So with the new update we have 4bit cables and pixel packs. 

This aint something special really, but it's a fun little thing, no real value other then being able to see the power consumption at a glance :)

It goes from 0-45kw (cause there wasn't enough space for the 10'th pixel pack)

Each pixel represents 1.25kw of power with each panel representing 5kw in total.

20200225223218_1.thumb.jpg.6bfdfb160ed86f4a7bd138383ebb5b1e.jpg20200225223341_1.thumb.jpg.4ce583fa333696fdb543117458358e6f.jpg

Automation overlay for those of you who dig those.

20200225223435_1.thumb.jpg.9e09174b983662d8c43da75d471cb6d7.jpg

Hope you guys like it :D

19 minutes ago, psusi said:

Do you normally keep dozens of batteries around for extra storage instead of just throttling generators?

I don't know why you seem so much against it. 

It's in the first place just something for fun, and some ppl, my self included, like to build stuff just for the fun of it, without any real practical value. 

It's the point of this game, no ? to have fun ? 

9 minutes ago, FutureJohny said:

How can you throttle solar farm or volcano tamer?

You got excess water? Turn solar power into hydrogen (and throw away the oxygen). It's a positive power "battery".

Volcano tamers that turn magma into about 1400C hot debris can be easily throttled.

3 hours ago, FutureJohny said:

How can you throttle solar farm or volcano tamer? I play on map with Volcanoes trait, batteries are must for me. 

Volcano tamer is easy: just stop the turbine.  Solar you just use to power everything while your other generators take a rest and save up fuel.  You can also run ethanol distillers during that time to turn extra power into more ethanol to generate power at night.

I used the transformer flipper style power grid in the world I just finished so each 2kw circuit had a pair of batteries feeding it from the main regular wire backbone, but the main two power banks controlling the generators only had 3 smart batteries each: one to drive the flipper, and two to control generators.  I had 4 hydrogen generators inside two mini coolrod spoms that only kicked in when demand spiked and/or solar was shut down and the ethanol generator + turbines couldn't keep up.  When solar was going strong even the ethanol generator would shut down and that would also switch on the ethanol distillers to soak up the extra solar power.

2 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

I guess the watt reader could be re purposed into a charge reader for solar farms. Could also be neat :D

Except not, because like I said before, it measures load, not charge.  If you store a bunch of solar power in smart batteries rather than throttle back all other generators and consume it instead, then you can connect the smart batteries up to the pixel pack for a display, but that doesn't involve the watt reader.

Just now, psusi said:

Except not, because like I said before, it measures load, not charge.  If you store a bunch of solar power in smart batteries rather than throttle back all other generators and consume it instead, then you can connect the smart batteries up to the pixel pack for a display, but that doesn't involve the watt reader.

the watt reader is what you see in the picture, i wasn't talking about the wattage sensor. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

21 hours ago, psusi said:

Do you normally keep dozens of batteries around for extra storage instead of just throttling generators?

I use dozens of jumbo batteries fo solar panel setups. I can use smart ones instead and make a giant display showing stored charge in a more readable way than just looking at the batteries.

I was also thinking of using similar displays to show temperature and pressure in steam rooms using multiple sensors. I even thought of using different colors to indicate if the temperature and amount of steam is enough to run a turbine (red squares if it`s below and green if above).

When i said i`m staling the idea i meant using the pixel packs as a large display instead of needing to manually check resources. It actually opened my eyes to the possibilites of the new system.

24 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

When i said i`m staling the idea i meant using the pixel packs as a large display instead of needing to manually check resources. It actually opened my eyes to the possibilites of the new system.

Yeah i initially wanted to use it to show how much magma i had in my infinite magma container, but liquid sensors only go up to 2t, so that idea got scrapped :D

20 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I use dozens of jumbo batteries fo solar panel setups. I can use smart ones instead and make a giant display showing stored charge in a more readable way than just looking at the batteries.

Are you trying to generate more than 50% of your total power from solar?

18 minutes ago, psusi said:

Are you trying to generate more than 50% of your total power from solar?

Why not?  You can fit a ****-ton of solar panels on the map. You can also use steel batteries in steam to keep them self cooled while reducing the energy lost to heat with a steam turbine or 2.

After 2000-3000 cycles my power generation typically becomes only steam turbines and solar panels, with occasional petro/gas use when I am doing a project that uses a lot of power.

6 hours ago, Hellshound38 said:

Why not?  You can fit a ****-ton of solar panels on the map. You can also use steel batteries in steam to keep them self cooled while reducing the energy lost to heat with a steam turbine or 2.

After 2000-3000 cycles my power generation typically becomes only steam turbines and solar panels, with occasional petro/gas use when I am doing a project that uses a lot of power.

Wow.. in my last world I just built half a dozen solars to save hydrogen for rockets.  Still got half my power from a petrol gen burning ethanol from wild arbor trees and a little bit from a coal gen I had run for a bit during the night when solar was down.

Archived