Moral effect duration

The game doesn't show the durations of morale effects. I haven't seen anyone compile a list, so I decided to do it myself. Also noticed that some furniture has extra effects - those are also described here.

All morale furniture and "Socialized" also apply a hidden half cycle "recently used x" effect that prevents constant reuse of same furniture.

Morale furniture (use time is in seconds, I think):

Spoiler

Effect name        Morale Duration   Use time   Notes
SpaceTourist         8    25.00      N/A        Also buffs all skills by 3 for same duration
BeachChairLit        8    11.95      150        -15% stress during use, +50% stamina/cycle during use, activated if at least 113 seconds of 9999 light
BeachChairUnlit      5    11.95      150        -15% stress during use, +50% stamina/cycle during use, if <113 seconds of 9999 light
HotTub               5     7.95      90         -15% stress during use
VerticalWindTunnel   5     7.95      90         -15% stress during use
PlayedArcade         2     3.95      15         -10% stress during use
Danced               2     3.95      15         -10% stress during use
MechanicalSurfboard  2     3.95      30         -10% stress during use
Sauna                2     3.95      30         -10% stress during use
Showered             3     0.90      15         
Espresso             4     0.75      30         Also buffs Athletics by 1
Juicer               4     0.75      30         Also buffs Strength by 1
SodaFountain         4     0.75      30         Also buffs Science by 1

Other effects:

Spoiler

Effect name        Morale Duration Notes
RoomLatrine          1     1.10   
RoomBathroom         2     1.10   
RoomMessHall         3     1.10   
RoomGreatHall        6     1.10   
RoomBarracks         1     1.10   
RoomBedroom          2     1.10   
Socialized           1     1.10   
EdibleMinus3        -1     1.10   Food quality -1. In all food quality effects, "No taste" gains +1 quality, "Gourmand" gets -1 but no worse than -1.
EdibleMinus2         0     1.10   Food quality 0
EdibleMinus1         1     1.10   Food quality 1
Edible0              4     1.10   Food quality 2
Edible1              8     1.10   Food quality 3
Edible2             12     1.10   Food quality 4
Edible3             16     1.10   Food quality 5. Note: quality 6 exists (burgers), but only Gourmands can tell it apart from quality 5.
MessTableSalt        1     1.10   
DecorMinus1         -1     1.10   Avg. decor <-30
Decor0               0     1.10   Avg. decor <0
Decor1               1     1.10   Avg. decor <30
Decor2               3     1.10   Avg. decor <60
Decor3               6     1.10   Avg. decor <90
Decor4               9     1.10   Avg. decor <120
Decor5              12     1.10   Avg. decor >=120
Break1               0     1.10   One morale for each break "tick" after first one
Break2               1     1.10   
Break3               2     1.10   
Break4               3     1.10   
Break5               4     1.10   
RoomPark             3     0.40   Removes nature reserve effect!
RoomNatureReserve    6     0.40   Removes park effect!

Conclusions:

• Beach chair, hot tub and wind tunnel are not for "regular" dupes, but for stressed out ones who need a vacation. Skill scrubber is better at this job.
  • Espresso, soda and juicer are pretty terrible for morale
  • Work on decor and add a nature reserve in a strategic spot before bothering with active furniture; active furniture is very underwhelming
  • Carpet your beach, wind tunnel, hot tub, scrubber etc., it will double the passive stress drop
  • Remember that astronauts don't get stressed (or eat, or consume oxygen) while in the rocket. Don't let them out until you need them out.

I love your conclusions!

* I like how you described the idea of 'vacation'. makes you think of making maybe a special resort with access only for stressed dupes. like an expensive massage table. I dont know if it was intentional by Klei's designers but if so, those guys are cleaver.

I HATED the stuff that were added in recreation update as I thought they kinda go out of the line of trying to *survive* on an asteroid and most of them seemed kinda cartoony/childish (I get that its part of the design but some stuff are maybe... too much? like dancing stereo robot? and small surfing board?).

However, the way you mentioned it, it suddenly sounds more reasonable. make a nice place with beach chairs and hot sauna near the surface of the asteroid and make it like a vacation place for stressed dupes. brilliant.

* yea I agree. the buff is pretty good but the duration just makes it not very worthwhile. I would say they are the same cost as dancing (they require plants/water, dance requires more power). maybe if they were as long as shower or even a whole cycle they would be better?

*  Carpet: also beneath the beds x:

Thank you very much for taking the time. This is super useful.

