Bolt Chests  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new "bolts" mechanic?

• Yes
    • It seems like it could be alright
    • I'm not sure it actually works
    • No

I personally really do not like the chests. At first, I thought it was buying spools, not "bolts" I think buying spools would be a cool idea. But this bolts system just seems kind of flawed. Like there is a chest you buy called the Small Bolt Chest that gives you 5500 bolts, but the characters cost 6000 bolts. FORCING you to spend extra money that you may not want to. 

Trust me, I love Klei and I would support them with my money, but this bolt system seems just like a bit of an annoyance. I think we should just go back to buying the skins outright OR changing it to where "bolts" change to spools.

I really hate complaining at Klei for issues because they are such a great game development company, and ESPECIALLY after they just released Carrat racing... Anyway, this is what I think about the bolts. Let me hear what you guys think.

I'm not sure how to feel about the bolts myself. At first I thought it was just a PS4 thing introduced to get around more Sony nonsense, but I guess it is for all platforms?

Also, while I haven't had enough free time recently to check it out thoroughly (work has been a piece of sh*t lately), at a glance it seemed like bolts made the cheapest store purchases more expensive, and the most expensive store purchases cheaper. Is this indeed true, or did I miscalculate?

Edit: I didn't vote because i'm completely unsure of how I feel about bolts atm.

I'm fine with the bolts.

2 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

Small Bolt Chest that gives you 5500 bolts, but the characters cost 6000 bolts. FORCING you to spend extra money that you may not want to. 

If I remember right, bolts from the small chest are enough to buy a chest for just item skins, and you will have spare bolts left.

4 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

I think buying spools would be a cool idea

I don't really think that we should be able to buy spools. I weaved several skins with my hard-earned spools, and I'm proud of that. If Klei allowed us straight up buy spools, the other people who weaved skins like me would just blend in with the people who threw money at their consoles. I always think a game should have some cosmetics that you can't get by just by buying it with real money.

And yes, I know you can just buy a chest of skins and unravel them for spools, but that sounds like a huge waste of money, since you only get a portion of spools back from a skin that cost much more spools. You'd have to unravel like 3 skins to weave another skin of the same value.

4 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I'm not sure how to feel about the bolts myself. At first I thought it was just a PS4 thing introduced to get around more Sony nonsense, but I guess it is for all platforms?

Also, while I haven't had enough free time recently to check it out thoroughly (work has been a piece of sh*t lately), at a glance it seemed like bolts made the cheapest store purchases more expensive, and the most expensive store purchases cheaper. Is this indeed true, or did I miscalculate?

Edit: I didn't vote because i'm completely unsure of how I feel about bolts atm.

I added another poll option for that, but It seems like that? I want to buy the entire skin set for all the new beautiful skins added, but I need to buy the 10$ one and the 5$ one to spend the least amount possible. It truly sucks. I think we should just be able to buy them outright.

23 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

I think we should just go back to buying the skins outright OR changing it to where "bolts" change to spools.

Yeah I hate to say it considering the world we live in these days is flooded with obnoxious microtransactions, but I would like the ability to purchase spool bundles. Even if it ran the price up a bit. Ive become more of a Belongings kind of guy and none of the bundles really speak to me.

And like you said, i really hate to complain because Klei is amazing on all fronts. Honestly me and my fiancee have only made 1 store purchase, which was Wortox. I personally dont mind saving spools from unraveling gifts. We have, however, chosen to support Klei through the Klei store. We picked up the Calico Chester, Beefalo, Pink Winter Hat, and the.....Willow Pin I think it was. Looking forward to new store additions.

35 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

I'm fine with the bolts.

If I remember right, bolts from the small chest are enough to buy a chest for just item skins, and you will have spare bolts left.

I don't really think that we should be able to buy spools. I weaved several skins with my hard-earned spools, and I'm proud of that. If Klei allowed us straight up buy spools, the other people who weaved skins like me would just blend in with the people who threw money at their consoles. I always think a game should have some cosmetics that you can't get by just by buying it with real money.

And yes, I know you can just buy a chest of skins and unravel them for spools, but that sounds like a huge waste of money, since you only get a portion of spools back from a skin that cost much more spools. You'd have to unravel like 3 skins to weave another skin of the same value.

