don't expect the world from wendy's animated short

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

The use of the word "promise" in these discussions always bothers me a lot. Klei posted a roadmap with their plans, those plans changed (we aren't getting a rework every month either,) and those plans keep changing. Klei didn't give some sort of "promise" that every character would get deep lore, they just stated what their current plans were back in January of 2019.

This makes literally zero since, I pay to go see WWE at a live event the card on that Live event is always subject to change.

Klei can choose to at their own discretion to completely cancel the Roadmap altogether and say that’s it we aren’t doing anymore content for the Don’t Starve Franchise..

Just like my WWE live event reads “card is subject to change.”

Maybe “Promise” is the wrong word to use.... but you get the idea I’m sure. They gave everyone a rough draft & thats what they hyped their fans up expecting.

So I can’t say I disagree with all the players who were disappointed in Lack of Woodie lore, but I can say I love Woodie’s Refresh and use him a lot more often now that he can Chop Wood, Mine Rocks, Farm Spiders & Scout the entire map Quickly.

I can only hope that Wendy’s Rework will make her even more fun to play when it arrives tomorrow!! The update is soooo close hype over load incoming!

I am currently regretting not heeding this warning and expecting more than I should have. imo the rework short ultimately provided little lore and little further character exposition compared to the rework's accompanying picture.

To be honest, while the short was indeed heartfelt and the appearance of Jack Carter and Abigail (in the flesh) in the video were welcome, they merely confirmed the existence of things we speculated upon for years already without giving us answers on more pressing questions, especially on the means that Wendy used or was subject to to arrive in the Constant, how she managed to first commune with and interact with the specter of Abigail, et cetera. Also, it didn't reveal any further bit of character development to Wendy save for that which is already known or speculated.

6 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I am currently regretting not heeding this warning and expecting more than I should have. imo the rework short ultimately provided little lore and little further character exposition compared to the rework's accompanying picture.

To be honest, while the short was indeed heartfelt and the appearance of Jack Carter and Abigail (in the flesh) in the video were welcome, they merely confirmed the existence of things we speculated upon for years already without giving us answers on more pressing questions, especially on the means that Wendy used or was subject to to arrive in the Constant, how she managed to first commune with and interact with the specter of Abigail, et cetera. Also, it didn't reveal any further bit of character development to Wendy save for that which is already known.

i think there is a fine line between showing too much and too little and i think they struck the balance rather well here. 

3 minutes ago, sudoku said:

i think there is a fine line between showing too much and too little and i think they struck the balance rather well here. 

I haven't considered this point of view in my haste to find more details about the duo. Maybe it's also because I've already become so jaded regarding Wendy and her depressiveness? 

Anyways, I still preferred and expected something in the manner of Taste of Home - something that provides a new depth and breadth to the character and an important piece of lore all at once.

5 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I haven't considered this point of view in my haste to find more details about the duo. Maybe it's also because I've already become so jaded regarding Wendy and her depressiveness? 

Anyways, I still preferred and expected something in the manner of Taste of Home - something that provides a new depth and breadth to the character and an important piece of lore all at once.

I dunno i was generally surprised they went for the o'l "oh you just think were gonna show abigail dying" and then pulled the rug out and she was fine. But granted i didnt have many expectations for the short. I do think that when you break it all down there is a lot to dissect.

1.Wendy and Abigail were rather well off

2.Wendy was the more shy, prim and proper sister who preferred to read while Abigail was more of a rebellious tomboy jokester(both sides of the same coin) I think this shows that Wendy clearly became depressed when her sister died and wasnt always like that. It was her sister who pushed her to try new things and try to break away from the rules

3. This kind of extends to Maxwell and Jack who we finally see in this short. (Jack being the more proper brother while Max is the more rebellious adventurous type)

4. Then we have the picture which I know doesnt count as being part of the short but clearly shows Abigail wanted to find a way to speak with Abigail again and found out about seances through a book (she loves reading as shown in the short) and visited that shady seance guy on the flyer with the sceance ultimately leading her to being pulled into the constant along with Abigail.

Plus I LOVED the music. The tone was so well done.  I've been rather impartial so far to all of these shorts but this one was definitely my favorite and Wendy is probably one of my least played characters.  

Archived