17 minutes ago, meepmoop said:

*  Carpet: also beneath the beds x:

I think carpet tiles are stil meh.. With the range buff they can be used as ceiling while not slowing down dupes but the gains are so marginal compared to gold metal tiles.. plus, if you want to decor bomb, transparent diamond tiles with statue rows underneath are still better. They also require precious reed fiber

11 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:
  Hide contents

Conclusions:

• Work on decor and add a nature reserve in a strategic spot before bothering with active furniture; active furniture is very underwhelming

If you have any kind of pneumatic tube system, convert the "dead space" between destinations to Nature Reserves, so that your Dupes get the morale boost just for using your travel systems.

vOwS8.png

@Coolthulhu One thing I think you've missed on your conclusions that is critical when judging which buildings are best: how long the dupes spend on each structure.

Beach Chair takes about 4 day segments, which is insanely long, but gives that whopping +12 bonus. It's also quite easy to give upkeep, so long as you have access to space or a beefy power supply. Wind tunnel and hot tub have less bonuses, but can service multiple dupes for massive bases.

Espresso, juicer, and soda press are very quick, and can allow a dupe to do other things during downtime, such as showering. They also give those nice bonuses to stats, and are super easy to supply/maintain compared to sauna and surfboard.

Early game, showers are super easy morale, because they take negligible time to use, are easy to supply/maintain, and provide significant morale for their ease of use.

Surfboard, sauna, jukebot, and arcade are not worth the effort, because they provide too little morale for their difficulty in maintaining or power investment. If you can overcome the water problem, surfboard might be okay because of its buff duration.

8 hours ago, suxkar said:

I think carpet tiles are stil meh..

Dupes who stand (or lie or float in a building) on a carpet tile gain a -15% stress/cycle buff. If you put it beneath the bed, you almost double the sleeping stress reduction.

1 hour ago, crypticorb said:

@Coolthulhu One thing I think you've missed on your conclusions that is critical when judging which buildings are best: how long the dupes spend on each structure.

I listed the usage times for each building, including shower.

When your dupes have 10 or so athletics, that +1 won't make a noticeable difference and it costs them a noticeable fraction of the cycle to recharge it, get to it, then use it. The buff lasts a very short time and you have to take the sleep time out of it unless you put your downtime after sleep time.

By pure math: if +1 athletics is +10% speed and you spend 0.75 of a cycle (450 seconds) on just walking, you gain about 45 seconds, after spending 30 to use the soda. That means that unless you recharge it for free, you gain only 15 seconds. But +1 athletics is much less than +10% speed, since your dupe already has 4-5 athletics by the time they sip the first soda. Other stat bonuses are similarly underwhelming.

Dancing and playing arcade will together take comparable time to sipping one soda, but last over 5 times as long. If you're drinking for stat bonuses, you're wasting time (as per math above). If you're drinking for morale, you can get a better deal by playing DDR. If you don't need morale, you're better off with the dupe having a schedule with only enough downtime to eat. There is no situation where drinking is better than dancing and video games together.

On 12/15/2019 at 7:49 AM, Coolthulhu said:

Morale furniture (use time is in seconds, I think):

Reveal hidden contents

Effect name        Morale Duration   Use time   Notes
SpaceTourist         8    25.00      N/A        Also buffs all skills by 3 for same duration
BeachChairLit        8    11.95      150        -15% stress during use, +50% stamina/cycle during use, activated if at least 113 seconds of 9999 light
BeachChairUnlit      5    11.95      150        -15% stress during use, +50% stamina/cycle during use, if <113 seconds of 9999 light
HotTub               5     7.95      90         -15% stress during use
VerticalWindTunnel   5     7.95      90         -15% stress during use
PlayedArcade         2     3.95      15         -10% stress during use
Danced               2     3.95      15         -10% stress during use
MechanicalSurfboard  2     3.95      30         -10% stress during use
Sauna                2     3.95      30         -10% stress during use
Showered             3     0.90      15         
Espresso             4     0.75      30         Also buffs Athletics by 1
Juicer               4     0.75      30         Also buffs Strength by 1
SodaFountain         4     0.75      30         Also buffs Science by 1

Thank you, I was looking for the use time everywhere!

I wanted to make a copy of your list with additional columns added, but I can't for the life of my figure out how, because I'm unable to edit the copy-pasted spoiler in this stupid failure of a WYSIWYG editor. :/

Archived