I agree with you, I am a bit upset that they added the option to buy skins on PS4. but I think it would be better than the bolts.

There are some skins I have thaty are practically impossible to get for others.... AND IT FEELS GREAT!!!

24 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Yeah I hate to say it considering the world we live in these days is flooded with obnoxious microtransactions, but I would like the ability to purchase spool bundles. Even if it ran the price up a bit. Ive become more of a Belongings kind of guy and none of the bundles really speak to me.

And like you said, i really hate to complain because Klei is amazing on all fronts. Honestly me and my fiancee have only made 1 store purchase, which was Wortox. I personally dont mind saving spools from unraveling gifts. We have, however, chosen to support Klei through the Klei store. We picked up the Calico Chester, Beefalo, Pink Winter Hat, and the.....Willow Pin I think it was. Looking forward to new store additions.

I was fine with the bundles, because some people don't have time to farm out all the skins, but the bolts just seem like extra junk we don't need. (I do feel really bad for bashing Klei.... I love em' to death...)

Also congrats on your Fiancee'ship'! 

3 hours ago, reverentsatyr said:

It actually is more profitable to buy some chests for getting spools then buying the some character skin sets themselves, though. For instance, Woodie’s individual triumphant/rose/guest of honor skins cost 5 dollars, and that’s exactly how much the forge weapons chest costs. Unraveling them all will give you the spools to weave the skin head and other items, and you will still have spools remaining.

It’s minor since it’s only one skin set and the multiple one is cheaper, but it’s still pretty interesting IMO.

My first thought as I scrolled through the new shop was ,"This looks gross." I went ahead and purchased the Giant bolt chest since I planned to spend at least $20. That gave me 26000 bolts. Bought the Contender's Promo chest for 13000 bolts. Then went to get the Bountious Bundle of the new skins for 16000 bolts and found myself short. I bought another Tiny bolt chest for $3 to get 3000 more bolts to bridge the gap. 

It's definitely sliced up in a that'll result in more spending, BUT the prices are still very reasonable. We can all agree that full set of the new item skins is worth $20 right? By the end of my transactions it felt like I was getting the full Contender Promo Set 2 for only $3. 

It also allows for purchasing OPTIONS for us on console. You can really pick and choose what you want from a skin set now so that you're only paying for the skins you actually want. 

All in all it's still a fair system. If the pricing breakdown happens to result in a few more people spending a tiny bit more, then so be it. That's how we get new content funded for ALL of us anyway.

Edit: Furthermore! Most of us here have a some level of "trust" in Klei. Obviously, it's a business and businesses need to make more money than the year before to survive. I think as long as we don't see Klei staff posting about their new Teslas on Twitter, we know any money coming in is being properly spent making this game we love that much better. A game half you got for free from a friend anyway!

15 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

My first thought as I scrolled through the new shop was ,"This looks gross." I went ahead and purchased the Giant bolt chest since I planned to spend at least $20. That gave me 26000 bolts. Bought the Contender's Promo chest for 13000 bolts. Then went to get the Bountious Bundle of the new skins for 16000 bolts and found myself short. I bought another Tiny bolt chest for $3 to get 3000 more bolts to bridge the gap. 

It's definitely sliced up in a that'll result in more spending, BUT the prices are still very reasonable. We can all agree that full set of the new item skins is worth $20 right? By the end of my transactions it felt like I was getting the full Contender Promo Set 2 for only $3. 

It also allows for purchasing OPTIONS for us on console. You can really pick and choose what you want from a skin set now so that you're only paying for the skins you actually want. 

All in all it's still a fair system. If the pricing breakdown happens to result in a few more spending a tiny bit more, then so be it. That's how we get new content funded for ALL of us. 

I do get that, it just seems like WAY to many extra steps to go through. It's kind alike how back on the eaaaarly days of Xbox 360 there was these things called Microsoft points where 80 points = 1 USD

This thing ---> Mspoints.PNG

Then later they just change it to normal USD which made things SOOOO much easier so you didn't have to do mental math to see how many dollars you truly had.

