I don`t understand Wurt

Her main perk seems to be the Merm stuff. But bunnymen beat even buffed merm guards

Bunnymen's attack rate is 2 , 40 dmg, and very aggresive AI,

Where as Loyal Merm Guards attack rate is 3, 50 damage, they dodge, scatter all over the place, and make the fight more difficult. On top of that tentacle spots aren`t exactly a common drop, and they require a king to be alive to not suck. 

She doesn`t have any use for meat or trinkets. needs to farm which is not that great, and all her perks are useless in ruins since having a king down there is WAAAY to much of a hassle to be worth it.

To be fair her only upside imo the Marsh Turf. Am I missing something? I mean i tried playing her several times but i just ended up playing a vegetarian Wlson with his hunger and sanity stats reversed that has to mine all the time for gold. 

TL;DR in the end Wurt trades meat and pigs for easier to craft cobblestone roads (her Marsh tuft)

(Should`ve bought Wortox instead)

You forgot about her best perks tho

Spoiler

>is a cutie pie

>Will make you smile irl periodically

Haha but no coming from a purely meta gameplay perspective she doesn't bring much to the table. The only reason anyone would refrain to call her bad is that the RoT updates may indirectly buff her in the future.

Honestly cant even call her bad now that the recent patch got rid of her biggest downside of not being able to trade with PK. She is at the very least unique if you care about different playstyles

1 hour ago, LaurelWreaths said:

[SNIP]

TL;DR in the end Wurt trades meat and pigs for easier to craft cobblestone roads (her Marsh tuft)

(Should`ve bought Wortox instead)

Well it all goes down to how do you like to approach the game, Wortox is a very fun character but Wurt can be too, you just need to adjust a bunch your gameplay. I'll give you a few tips of things I found useful to make her playthrough fun:

Spoiler

1) Don't aim to use farms until very late game, once you are pretty well settled. In the first few days collect at least 30 berry bushes or juicy berry bushes, plant them in your camp, and fertilize. Fistfull of Jam is going to be your best friend once the first winter hits (try to give time to the bushes to grow berries before winter, since once winter starts they won't give more berries. Berries in the plant won't spoil, so only pick the bare minimum you will use. Don't forget to protect your berries from Gobblers with a lure.

2) If you don't set your first camp in the swamp, try to make at least 2 or 3 normal merm houses near your base. Then use those merms for literally EVERYTHING: mass chop trees and mass mine stones.

3) Try to find the lunar island. This is probably the most important thing I did as her, it takes a while I know, and it costs a bunch of resources, but once you find it, everything will turn into an easier ride. Once you get to the island collect all the stone fruit bushes (there must be at least 20) and collect all the beached bull kelps (there must be at least 15). Bring all that stuff to your base, plant the bull kelp in a shore near base, and all the stone fruits in your base.

4) Once you have the stone fruits fertilized, collect the stone fruits and have a merm open them all for you. Bring all the avocados to befriend all the merms you can find in the marsh, and use them to kill all the tentacles. You can start making some merm guards with those and the wood the merms can also help you collect.

5) Make a Merm King, and collect fish by fishing and making the merms kill eachother. I got 30 tentacle spots in no time that way, and made my first merm army (20). Merm king can be kept alive with the stone fruits as well.

6) Befriend with 4 avocados each merm (that gives you about 2 days fo friendship) and take them to battle anywhere on the surface. You are now ready to kill bee queen and Dragonfly, super fast.

7) Make a merm king in the caves and another caves merm army. When you get enough rock fruit sprouts, make another rock fruits farm in the caves.

8) Kill everything, in both the surface and the caves.

Warrior merms are superior in my opinion to bunnies, since you can take them anywhere, they are always available, are super fast, will not turn on you, and with a Merm king alive they respawn in less than a day. I strongly recommend that you use a boomerang and do the cancel animation when trying to attack things, they will all run like a bullet to the target and very likely kill it. Bunnies require to be kept always on location, and are not always available. Its a matter of taste, really.

Once you manage to be backed by merms your DPS will be boosted for 2 days, and you will sure deal quite a punch, anywhere on the map.

For a more casual gameplay, hopping into public servers for a little, or playing nomad, I agree that she sucks and it's not the way she was probably intended to be played as. Wortox fits that nomad role a lot better.

1 hour ago, Brago-sama said:

She is at the very least unique if you care about different playstyles

Yup. This has been the biggest fun and advantage of playing Wurt for me. It gave me a different feel of the game.

