Free range surf n' turf

With wild pacu and wild vole farming you can have a painless source of delicious surf n' turf for all your dupes. You need to seed the farm with 3.33 voles and 4.16 pacu per dupe but after that it should require almost no further attention (wild voles have a 98% chance to lay an egg before death). The biggest issue with dealing with voles is their ability to burrow through almost anything. Here I present my set-up... with 800kg of water the vole will not drown but the pacu still have enough to live. Meat and fillets are stored in the fridge, while surf n' turf can be hauled to the great hall. The critters live, lay, and ultimately transcend their earthly bonds in this little 1x1 pool... (Please don't call PETA).

20200125195304_1.jpg

20 hours ago, Janellope said:

(wild voles have a 98% chance to lay an egg before death).

Huh?  Egg laying isn't chance based.  They WILL lay an egg before death.  Gathering enough wild voles may be a problem though so you want to tame them and breed more before shipping them into there.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

though so you want to tame them and breed more before shipping them into there.

Even that wouldn't work. Tame ungroomed voles starve to death before laying an egg.

Normal maps have about 25 wild voles so this setup is good enough for about 7 dupes. Any more than that and you have to find other sources of food.

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

No. Once tame they stay tame, and their offspring is tame as well.

Guess I will have to move to an actual ranched set-up... Thanks everyone.

Anyone know the numbers for groomed voles (meat produced) and eggs laid by tame pacu? I think feeding a pacu 1kg of algae a day and keeping voles groomed and letting them starve might actually require less critters per dupe.

10 hours ago, whodunit said:

Even that wouldn't work. Tame ungroomed voles starve to death before laying an egg.

Hrm... according to oni-db, they take 3600 seconds to lay an egg whether they are happy or glum.  Is that an error?  It seems like it must be.  I keep mine groomed and hardly ever feed them and they just keep growing in number and making more meat than I can eat.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Hrm... according to oni-db, they take 3600 seconds to lay an egg whether they are happy or glum.  Is that an error?  It seems like it must be.  I keep mine groomed and hardly ever feed them and they just keep growing in number and making more meat than I can eat.

AFAIK tame unfed groomed voles leave an egg before dying. So they pretty much sustain the population. For them to grow in population you have to feed them. In your setup perhaps a few of them are getting fed so the population keeps increasing. I was actually testing in debug a while back with this but never used oni-db. Perhaps it has changed since then but i doubt it.

21 minutes ago, Artorias36 said:

How can you have a stable ranch of pacus? They eat algea like crazy even in maps with a lot of algea you will soon run out unless you use slimes to convert into algea, but even then eventualy you will run out as nothing create algea.

When you stop feeding them they'll still reproduce under the right circumstances. So the idea is only to feed them until you have a large enough population that you can live on the meat they drop when they die of old age. For example, it will require a pacu population of 25 to get one pacu fillet dropped every cycle on average. Combined with meat from hatches or Shove Voles as the most popular choices that's enough to feed 6 dupes with surf'n'turf.

On 26.1.2020 at 9:50 AM, Saturnus said:

Pacu's do not lay eggs in a 1x1 tile space if there already is an egg present in the pool.

Sorry, but I can't reproduce this. Your comment made me curious, as I never saw my Pacu populations decrease while having them in 1x1 pens.
So I made a quick test, with a big and a 1x1 pool, each starting with 5 freshly spawned Pacus + 1 egg.

On cycle 17 I found 5 eggs in each pool. On cycle 102 both populations had 7 critters in them.  Save game attached.

Unbenannt.thumb.png.bca4b408a50ddfcb6e337881ced2f3d2.png

(the 5th egg plopped out of mother after taking the picture)

Under which conditions they won't lay an egg?  Are you referring to tame ones?

Fun fact: you can achieve "Turn of the Century" even if all duplicants are dead. 

TTP 102.sav

2 hours ago, Artorias36 said:

How can you have a stable ranch of pacus? They eat algea like crazy even in maps with a lot of algea you will soon run out unless you use slimes to convert into algea, but even then eventualy you will run out as nothing create algea.

You can get more slime by ranching pufts, but yea, you can't produce enough to keep feeding pacu full time.

Feed them just 1 kg of slime per day so they get the buff and you should be able to get about 2 eggs out of them before they start starving.  You can get a third without feeding them too much more algae ( maybe 25 or 50 kg once or twice, then let them starve and lay the last egg before they die ).  Send the first one or two to another tank where you never feed them and have an auto sweeper pick up any eggs they lay immediately and send it to a dropper in another room ( other side of an open pneumatic door ).  When the egg hatches, it will flop through the door and into the water where it will lay another egg before it dies.

Archived