I hate the Tackle Receptacle so much guys

I know this is old news, but having come back to the game recently, I can't get over how annoying this structure is. 

The first issue I have with it, is that the process of building it is so frustrating and isn't designed for multiplayer. To build it, you need a spoiled fish. So you need to spend days just waiting for your fish meat to rot. If you want to make this process faster, you can leave it on the floor...Which is not fun if you're playing with other people. If players pass by a piece of fish meat, they will pick it up and eat it. This means I have to baby sit my piece of meat. 

The second issue, and I've said this before, the size of the structure is so impractical for boat bases. I know this is niche, but I'm a player that likes to build boat bases and obviously, you don't want to waste space on your boat for a Tackle Receptacle when there are more important structures to have. Right now, the best method is to build the Tackle Receptacle on land and then keep revisiting it until you learn all the recipes. THIS IS SO ANNOYING. I want to be able to just live on my boat and not have to keep coming back for this.

The best solution, is for this to not be a structure. This should be a book, like Maxwell's, that when you open it, you have access to the items. That way, you can carry it around on your boat and learn the recipes as you travel. 

I would be nice if you could make a tackle box that can go in your inventory, it slows bait spoilage and only holds tackles and bait, it would be place able like a chest and openable in your inventory.

It's possible to build a lot of stuff in a boat. See image, you can still put  a lot more masts, chests and icebox in there. And no, I'm not activating windows 10 for the second time again.

As for the rotting fish, leave it in your boat if you don't want people taking it.

Untitled.thumb.png.b32954010a57e38207b92407f4d09735.png

I haven't even figured out how to get a fish meat without upgraded tackles and baits Lmao. This structure was out of my reach for an entire 500 day world.

7 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

It's possible to build a lot of stuff in a boat. See image, you can still put  a lot more masts, chests and icebox in there. And no, I'm not activating windows 10 for the second time again.

Untitled.thumb.png.b32954010a57e38207b92407f4d09735.png

putting stuff on the edge will just make them detach into the sea once you get malbatross masts.

So I’m sure some of you have heard my boat story so this is for those of you who have not- 

When I first started a game called Ark Survival Evolved me and my family built a boat and lived out at sea, we would travel to land to gather stuff we need and then retreat back to sea..

Boats had a limited amount of structures you could place on them so we built as much parts to our castle at sea as we could per boat and we then put them together like a massive Jigsaw Puzzle.

Other players were unable to Kite our stuff because we lived Out at SEA on the edge of the map (this story dates back to Before all the ocean stuff was added)

ANYWAY the Developers Of Ark Survival Evolved saw this and then they immediately created a new Dinosaur, a MASSIVE Moby D Sized Whale... and his only purpose is to target boats and destroy them.

Thats it.. that’s all he does, he Kills Boats, Bye bye Beautiful at Sea Jigsaw puzzle home!

What does this have to do with DST? Well as I am sure you are all pretty much aware the Sea is still very much unfinished content in DST. So I wouldn’t get too comfortable with my boat raft bridges that extend from the main land all the way out to Lunar Island if I was any of you.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So I’m sure some of you have heard my boat story so this is for those of you who have not- 

When I first started a game called Ark Survival Evolved me and my family built a boat and lived out at sea, we would travel to land to gather stuff we need and then retreat back to sea..

Boats had a limited amount of structures you could place on them so we built as much parts to our castle at sea as we could per boat and we then put them together like a massive Jigsaw Puzzle.

Other players were unable to Kite our stuff because we lived Out at SEA on the edge of the map (this story dates back to Before all the ocean stuff was added)

ANYWAY the Developers Of Ark Survival Evolved saw this and then they immediately created a new Dinosaur, a MASSIVE Moby D Sized Whale... and his only purpose is to target boats and destroy them.

Thats it.. that’s all he does, he Kills Boats, Bye bye Beautiful at Sea Jigsaw puzzle home!

What does this have to do with DST? Well as I am sure you are all pretty much aware the Sea is still very much unfinished content in DST. So I wouldn’t get too comfortable with my boat raft bridges that extend from the main land all the way out to Lunar Island if I was any of you.

So uhhhh... what does this have to do with the current topic? Absolutely nobody was talking about raft bridges.

3 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

So uhhhh... what does this have to do with the current topic? Absolutely nobody was talking about raft bridges.

It’s got less to do with the topic, and more to do with the previous posts in said topic.