Only things I'd tweak, as I say in every Wurt thread, would be king losing hunger slower and merm guards automatically aggro'ing giants and hounds at least when they are buffed.

Also merm guards going back to their homes after losing loyalty instead of forever being lost in the middle of the world.

36 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Reveal hidden contents

1) Don't aim to use farms until very late game, once you are pretty well settled. In the first few days collect at least 30 berry bushes or juicy berry bushes, plant them in your camp, and fertilize. Fistfull of Jam is going to be your best friend once the first winter hits (try to give time to the bushes to grow berries before winter, since once winter starts they won't give more berries. Berries in the plant won't spoil, so only pick the bare minimum you will use. Don't forget to protect your berries from Gobblers with a lure.

2) If you don't set your first camp in the swamp, try to make at least 2 or 3 normal merm houses near your base. Then use those merms for literally EVERYTHING: mass chop trees and mass mine stones.

3) Try to find the lunar island. This is probably the most important thing I did as her, it takes a while I know, and it costs a bunch of resources, but once you find it, everything will turn into an easier ride. Once you get to the island collect all the stone fruit bushes (there must be at least 20) and collect all the beached bull kelps (there must be at least 15). Bring all that stuff to your base, plant the bull kelp in a shore near base, and all the stone fruits in your base.

4) Once you have the stone fruits fertilized, collect the stone fruits and have a merm open them all for you. Bring all the avocados to befriend all the merms you can find in the marsh, and use them to kill all the tentacles. You can start making some merm guards with those and the wood the merms can also help you collect.

5) Make a Merm King, and collect fish by fishing and making the merms kill eachother. I got 30 tentacle spots in no time that way, and made my first merm army (20). Merm king can be kept alive with the stone fruits as well.

6) Befriend with 4 avocados each merm (that gives you about 2 days fo friendship) and take them to battle anywhere on the surface. You are now ready to kill bee queen and Dragonfly, super fast.

7) Make a merm king in the caves and another caves merm army. When you get enough rock fruit sprouts, make another rock fruits farm in the caves.

Warrior merms are superior in my opinion to bunnies, since you can take them anywhere, they are always available, are super fast, will not turn on you, and with a Merm king alive they respawn in less than a day. I strongly recommend that you use a boomerang and do the cancel animation when trying to attack things, they will all run like a bullet to the target and very likely kill it. Bunnies require to be kept always on location, and are not always available. Its a matter of taste, really.

Once you manage to be backed by merms your DPS will be boosted for 2 days, and you will sure deal quite a punch, anywhere on the map.

For a more casual gameplay, hopping into public servers for a little, or playing nomad, I agree that she sucks and it's not the way she was probably intended to be played as. Wortox fits that nomad role a lot better.

Yeah but the time it takes you make that extremely expensive merm guard army and king ...

I`m all for unique gameplay. But everybody has simple/direct perks meanwhile wurt is: cause complete deforestation for a gazilion extra boards for merms, king, and boat for kelps for king and by the time you enter caves you either pretend you`re a vegeterian wilson, or start over and spent an entire season exclusively cutting wood and getting food for that king that doesn`t give the buffs anybody would actually want (damage or speed)

Trust me if Wickerbottom's books costed something like 30 papyrus 25 nightmare fuel and they wold only work while she has maximum sanity (something that wold be as annoying as feeding that king) people wouldn`t enjoy playing her as much. 

36 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Hide contents

Wilson grows a beard, Willow is immune to fire, Wolfgang eats for dmg, Wortox teleports, Webber has spider friends, Wendy has a ghost sister. Maxwell and Woodie gather stuff meanwhile Wurt: All of the above

If you care about playing the best possible character in the game then just stick to Wx/Wolfgang/Wicker/Wortox and never play any other character.

You'd be missing out though.

edit: I've been blessed by one of Lakurius' famous 'confused', I'm so excited right now I'm shaking!!!

- Merm Guard have more than 3 times the amount of health than Bunnymen with a slight increase in damage. True they dont have the same amount of DPS that Bunnymen do, however they are more sustainable in combat "due to" their kiting ai (bunnymen die fairly easily to AoE attacks because they group together, even if they survive a few AoE hits they will all run away anyways). Another advantage is that they are immune to fear penalties (such as from the Bee Queen), so you will not have to worry about them running home.

- Meat can be used to make fresh eggs that can be used as crockpot filler. Very nice when you are loaded up on morsels, meat, or monster meat.