Although the Bolts are MUCH better than Microsoft Points, it still seems like extra. I know that some things are on "Sale" whether it be like 37% off,but why couldn't you just do that without the bolts? Also when you say

"It also allows for purchasing OPTIONS for us on console. You can really pick and choose what you want from a skin set now so that you're only paying for the skins you actually want. "

What do you mean by that? I know that they added ALOT more options, but why couldn't they do that without bolts? 

(P.S. I also want to support the devs, but this doesn't seem like the right way to do it)

-------------------------------------------------

I also want to add that I don't want them to remove the bolts add on, just revamp it a bit so buying bolts want to cause you to be short bolts having you buy an extra. Maybe add a 1$ option? Just in case you are short a few? So you aren't having to buy extra.

1 hour ago, GetRektKids said:

Also congrats on your Fiancee'ship'! 

Thanks. Don't Starve has actually been a staple of our relationship lol. I picked up the bundle years back shortly after it first hit PS4 but didn't play too much. Then when I met my soon to be wife I showed here the original Don't Starve figuring she would love the art direction, gameplay, and general vibe. And she did. Watching her play got me into it and we spent a few months taking turns surviving as long as we could in our own worlds before I realized I had purchased the bundle. We've been DST junkies ever since lol.

It's wild to think back on how our play style and abilities have evolved along side our relationship. She is the expert on base building, farming, cooking, and general combat where as my specialty has become spiders, the swamp and caves, general nomadic gathering of resources, and the manufacturer and application of gunpowder. There are a lot of real life parallels to who we are in game. It's crazy lol.

I think its safe to say that if Klei could make it to the wedding i'd want them as my best man, and she'd want them to give her away lol.

1 minute ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Thanks. Don't Starve has actually been a staple of our relationship lol. I picked up the bundle years back shortly after it first hit PS4 but didn't play too much. Then when I met my soon to be wife I showed here the original Don't Starve figuring she would love the art direction, gameplay, and general vibe. And she did. Watching her play got me into it and we spent a few months taking turns surviving as long as we could in our own worlds before I realized I had purchased the bundle. We've been DST junkies ever since lol.

It's wild to think back on how our play style and abilities have evolved along side our relationship. She is the expert on base building, farming, cooking, and general combat where as my specialty has become spiders, the swamp and caves, general nomadic gathering of resources, and the manufacturer and application of gunpowder. There are a lot of real life parallels to who we are in game. It's crazy lol.

I think its safe to say that if Klei could make it to the wedding i'd want them as my best man, and she'd want them to give her away lol.

THIS....THIS IS SO WHOLESOME!!!! 

IMA CRYY

No but seriously, what platform do you play on? (I HOPE ITS PS4)

I bet you guys are a cute couple!!!! I hope Klei can make it! 

have a great day!

2 hours ago, reverentsatyr said:

How can you see the difference between a skin you received from a drop or woven, and a skin you bought with real money?

Sorry for getting a bit off-topic, but I'm not familiar with the console versions. 

Hm weird, on ps4 the most expensive characters cost 5k bolts (Reworks, Wormwood, Warly, Wortox and Wurt), the rest all cost 3k bolts, and the $5 bolt chest gives you 5.5k bolts. You're left with 500 bolts. Seems pretty reasonable on consoles. No skin set goes over 20k bolts and the $20 bolt chest gives you 26k bolts, before all those chests cost $20 so we actually got a decrease in value for all skin sets. I personally love it, they already pronounced why this change was made, Sony gives them a lot of trouble every time they need to add a skin in the shop, having the bolts with a fixed price means they can add a lot more skins without the hassle.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:20 PM, GetRektKids said:

No but seriously, what platform do you play on? (I HOPE ITS PS4)

Lol yea, we are on PS4. 

We are currently working on a world we plan to open up one day actually, and I was wanting to invite some of the PS4 forum people to join and leave their mark in some way on the world.

Its been a bit tough though, between my work schedule and our 3 year old its been a bit difficult to find decent stretches of time to play lately.

9 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Lol yea, we are on PS4. 

We are currently working on a world we plan to open up one day actually, and I was wanting to invite some of the PS4 forum people to join and leave their mark in some way on the world.

Its been a bit tough though, between my work schedule and our 3 year old its been a bit difficult to find decent stretches of time to play lately.

Well if you ever manage to hop on, make sure you hit me up! 

My PSN: RoughCactus69

Archived