The Op states they don’t want the Tackle structure taking up their boat space because they want to build other stuff on their boat base.

my entire Ark boat story is showing an example as to why using the Boat Cookie as a “boat base” could quickly become a bad idea.

Thats all man, nothing more.. nothing less. Sorry for the confusions!

55 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s got less to do with the topic, and more to do with the previous posts in said topic.

The Op states they don’t want the Tackle structure taking up their boat space because they want to build other stuff on their boat base.

my entire Ark boat story is showing an example as to why using the Boat Cookie as a “boat base” could quickly become a bad idea.

Thats all man, nothing more.. nothing less. Sorry for the confusions!

He was literally talking about not wanting to waste space on his boat.

A boat used to move around, not a still bridge.

17 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I never understood why it wasn't just part of the seafaring tab to begin 

Currently you start building by making a science machine, then you upgrade and create an alchemy machine. Once you have an alchemy machine, you can hammer any science machine and chances are that you will not build one again. The same goes for the Magic stations, once you build the upgraded version, the original machine is not needed anymore.

I believe the tackle receptacle, given how much of a design it has n all, should be the "upgrade and replacement" of the first naval machine, to include all the fishing items AND the naval items. As a matter of fsct given what the game teaches you, its how I instinctively thought it would be, I found weird that it wasn't the case.

Also I agree with OP, just making the collision area of the structure smaller and scaling the whole thing even 10% smaller so it doesnt look as wonky, would probably do the trick.

You guys are setting yourselves up to have your Boat Cookies completely wrecked.. lol

I mean there’s already a “Cookie Cutter” Enemy type that jumps out the water attempting to carve holes in your boat.

its only a matter of time before we get a Cookie Monster Mob, Who’s Only Purpose is to want to eat your delicious looking cookie shaped boat.

They already poked fun of it with “Cookie Cutters” plus in a game called Don’t Starve I think it would be Absolutely hilarious to have something chase after attempting to eat a boat that looks like a gigantic Cookie.

I never build the Seafaring stuff on my boats anyway- They’re Just WAY too noisy to stand anywhere near... just craft what you need out of them, & learn that knowledge to go!

A lot of newer DS players don’t realize that you don’t actually NEED to be standing at a science machine anytime you want to craft some more advanced structures. Once you learn how to craft all a science machines craftables- you no longer even need to waste resources building the structure because you know all that knowledge. Same thing with a Alchemy Engine or the Seafaring tabs. The only thing you’ll want a science or Alchemy Engine For is to stand beside and open Curio gifts when you get them.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

You guys are setting yourselves up to have your Boat Cookies completely wrecked.. lol

I mean there’s already a “Cookie Cutter” Enemy type that jumps out the water attempting to carve holes in your boat.

its only a matter of time before we get a Cookie Monster Mob, Who’s Only Purpose is to want to eat your delicious looking cookie shaped boat.

They already poked fun of it with “Cookie Cutters” plus in a game called Don’t Starve I think it would be Absolutely hilarious to have something chase after attempting to eat a boat that looks like a gigantic Cookie.

I never build the Seafaring stuff on my boats anyway- They’re Just WAY too noisy to stand anywhere near... just craft what you need out of them, & learn that knowledge to go!

A lot of newer DS players don’t realize that you don’t actually NEED to be standing at a science machine anytime you want to craft some more advanced structures. Once you learn how to craft all a science machines craftables- you no longer even need to waste resources building the structure because you know all that knowledge. Same thing with a Alchemy Engine or the Seafaring tabs. The only thing you’ll want a science or Alchemy Engine For is to stand beside and open Curio gifts when you get them.

My boats already get wrecked whenever a server resets, so... Let the cookie cutters come at me. And having a machine is nice for when a season changes and to build stuff you haven't already. If I could carry everything to build a boat, shrooms for lures, silk for rod, the basic resources for survival, charcoal for crockpot, food, a few stacks of boards so you don't need to leave your boat just to make fire for the night, ice flingomatic materials (if it's spring) and some other good to have items in one sitting at an Alchemy engine I wouldn't build the engine on a boat, but you can only carry so much and I'm not walking half the world to someone's base and leave the boat unattended to any griefer neither I'll build a new engine on land whenever I need to craft something new.

And no one in their right might should use a luxury boat to go to a cookie cutter infested area or to fight a malbatross.