- A Top Hat and a single Fish gives enough sanity to negate sanity loss in both the caves and at night. Understandably it's harder to amass Pigskin without a dedicated farm for it so most Wurt players will have to resort to body slot armors, however as a tip you can use either your choice of a Thulecite suit or Scalemail to regain sanity (without fear of losing durability) combined with a fish to beat even Maxwell at sanity regen. With the new update that adds the Tin Fishin' Bin, you can constantly swap out your pet fish for a new one every time they start to spoil (like thermal stones)

- Craftsmerm are nice for chopping trees and mining boulders (latter of which can be used for easily mining marble trees and Stone Fruit) as well as holding their own against tree guards very nicely (especially with Merm King alive). One other advantage/disadvantage of Craftsmerms is that they do not return to their houses at any point which is not so bad if you use them for local purposes (plus, if they do get away you can always start a war with them to give valuable resources and respawn them all the while).

- Giving the King of Merms a fish will reward Trinkets, Seeds, Rot, Spots, and Kelp Fronds. The Trinkets are useful for using with the Antlion, drying Kelp will give you back 10 sanity when eaten (as any character), Seeds can be fed to birds in a Bird Cage for a 33% chance of obtaining Guano which will speed up farming drastically when amassed in bulk; not to mention that you can keep giving the same seeds over and over again until you get the Guano you want. 

- One other Tip I do have for her is to use Birchnut Trees for tree farms than regular Pine Trees to both increase the rate in which you get Living Logs (Craftsmerm do pretty well against poison treeguards, but also to amass a "ton" of Birchnuts for Trail Mix. With a dedicated Juicy berry farm, you will have an easy alternative to Pierogies that will become very sustainable later game.

- Farms are definitely in need of tuning, be it in cost of creation or occurrence of crop-specific seed drops from a birdcage so I do agree very much so about the annoyance to both creating and maintaining farms for her.

Wurt is definitely a character you play for the long-term, not someone you can just pop in and out with. Personally, I like her because she requires a bit of planning ahead and rewards different playstyles.

And to be clear, I like that all characters are different in terms of strength, Some are OP, some suck. I don`t want Wurt to be op, or even strong. I just want to justify all that trouble you have to go through to set her in motion

2 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

If you care about playing the best possible character in the game then just stick to Wx/Wolfgang/Wicker/Wortox and never play any other character.

You'd be missing out though.

I never played any of them except WX for a while and that was because i wanted to make a meme clockwork new moon army. As i said, i just want going through all that trouble to be justified. It's like having warly have Voat Goat jelly for electric 2.5X damage, but all characters have an easier recipe for 3x damage

And fyi I always was a willow/woodie main (even way before the upgrade when they kinda sucked especially willow)

She fine.

Enter public server -> Find Swamp -> Get 10+ Merms - > Get 1k Wood -> Drop wood 1 by 1 -> Torch it -> Watch server die -> Make Willow happy

Or use that wood to make more merms, that's probably how you'll be playing if you want a Mermtropolis done. Only make the guards around Bee Queen/insertotherlocationsyoufinduseful so you don't need to maintain a King 24/7 when you don't need the guards, guards/king aren't worthwhile on pubs unless you have an entire day to play.

And as you said, marsh turfs.

1 minute ago, LaurelWreaths said:

Btw I like how everybody ignored the gold from PK problem 

Also she has no healing food during winter. No butter muffins and no birch nuts. So she is kinda farm dependant to have those dragonfruits always there

Birch nuts take a while to go bad so you can use them during winter, healings salves are a thing, tents too. You won't have a gold problem unless you're mass making golden tools.

19 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

You won't have a gold problem unless you're mass making golden tools.

This.

The only thing that felt hurtful to me when running out of gold was not being able to make new lifegiving amulets. To fix that I briefly switched to Wigfrid through the portal, traded all the million trinkets I had, plus 3 stacks of spoiling eggs I had in a chest, and got enough gold for a couple of years, plus a mountain of Wig helmets, so I don't have to farm pigs during full moons anymore.

I suppose its problematic that her gameplay is very different and the rewards are quite different too, I can totally understand that she may not be for everyone.

She doesn't bring a whole lot to the table besides an alternate playstyle which would be fine in a single player game, but as a MP exclusive character, she needs a little TLC. If anything I'd take cost reduction and maybe some resource changes for the Royal Tapestry, which is just a pain in the butt to get up and running.

Something off about MK giving trinkets, presumably so that other players can gift to PK. Seems to run counter to the Merm/Pig war idea. Would be cool if he could reward something else instead, something that would make losing the gold option from PK worth it.

