What's The Hardest Season?

Hardest Season  

153 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, what is the hardest season for you?

• Autumn
    • Winter
    • Spring
    • Summer
    • No season for me is hard, because I'm a god at the game (This is a joke)

Autumn is the easiest season because it has no additional threats aside from fire hounds, which require little preparation to deal with.

Winter is the second most easy season because all you have to do is craft a thermal stone and a torch. Just burn the lone trees in the world to regain heat. However, I would say winter is the most busy season because there are many season specific things most experienced players liked to get checked off their list. Mactusk, Deerclops, Klaus, and Ice are quite a lot to take care of during this season. Also full moons during this season tend to be long enough to convert multiple star caller's staffs becoming another item on the list lategame.

Spring is the third hardest season but it is easier dealt with than winter. All you practically need is an umbrella, since most players are going to have access to a football helm by now and have it on backup incase they get in a fight. Frog rain is very similar to a hound wave for me, however the world conveniently gives you multiple frog killers to deal with the hoards of amphibians. This also leads to the most morsal sized meat being produced in a small window of time. (Personally I also like going moose during this event and just charging back and forth for a little while)

Summer is the hardest season, but only for being the most tedious, BUT only if you don't use the caves ability to nullify the season (then it's practically as easy as autumn). I think the problem with summer is it is very limiting on the player. You better go underground or your hard worked for mega-base will go up in smoke because no one can afford to upkeep 100s of flingos. However, it is much more manageable with a small base with 1-5 flingos. And to top it all of you get firehounds too. Personally, I think the main problem with summer is there are only three effective ways to combat smoldering you either unload what you don't want burned, base in the oasis, or flingomatic+lureplant everything you want to stay in a non-char form. I think it might be a neat idea to add more options to the mix so that every time we want to base on the surface somewhere that isn't the oasis our only option is to leave or flingo everything. Maybe you could use scales to make a special reinforcement that makes certain objects immune to fire such as crockpots and alchemy engines?

I vote autumn.  Here is why:

In first you autumn are free to do whatever you want.  Its perfectly safe, and anything you can rush in first autumn is basically free.  Winter brings harsh colds which require you to keep a thermal stone, or some warm clothes and a fire nearby.  Not a big deal, we can still hunt and there are new monsters to farm such as walrus, penguls, and deerclopse.  Spring can be challenge if you don't like building wetness protection, but once you give in and craft an umbrella you're good for the most part.  If you weren't paying attention before, you might realize you based next to 3 moosegoose but whatever, live and learn.  The first few days can be tough because you have to deal with wetness and cold, but after that its pretty chill.  Summer comes with its problems for sure.  Dealing with heat is exactly like dealing with cold, but that isn't the real problem - the real problem is wildfires and fire hounds.  Not a problem though - retreat into the caves, you've got to do it some time, why not during summer?  So you retreat into the caves and suddenly you don't have heat, wildfires, or hounds to deal with - gg right?

Then comes second autumn.  You're lulled into a sense of safety from the first autumn.  No wildfires, no overheating - maybe now you should venture outside during the perfect weather to do all those things on your checklist you have waited through these awful season to do!

But then the fire nation attacked!

In bigger numbers because you're getting up there in days.  Maybe you've built a tooth trap field, maybe you based near beefalo - but either way you're going to have to count down the days till the next hound wave before you do anything from here out.  I really really hate having to sit at base for 2-3 days just eating and waiting...  the game has never been so boring...

3 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I vote autumn.  Here is why:

In first you autumn are free to do whatever you want.  Its perfectly safe, and anything you can rush in first autumn is basically free.  Winter brings harsh colds which require you to keep a thermal stone, or some warm clothes and a fire nearby.  Not a big deal, we can still hunt and there are new monsters to farm such as walrus, penguls, and deerclopse.  Spring can be challenge if you don't like building wetness protection, but once you give in and craft an umbrella you're good for the most part.  If you weren't paying attention before, you might realize you based next to 3 moosegoose but whatever, live and learn.  The first few days can be tough because you have to deal with wetness and cold, but after that its pretty chill.  Summer comes with its problems for sure.  Dealing with heat is exactly like dealing with cold, but that isn't the real problem - the real problem is wildfires and fire hounds.  Not a problem though - retreat into the caves, you've got to do it some time, why not during summer?  So you retreat into the caves and suddenly you don't have heat, wildfires, or hounds to deal with - gg right?

Then comes second autumn.  You're lulled into a sense of safety from the first autumn.  No wildfires, no overheating - maybe now you should venture outside during the perfect weather to do all those things on your checklist you have waited through these awful season to do!

But then the fire nation attacked!

In bigger numbers because you're getting up there in days.  Maybe you've built a tooth trap field, maybe you based near beefalo - but either way you're going to have to count down the days till the next hound wave before you do anything from here out.  I really really hate having to sit at base for 2-3 days just eating and waiting...  the game has never been so boring...

hounds are not so difficult, unless you dont have a good weapon. Only for some boss fights they are annoying

I mean, if autumn hound waves are a problem in year 2+ of a world but winter and spring ones are somehow not, I think the problem is firefighting after killing them rather than not being able to kill a large number of hounds. I recommend carrying a stack of water balloons; they're better than an ice staff for large fires because they have a literal splash radius instead of only extinguishing one target. 

4 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

I mean, if autumn hound waves are a problem in year 2+ of a world but winter and spring ones are somehow not, I think the problem is firefighting after killing them rather than not being able to kill a large number of hounds. I recommend carrying a stack of water balloons; they're better than an ice staff for large fires because they have a literal splash radius instead of only extinguishing one target. 