You can also put the steering wheel far from both machines, between fireplace, crockpot, lightning rod, ice f. Just arrange the machines to be near each other and leave a gap between the other silent buildings.

But can’t you just pre-build all that stuff and have it in your crafting tab Menu’s to place down later..? At least you can on Xbox One- I’m not sure how that works for PC.

I know in order to more easily survive the Adventure mode chapters I always pre-built structures I would need in the next chapter but didn’t actually place them down until I made it to the next Chapter.

My point is that if you don’t want to carry all those materials around all the time, just pre-build the structures and don’t actually place them until you need them.

With the next Return of Them Update being titled She Sells Seashells it would be safe to assume that there’s more Boat themed content coming in that update.

1 hour ago, Queron81 said:

We need something like a rot box as an opposite to the ice box, so you can get things spoiled faster.

It would be really cool to have a compost box or something like that to make some new fertilizer. You could even put unwanted spoil in it to get a better fetiliser ( 5 rot -> 1 new fertilizer, idk) It could be really cool for farms and stuff.

For the time being though, you can use toadstool spore bomb and leave any items you want spoil in the matter of second. 

Edit to stay on topic: thats usually what i do to aquire my first rotten big fish. I go in the cave where my toadstool is, catch an eel or two and make them spoil mega fast by toadstool. Easy peasy.

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But can’t you just pre-build all that stuff and have it in your crafting tab Menu’s to place down later..? At least you can on Xbox One- I’m not sure how that works for PC.

I know in order to more easily survive the Adventure mode chapters I always pre-built structures I would need in the next chapter but didn’t actually place them down until I made it to the next Chapter.

My point is that if you don’t want to carry all those materials around all the time, just pre-build the structures and don’t actually place them until you need them.

With the next Return of Them Update being titled She Sells Seashells it would be safe to assume that there’s more Boat themed content coming in that update.

Here is my usual playthrough when I'm going to be fishing 24/7. Get basic resources (14 item slots for a single stack of grass, twigs, wood, stone, flint, gold, pig skins, 14 silk, 3 gears, 15 ice, rotting fish, 3 stacks of boards), since food varies depending on where you are I'll consider only berries, carrots and seeds, considering you can use either berry or seed to catch your first big fish for rotting fish, red, green, blue shrooms for lures.

a- I will build the science machine and precraft the engine, think tank, backpack, fireplace, crockpot, lightning rod. Then build the boat, put the alchemy there and build the rest as I get the resources.

b- If I were to build the a. engine on land I would have to precraft the ice flingomatic (do I have access to 15 ice or 2 gears without hurting the main base? do I even know if I'm going to play during summer), pre craft the icebox, chest and preferably the Tackle R. so I don't leave my boat. The tackle you can't build without making the boat, fishing, going back, making it, making the lures and bobbers, going back to boat and if you lose the lures you'll have to get to the tackle again. And we have things you can't precraft, like rod, weapon, umbrella, almost the entire boat kit, thermal stone. At how many slots are we at? Sure, you could craft those once, leave behind and craft it again after going on a boat but I'm not wasting time gathering and crafting the same item twice just because I put the alchemy engine on land for who knows what reason.

Oh, remember the 14 item slots, actually I'll take a stack and a half for some of these, taking 2 inventory slots just so I don't run low on some key resources like grass and flint after precrafting everything. Why so many flints, you ask, mostly because of lures and ice when winter comes to supplement the fish since you can risk starvation living from fish and kelp alone unless you're a god tier fisherman and there are no wail taking your fish.

Meanwhile at the a- situation, I don't need to precraft things that I may not even need, I can craft something I haven't already like a thermal, or an umbrella, a birdcage, a Tackle R., a hambat, a helmet, drying rack and even leave some of the essential boat buildings that I usually build with a science machine like a crockpot or lightning rod to craft later with the engine on a boat in cases when you're low on stones or gold when you first built the science machine. And I can craft those whenever I want it and wherever I go with my boat.

Also, mobile gifts.

You only lose space by crafting an alchemy engine, what else would you craft in that empty space. You could build a bunny hut in there to have a guaranteed daily supplement of meat and veggies but I'm not going to bother with it considering they'll atack you while you're fishing the moment it turns into evening, say good bye to a lure. Pigs could eat your fish if they happen to be near it when you fish. A farm is still a farm. Even a drying rack isn't quite useful, I just put it in there because I could put more buildings.

Archived