of gas interaction has allowed the pressure in a location to climb extraordinarily high.

Here's a screenshot of my current base. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.de9bf69ddc6f68b4d2f95d5c698030b3.png

I'm only on cycle 82 with only 6 dupes, but as soon as I get some of my infrastructure redesigned, I'll be able to grow quickly.

I think I've got large boulders or something.  My initial biome was really small and all around me is granite and obsidian.

17 minutes ago, Lukwen said:

Anyone want to put in a screenshot of their base or anything cool like that. I'll show you my first relatively sucesfull base, any feedback?

First thing I noticed is you have a lot more lights than usual.  It doesn't do much for you except for growing bristle blossoms and operating certain machines.  It's nice for decor but a few potplants or artworks instead wouldn't use power.

Your mealwood farm is pretty huge.  If you're just using it for feeding dupes liceloaf you could scale back quite a bit to save on labour with supplying dirt and harvesting.  4 mealwood per dupe is enough, plus a bit extra for when they don't harvest in time, etc.

Try adding a firepole beside your main staircase.  It really speeds up movement.

22 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I think I've got large boulders or something.  My initial biome was really small and all around me is granite and obsidian.

Hover the mouse over the asteroid (top left where it says Cycles and it will show you the map features.

:D I think it's new.  A lot of tool tips were added at some point, like the tooltips that pop up on tool tips...ONI-tooltipception.thumb.png.e0f4b27974927596bc8e98ab7a3b7ee8.png

In this picture, I first hovered over Ferterlizer Synthisizer, then on the 'Natural Gas' text.  So now it tells us in game about the special output temperatures of various machines!

Edit: Or has that always been there and I only just noticed?

8 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

It isn't easy for me to tell from your screenshot, but popped eardrums is because of a high gas pressure change for your dupe.  I think 2200g or 2500g or something like that.  You have lots of mixed-gas rooms, so its possible that some form of gas interaction has allowed the pressure in a location to climb extraordinarily high.

Here's a screenshot of my current base. 

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.de9bf69ddc6f68b4d2f95d5c698030b3.png

I'm only on cycle 82 with only 6 dupes, but as soon as I get some of my infrastructure redesigned, I'll be able to grow quickly.

Some cool stuff going on there!

I've never even thought of infinite gas storage so early in the game (well, it makes sense, the earlier you start collecting, the more you collect).

But... showers? Do you really need showers to fix morale issues this early in the game? I'm not criticizing, just curious. You seem to know what you're doing really well, and that strikes me as a huge waste of dup labor at this stage of the game. I've tries showers once, dups spend a lot of time in there, more than 1 hour (1/24 of a cycle, one slot in the schedule) IIRC.

3 hours ago, TheMule said:

But... showers? Do you really need showers to fix morale issues this early in the game? I'm not criticizing, just curious. You seem to know what you're doing really well, and that strikes me as a huge waste of dup labor at this stage of the game. I've tries showers once, dups spend a lot of time in there, more than 1 hour (1/24 of a cycle, one slot in the schedule) IIRC.

I don't really need them, but they only use them during downtime or bath time, so its not really any big deal at this stage. The morale isn't as important to me at this point as getting rid of 'grimy' and 'wet feet' flags.

In another few cycles I'll have a salt water geyser tamed (very top, across the ladder from the hydrogen vent) and I can switch from Mealwood to Bristlebloom.  I'll get a dining hall (or great hall) built and combine all that morale with showers and I should start having dupes pop their specials like sticker bombing or balloons.

4 hours ago, TheMule said:

I've never even thought of infinite gas storage so early in the game (well, it makes sense, the earlier you start collecting, the more you collect).

I've only had those up for about 10 cycles now.  The moment I found and tamed the nat gas geyser it became crucial.  I built three at once, since it was simpler that way.  Previously I was burning hydrogen and coal, but those have been removed while I reconstruct my generator plant.  I'm going to set it up so that hydrogen becomes on-demand for high-load, and coal becomes my failsafe backup.  The slowest part right now is that I have only ONE dupe that can dig through obsidian.  Ugh. 

Ok Thanks!

I keep getting this really frustrating thing, I have exosuits and Im trying to get to oil right, my dupes go down and dig and place 1 lader and then go up, they have oxygen and they wear them properly but anyone know what is goinig on?

1 hour ago, Lukwen said:

Ok Thanks!

I keep getting this really frustrating thing, I have exosuits and Im trying to get to oil right, my dupes go down and dig and place 1 lader and then go up, they have oxygen and they wear them properly but anyone know what is goinig on?

That's just a quirk of digging ladders straight up and down. Dig a zig zag pattern (hand drawn picture below, dig out the squares) and fill in the ladder later. 

Spoiler

20200326_130654.thumb.jpg.ff2fc3050cc2076709a7cc8ec92c4bef.jpg

1 hour ago, Lukwen said:

Ok Thanks!

This isnt an issue for me as i build a ladder and a firepole at once. 

First thing that strikes me is the amount of oxygen diffusers. For 7 dupes 2 would be more than enough. But air needs to be able to flow through the base. It won`t flow thorugh solid tiles. You should build 3-4 airflow tiles in every room so the gas flows naturally, CO2 will fall to the bottom on it`s own and a single skimmer will handle it. It will likely fix the popped eardrums issue as well.

Another thing are the lights. While it`s not wrong to put them everywhere the power usage and heat production adds up. You should put motion sensors that activate the lights if dupes are around. No need for complex automation, just connect all sensors in the room with all the light bulbs and it will work.

8 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

The morale isn't as important to me at this point as getting rid of 'grimy' and 'wet feet' flags.

I think 'grimy' doesn't have any effect at all.

As for soggy feet (+10% stress), it lasts only for 0.2 cycles (4.8hours). Exceeding morale expectations is -10% for the whole cycle IIRC as a minimum. Also the dup has to take the shower at the right time for it to remove the debuff. +3 morale is way more impactfull unless the dup is already well above expectations to begin with (which you seem to imply it's your case), at which point soggy feet won't make much of a difference.

Archived