Melting wolframite

As far as I can remember, smelting ice in ice biome, gives twice as much water, as digging it first (we lose half mass on digging)

Is it good idea to smelt wolframite as tile, not digging it?

If it is, and people already do it, do someone have some notes about it?

I afraid slightly, because I never try such temperatures. As far as I can see I need to use some lead to smelt some iron to smelt some steel, and I must make working zone complete and perfect vacuum.

Can someone share some tricks or caveat? I gladly read before I start vaporizing my base by some mistake

51 minutes ago, Prince Mandor said:

As far as I can remember, smelting ice in ice biome, gives twice as much water, as digging it first (we lose half mass on digging)

Is it good idea to smelt wolframite as tile, not digging it?

It's doable and will give you the mentioned benefit. It can be a fun challenge!

Is it really worth it?
Only if you really need the extra tungsten and are unwilling to do something like this:

51 minutes ago, Prince Mandor said:

I afraid slightly, because I never try such temperatures. As far as I can see I need to use some lead to smelt some iron to smelt some steel, and I must make working zone complete and perfect vacuum.

Lead is a horrible medium (low shc). You probably have some magma somewhere on the map, use that as a starting medium. A steel pump can handle some 5t before it breaks, no need to repair it.
If you really have no magma on your map, it might be worthwhile to go lead->aluminium->iron->steel (if Aluminium is available). Or abuse rockets (rough estimate: 1-2 petrol starts+landings might be enough for 800 kg of steel.

I hope this is somewhat helpful, good luck and have fun :)

3 minutes ago, psusi said:

You can't since there is nothing you can build pipes out of that has a higher melting point than tungsten.

He only needs to melt Wolframite (2927°C). Either make some tungsten pipes the old fashion way or dump the hot stuff directly on the tiles you want to melt.

1 hour ago, Yalp said:

He only needs to melt Wolframite (2927°C). Either make some tungsten pipes the old fashion way or dump the hot stuff directly on the tiles you want to melt.

Oh weird, it does melt at a lower temperature than tungsten, even though it turns into tungsten when it does.

1 hour ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Insulation definitely does conduct heat.

Can you make non insulated pipes out of it?  I guess if you can then its TC is averaged with the other material so it will transfer heat.

On 12/23/2019 at 4:23 PM, psusi said:

Oh weird, it does melt at a lower temperature than tungsten, even though it turns into tungsten when it does.

Can you make non insulated pipes out of it?  I guess if you can then its TC is averaged with the other material so it will transfer heat.

That is precisely the point of an insulation melter, you run (typically) steel at 3700+K through normal pipes made of insulation to melt it. You basically transform reed fiber and abyssalite into tungsten. The process is fairly complicated since you need extreme conditions and you have to keep rebuilding the pipes, but it is doable. Not worth it in my opinion, but the challange is nice. The only more challanging thing that comes to my mind is flaking abyssalite with absurdly hot hydrogen.

7 hours ago, suxkar said:

flaking abyssalite with absurdly hot hydrogen

Mostly unrelated, but every once in a while I create a sandbox game where I fill some part of the map (usually the abyssalite veins for their reach) with millions of tons of material per tile at like 9700 K and just watch the world sublimate. Soothing.

10 hours ago, suxkar said:

That is precisely the point of an insulation melter, you run (typically) steel at 3700+K through normal pipes made of insulation to melt it. You basically transform reed fiber and abyssalite into tungsten. The process is fairly complicated since you need extreme conditions and you have to keep rebuilding the pipes, but it is doable. Not worth it in my opinion, but the challange is nice. The only more challanging thing that comes to my mind is flaking abyssalite with absurdly hot hydrogen.

Oh, I was thinking of using the insulation pipe to heat just plain abyssalite to melt it into tungsten rather than the insulation itself.

1 hour ago, caffeinated21 said:

How would you transfer the heat? Liquid steel? 

Hydrogen.  Or better yet, the refined carbon trick used in that burning down gravitas video.  Come to think of it, how did he transfer the heat to the coal to turn it into refined carbon?

16 hours ago, psusi said:

... the refined carbon trick used in that burning down gravitas video.  Come to think of it, how did he transfer the heat to the coal to turn it into refined carbon?

Just put the coal on a metal tile and run a pipe with hot stuff through it. Or drop some hot oil on top of it.

You can destroy gravitas without making a tile on it though. Just heat the tile below the gravita's root block.

For melting abyssalite that way you will take a long time though, assuming your Δt is sufficient to even have heat transfer.

On 12/25/2019 at 7:32 PM, Ixenzo said:

Mostly unrelated, but every once in a while I create a sandbox game where I fill some part of the map (usually the abyssalite veins for their reach) with millions of tons of material per tile at like 9700 K and just watch the world sublimate. Soothing.

That is a lovely thought

5 hours ago, Yalp said:

Just put the coal on a metal tile and run a pipe with hot stuff through it. Or drop some hot oil on top of it.

You can destroy gravitas without making a tile on it though. Just heat the tile below the gravita's root block.

For melting abyssalite that way you will take a long time though, assuming your Δt is sufficient to even have heat transfer.

I guess you would need something like liquid tugsten as "coolant" for many metal refineries and a couple thousand cycles

4 hours ago, suxkar said:

I guess you would need something like liquid tugsten as "coolant" for many metal refineries and a couple thousand cycles

Liquid Steel Freezing point
1083.85 °C  → steel 3826.85 °C  → gas steel
Abyssalite melts at 3421.85 °C  and Insulation 3621.85 °C

10 hours ago, KILLABUDZ said:
Liquid Steel Freezing point
1083.85 °C  → steel 3826.85 °C  → gas steel
Abyssalite melts at 3421.85 °C  and Insulation 3621.85 °C

Yes but you would need much more then 3826C to have a meaningful Δt to transfer heat to abyssalite

53 minutes ago, suxkar said:

Yes but you would need much more then 3826C to have a meaningful Δt to transfer heat to abyssalite

So far, game have a mechanic to form flakes or bubbles by instantly converting 5kg of material into another state. So, you don't need to heat up abyssalite itself, only gas near it

18 minutes ago, Prince Mandor said:

So far, game have a mechanic to form flakes or bubbles by instantly converting 5kg of material into another state. So, you don't need to heat up abyssalite itself, only gas near it

I know that too, we were talking about normal melting I believe

Normal melting of abyssalite tile will takes too long.

But possibly by surrounding abyssalite cell with a tons of molten steel and full set of diamond tempshift plates... I'm not have computer right now, so experiments waits for weekend. But it must be simple, just spawn in sandbox mode square of eight diamond tempshifts surrounding abyssalite, and create small sea of molten steel. And looks for abyssalite temperature change in a cycle or two. I try it tomorrow, if nobody try it earlier

Archived