DST 'Big Three' Character Reworks [Video]

WX-78 is the character refresh I'm looking forward to the most. His playstyle really doesn't have any downsides, other than the water damage. First and foremost, I think there needs to be a reliable way to gain charge in the game without a Wicker. Second, I'd like some aspects focused on helping the team. New craftables maybe? Not sure what that would entail. I do think that his gear upgrade system needs to be reworked all together. Maybe make gears a component in crafting certain upgrades. To apply these upgrades, he should need to either enter a special chamber leaving him vulnerable or have a Winona apply them onto him. These upgrades would boost certain stats, apply special bonuses (such as a heat aura, electric damage buff aura etc.) and work in a skill-tree system. He could only have a certain amount of upgrades at a time, and to respec he'd need gears and to enter the special upgrade chamber. For downsides, I think he should rust when wet (slower movement) and lose the ability to heal from food. It makes more sense for him than it does for Wormwood.

Edit: I would like add on to the skill-tree idea to further cement his playstyle as RPG-esque by having him do certain "quests" (killing mobs/bosses) to obtain upgrade materials. Dragonfly scales for a heat radiator upgrade (immune to freezing for himself and others in his immediate area), Malbatross feathers for a "lightweight" upgrade, increasing his movement speed and an electric damage upgrade that requires a volt horn, nitre and steel wool. None of these will be cosmetic besides any light effects.

Yeah, Wickebottom's going to be the most interesting lore-wise since we barely know about her. Wolfgang's rework should reflect his history as a solider, while WX has a connection with Wagstaff.

There's also Wolfgang's hobby as a florist/gardener that could be explored in the future.

30 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Yeah, Wickebottom's going to be the most interesting lore-wise since we barely know about her. Wolfgang's rework should reflect his history as a solider, while WX has a connection with Wagstaff.

There's also Wolfgang's hobby as a florist/gardener that could be explored in the future.

Maybe a sanity boost when planting flowers? I'd like to see that too. I'd also like to see how his soldier life has effected him. Specifically teamwork (I'm sure he valued camaraderie in the war) and his shell shock from said war. In the curio cabinet, Wolfgang is described as affable and it mentions how he has various phobias (explaining the sanity loss). He works well with others and is friendly according to the lore, so why not make him gain a sanity boost/instant might when near players? This could be explained by the fact that Wolf feels more capable and safe near teammates. I think the scaredy-cat nature of Wolfgang should be able to be remedied. He needs an even higher multiplier for sanity loss towards all hostile mobs, but he should be able to "get over" a phobia temporarily when a teammate kills a certain mob/he kills many of that mob. For example, if a Wes kills a spider in front of Wolf, he would be less scared (normal sanity drain) of spiders for ten or so days. I also want the literal strongman to have NO speed penalty when moving statues. It'd also be pretty funny to give him the ability to carry and throw players (with their permission of course. These changes would make him more team-based and give him more depth than just "small man eat. become big. strong. fast." 

Wickerbottom:  Tweak the materials required for her books, or reduce the number of uses in a book, and require her to have the sanity to spend to read the book.  Give her more books with crazier recipies.  I don't care if she has a dozen books lol

Wolfgang:  Remove speed boost when in mighty form, and slightly reduce hp.  Then let him carry statues at a much faster speed than other players.  Give him the ability to lift mobs, players, and structures in mighty form and throw them for aoe damage (or just to move the furnature)

WX:  I would say while he's considered a top tier character, he's also very bland.  Its only WITH wicker that he really shines.  What I'd like to see is that rather than eating gears to upgrade, that he can craft unique modules that he can equip on his head / body / hands which alter him.  He uses gears to craft these, along with some other materials.  They will lose charge over time.  When he's struck by lightning it charges these back to full, so spring is his time to refresh his gear (or with wicker.)  Take his current powerset of speed, light, and health and convert these into upgrades but add more options.

alright so, while I can't give the best input on what I'd like to see for these 3 characters, mostly due to the fact that i don't really play as any of them, it was interesting to hear you put the different components of a good rework into perspective, and that applies to every character. I'd need some time to think of ideas for the holy trinity, since i'm usually thinking about the characters who are in bigger need of a rework. 

1 hour ago, aldskfjroqfpida said:

There is a way gain overcharge without a wicker. Use a telestaff on a pet, and since wx acts as a lightning rod it will strike him.

That is quite expensive. Also, the telelocator staff does not stack, meaning you can only benefit from one charge (lasting one day) at a time. Instead of using two purple gems to charge yourself for a maximum of 5 days (5 uses of telestaff), why not use one purple gem to switch to Wickerbottom and charge WX-78 for two weeks? It is broken. At least let charged Volt Goats activate his system overload...

Archived