It gets up to 7-10 hounds spawning within seconds of each other.  You can't realistically fight this off with any weapon.  You've got to have some prep, and whether that is beefalo or tooth traps, that is basically a set piece you gotta hang out with until the hound wave clears.  Add to that the fire, and doing whatever you're doing its dangerous to venture out without waiting for the hound wave to proc.  At least in summer I'm in the caves chillin, but autumn is the time we're supposed to get a bit of reprieve and its just feeling like waiting on a clock now...  Might as well watch water boil.

3 hours ago, Shosuko said:

It gets up to 7-10 hounds spawning within seconds of each other.  You can't realistically fight this off with any weapon.  You've got to have some prep, and whether that is beefalo or tooth traps, that is basically a set piece you gotta hang out with until the hound wave clears.  Add to that the fire, and doing whatever you're doing its dangerous to venture out without waiting for the hound wave to proc.  At least in summer I'm in the caves chillin, but autumn is the time we're supposed to get a bit of reprieve and its just feeling like waiting on a clock now...  Might as well watch water boil.

I mean, while I agree that the only way to fight off ten hounds by yourself without mobs for backup or traps is to either wear a Thulecite Crown or force them to split up into three or more smaller groups somehow because otherwise you'll get stunlocked to death and it doesn't matter how good your weapon is if you can't swing it... that's still never stopped me from wandering around the map. Lots of mobs are capable of at least distracting a hound wave enough to split their attention and let you finish them off, especially if you haven't hit day 100 yet. Maybe don't go super super far from any potential reinforcements if it's been a while since the last hound wave, but even then! Even then, you can still slap a telelocator focus in the middle of your trap field and use that as a last resort method to jump yourself to a defensible position.

I also don't understand why this makes the second autumn more difficult to deal with than the second winter or second spring.

3 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

I mean, while I agree that the only way to fight off ten hounds by yourself without mobs for backup or traps is to either wear a Thulecite Crown or force them to split up into three or more smaller groups somehow because otherwise you'll get stunlocked to death and it doesn't matter how good your weapon is if you can't swing it... that's still never stopped me from wandering around the map. Lots of mobs are capable of at least distracting a hound wave enough to split their attention and let you finish them off, especially if you haven't hit day 100 yet. Maybe don't go super super far from any potential reinforcements if it's been a while since the last hound wave, but even then! Even then, you can still slap a telelocator focus in the middle of your trap field and use that as a last resort method to jump yourself to a defensible position.

I also don't understand why this makes the second autumn more difficult to deal with than the second winter or second spring.

Because if you break the hounds up into smaller groups the fire is harder to contain if they die without you being there.  Meanwhile the freeze is ezpz.  This means autumn is not a safe season, its "sit and wait for hounds" season.  Or just stay in caves even more (but when I stay in the caves more I end up staying there forever)

Tooth traps are a pretty good way to quickly dispatch large groups of hounds. They require more time overall, but less time during the actual fight. If you have trouble with hounds just bite back, or better yet just walk into any mob that can fight back. Hounds are notorious for swapping their aggro while chasing the player. Treeguards, beefalo, tentacles, whatever will all take care of em, fire or not. You could make the argument that you might not be near mobs when they attack, but you still can outrun them and make it to whatever you want to kill them.

Or if you’re like me, a moose idol, a meaty stew, an open field, and a tent is all you need. And you can mess up your kiting just about as many times as you want.

2 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

My man up there was talking about 10 hounds, that is 6.

its the same strategy. Split and hit when you can.

when your world spawns 10 hounds you got the time of have as many ham bats/ dark swords you wish. Having 1 weapon and running is enough.

Annoying but possible

pd: torches are under rated

edit: also in the video there is no cane, armor, healings, etc. so its easier. And in adition, hounds comes few per few so you can kill them quick before the others comes

22 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

its the same strategy. Split and hit when you can.

when your world spawns 10 hounds you got the time of have as many ham bats/ dark swords you wish. Having 1 weapon and running is enough.

Annoying but possible

pd: torches are under rated

edit: also in the video there is no cane, armor, healings, etc. so its easier. And in adition, hounds comes few per few so you can kill them quick before the others comes

Can't lie, this is all true. 

12 hours ago, thetricker1 said:

cheeky video reply

7-10 hounds spawning around you, possibly in front of you, already aggrod on you, possibly in the middle of you doing something else, or in the middle of the night...

But sure, go ahead and tell me about your "spawned 6 hounds in front of me while I was expecting it during permanent daytime" retort

Putting aside any and all skill players have, Summer is the hardest. It has so many more negative aspects to it than the other seasons (Temperature, spoilage, wildfires, antlion, etc).

At least the OST for the season is the best in the game.

12 hours ago, Shosuko said:

7-10 hounds spawning around you, possibly in front of you, already aggrod on you, possibly in the middle of you doing something else, or in the middle of the night...

But sure, go ahead and tell me about your "spawned 6 hounds in front of me while I was expecting it during permanent daytime" retort

My guy, hounds are the easiest thing to deal with. Even it is night, you can outrun them if you have a torch. Hounds agro to EVERY MOB in DST so, as long as you can find something to agro them on you'll be fine.

By the time 6-10 hounds appear solo you should be well prepared.

13 hours ago, Shosuko said:

better cry because cant kill 150/100 hp monster. Did you know that they advice you that they are coming?

the video was an example of how to fight them, just for helping but you want to be right. Hounds op, nerf pls

Archived