Question about Return of Them lore

Is Return of Them arc is happening before characters got through the gateway or after? Becouse it's a little bit confusing, If after then Billy and Mumsy should be with us unless something happened to them in maybe third event world and thats why characters returned without them. But if it is happening before and They really returned, in the forge trailer it seems like nothing really changed other than Charlie collecting power from portal, then again their were underground and the moon have no power there so i don't know. What are you thinking about this?

I think it's happening before the Forge and Gorge. I don't have any direct evidence for the timeline being that way, but it makes more sense to me and I prefer to think the characters didn't go through all that just to get dumped right back into the Constant without Billy and Mumsy or anyone else from the Quagmire.

So far we haven't really seen any changes from Return of Them that would affect the ruins, yeah; it's all been ocean stuff and lunar stuff.

I personally feel like RoT is AFTER the gateway events. I could see after the Survivors jumped in the portal after satisfying The Maw that they did get tossed back into The Constant. I feel like their portal tampering may have opened The Constant up for more visitors like Wortox, Wormwood, Wurt, Warly, and whoever else we get too. 

I get the sense from the shorts that the Survivors have spent a good amount of time back in The Constant after the events before the moon broke off. Until then, I feel like the Survivors were out of ideas to escape so they've been learning to live comfortably in their prison. 

I forgot about the winters feast forge and gorge ornaments, if i remember correctly, survivors did not remember what they are representing, could they lose they memory then?

9 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

I personally feel like RoT is AFTER the gateway events. I could see after the Survivors jumped in the portal after satisfying The Maw that they did get tossed back into The Constant. I feel like their portal tampering may have opened The Constant up for more visitors like Wortox, Wormwood, Wurt, Warly, and whoever else we get too. 

I get the sense from the shorts that the Survivors have spent a good amount of time back in The Constant after the events before the moon broke off. Until then, I feel like the Survivors were out of ideas to escape so they've been learning to live comfortably in their prison. 

I see, but what happened to Billy and Mumsy, they said they will follow us, maybe they found better place to live or something happened to them in let's say third event world.

32 minutes ago, Kuba5565 said:

I forgot about the winters feast forge and gorge ornaments, if i remember correctly, survivors did not remember what they are representing, could they lose they memory then?

I see, but what happened to Billy and Mumsy, they said they will follow us, maybe they found better place to live or something happened to them in let's say third event world.

The portals are funky. I don't think the Survivors are choosing where to go. I think the portals spit the user out wherever it wants, so when Mumsy and Billy jumped in they were sent elsewhere. 

Well, from what I gathered, there's many worlds within the constant, rather than outside it. And the portals aren't really cohesive, you can't know for sure where they'll lead you to. I assumed that from the fact that whenever we die, the survivors are found in a complete different map, though still inside the constant. A dimension that englobes many smaller ones, if I may. (Also by observing how Adventure mode went by in the solo Dont Starve)

I also remember a thread here on the forums that tried to explain the Cyclum Puzzles, and there was hypothesized the Portal Max and Wil created, served as a way to connect many other pathways (other worlds) to lead to a single direction, thus being able to bring all survivors together. I like that idea a lot haha

Mumsy and Billy said they'd follow us, but we can't know for sure if they did it (the gnaw was satisfied, so no more plague- there's a possibility they decided to stay) and if they did, we also cant know where the portal led them to. But I do think Gorge and Forge happened before RoT; the ornaments added during Winter's Feast do show the survivors possibly lost their memory, but even then the ornaments seem familiar, hinting they've indeed met. (Mainly from Wendy and Wortox)

Champion Adornments:

"A remembrance of past carnage" - Wendy

"Kinda familiar, eh, Lucy?" - Woodie

"I remember when we played there!" - Wortox

Appeasing Adornments:

"There's soemthing familiar about it" - Maxwell

"Should old acquaintance be forgot" - Wendy

"Adornment from the land of goats" - Wortox

Btw wortox's quote also intrigues me haha since he was added after the events. Makes me think if the gates are still open, or if he somehow can travel between worlds himself with his imp powers

15 minutes ago, 7Meias said:

Btw wortox's quote also intrigues me haha since he was added after the events. Makes me think if the gates are still open, or if he somehow can travel between worlds himself with his imp powers

My guess would be the devs had to put something in there for Wortox so things function better for modders. I don't think we'll see another Forge Event. That said, Wortox is definitely world hopping by different means. I believe his quote for the ancient gateway mentions him first entering The Constant through there. 

39 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

My guess would be the devs had to put something in there for Wortox so things function better for modders. I don't think we'll see another Forge Event. That said, Wortox is definitely world hopping by different means. I believe his quote for the ancient gateway mentions him first entering The Constant through there. 

Yeah, i also don't think we'll see another forge/gorge event- the "open gates" was more from a lore-wise standpoint~
And well, i doubt they added his quotes "just because", otherwise they would've chosen a more neutral phrase like, idk, "These look cute" or even wurt's phrase that is just "...?" haha Which does make it seem like he can world hop or at least was once able to through different means as you've said

You're right there, wortox does talk about the ancient gateway as if he came throught it hmmm But so does Winona, Wilson, Wolfgang and Willow. Which brings a whole new conversation to the table /7\ We know what Winona and Wilson's portals looked like, but nothing else about the others' (if they built them themselves, if they found them, etc). Sounds like something Klei would rather leave to interpretation than actively show in a short tho

Archived