[Game Update] - 399090

• Developer

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that we really appreciate the bug reports and feedback you leave for us. Though the game has been officially released, we have been and will continue to put out patches with fixes and quality-of-life improvements. There are some fixes to new content we didn't get into this patch for stability reasons, but we're continuing to improve the game and will get those fixes into a later update! For the whole story be sure to read the roadmap

• Solid Conveyor Filter no longer gets "stuck" if an ore sublimates and sends an empty box to the filter
  • Fix the Conveyor Element Sensor and Conveyor Shutoff being "one tick behind".
  • Fix to Sweepy's sleep sounds
  • AND gate audio added
  • Some automation sound volumes adjusted
  • Fix crash in Element sensors when an object is destroyed while in the conduit
  • Update Chinese strings
  • Logic Gate animations are now Played, not Queued, since they are all much quicker. Prevents the animations from playing continuously even after a signal has stabilized.

View full update

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Logic Gate animations are now Played, not Queued, since they are all much quicker. Prevents the animations from playing continuously even after a signal has stabilized.

Interesting. Can anybody comment on this a bit further? I am familiar with the concepts, but what does it mean in the context of the ONI scheduling system?

Edited by Gurgel
  • Like 1

• Developer
9 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Interesting. Can anybody comment on this a bit further? I am familiar with the concepts, but what does it mean in the context of the ONI scheduling system?

Hey @Gurgel!

That one's a pretty light change, purely animation-related. When we added the Signal Distributor/Signal Selector, the animation transitions were quite long (>10f). In order to prevent animation popping, I set those transitions up to Queue (which waits for the last anim to complete) rather than to Play (which stomps any existing anim). 

While this looked great, because of how long the animations were it meant that the visual state of the building could fall out of sync with the actual state of the logic network. The logic network can change much faster than those 10 animation frames take, so for a quickly-changing network it would queue up a list of animations which could be way behind the actual network's state.

This issue also popped up with our visual rework of the gates themselves, brought to our attention by people posting NOT Gate visual issues.

We of course wanted the visual state of the buildings to still sync up with the state of the network, so we shortened up all of the animation states (4f, if I remember correctly?) and allowed new animations to interrupt any existing animations. Since the transitions are much shorter, the animation popping is less noticeable and we are left with a more responsive set of buildings!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Logic Gate animations are now Played, not Queued, since they are all much quicker. Prevents the animations from playing continuously even after a signal has stabilized.

It is very good that the animation stops right away.
Previously, unstoppable animations made my mind a bit nervous.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

My documents folder has always been redirected without any problems.  Maybe this is an issue that only affects those using Windows operating systems?

Antivirus Programs also like to Block ony. I tested so far Kaspersky and AVG and both prevent ONI from accessing the Appdata Folder. (AVG even without telling the user <.<*)

16 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

My documents folder has always been redirected without any problems.  Maybe this is an issue that only affects those using Windows operating systems?

yeah, maybe - but without any feedback its hard to determine..

and since some strange folders get created on my game-partition, pointing to my smb-server, it seems like kind of a programming-error :-/

anyway, thanks for your feedback