Also, having him starve to death is kind of a bummer, I'd rather have him give like, a blessing, or something when he is fed that goes away after a certain amount of time. As is, he just feels like a ball and chain I have to base my activities around. 

I have tried a few games as her and I just can't get into it, though maybe I'm just missing something obvious. She does have a few potential synergies with other characters if they could just tweak her a little bit.

15 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This.

The only thing that felt hurtful to me when running out of gold was not being able to make new lifegiving amulets. To fix that I briefly switched to Wigfrid through the portal, traded all the million trinkets I had, plus 3 stacks of spoiling eggs I had in a chest, and got enough gold for a couple of years, plus a mountain of Wig helmets, so I don't have to farm pigs during full moons anymore.

I suppose its problematic that her gameplay is very different and the rewards are quite different too, I can totally understand that she may not be for everyone.

Portal switching is the dumbest feature in this game. And i refuse to ever use it. 

3 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I still think merm king giving flint instead of gold would be great, makes florts more accessible and mimics the infinite gold axes from pk.

Actually he could have just worked like a better birdcage and give 2-3 seeds instead of bird's 1-2 thus making farming a viable option from everybody, make wurt go really well with warly for his pepper/onion/garlic needs and her dragonfruits. 

And no offense m8 but who uses flint after day 1

23 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This.

Nightmare amulets are 6 gold and you need those

You can farm scales by stunning Dragonfly with her merm army but guess what, them chests cost 10gold each. 

2 minutes ago, LaurelWreaths said:

And no offense m8 but who uses flint after day 1

Wurt needs them to make the florts, they require spears. I use flint tools as Wurt later as well, since all it takes is one use and the Merms keep working.

7 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I still think merm king giving flint instead of gold would be great, makes florts more accessible and mimics the infinite gold axes from pk.

Flint is very plentiful in the game though, petrification makes it a pest.

5 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Wurt needs them to make the florts, they require spears. I use flint tools as Wurt later as well, since all it takes is one use and the Merms keep working.

Oh right. I forgot. I mean at this point they might as well add Thulecite and Iridiscent gems to those Flort recipes and call it a day. Meanwhile it costs 3 Twigs 3 Stone 2 Rope to make 12 Rabbit Hutches

8 minutes ago, LaurelWreaths said:

Nightmare amulets are 6 gold and you need those

You can farm scales by stunning Dragonfly with her merm army but guess what, them chests cost 10gold each. 

Before the current bug (which lets her trade with PK) the only way she could get gold efficiently is through switching characters in the portal, or playing with other people. And since I play alone, I had no other choice but to switch briefly. I dislike the switching characters mechanic too, but I did that once, stayed as wigfrid I think 3 or 4 days, and I'ts been 2 ingame years since that and I still have a couple of chests full of gold and 30+ helmets so it was worth it I guess.

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Before the current bug (which lets her trade with PK) the only way she could get gold efficiently is through switching characters in the portal, or playing with other people. And since I play alone, I had no other choice but to switch briefly. I dislike the switching characters mechanic too, but I did that once, stayed as wigfrid I think 3 or 4 days, and I'ts been 2 ingame years since that and I still have a couple of chests full of gold and 30+ helmets so it was worth it I guess.

Oh she's bugged now? Btw how did they fix the merm king/cave problem. If she's on full life and goes into caves for some bulbs she gets out with -100 hp?

8 minutes ago, LaurelWreaths said:

Oh she's bugged now? Btw how did they fix the merm king/cave problem. If she's on full life and goes into caves for some bulbs she gets out with -100 hp?

Yeah they added a new patch on PC to play the minigame of the year of the pig king, and since that involves trading with the Pig King, she now can trade with him as any other character. We're not sure if its intended or a bug, looks like a bug though.

The merm king issue with the stats was fixed in a percentage based system. If Merm King is present in one shard and not in the other, when you move between shards you get the same % of stats you had. EG: If you had 50% sanity where pig king exists, you will get 50% sanity where he doesn't, whatever number that is.

You don't really lose or gain points by walking in or out of caves, but it can be used for some things like, getting to 100% stats in a shard where the king is not alive is easier than on a shard where he is not alive, so lets say you have a king in the surface, and not in the caves, you could heal for less healing salves to 150 hp in the caves, then return to the surface and have full boosted hp, for example. 

27 minutes ago, LaurelWreaths said:

Actually he could have just worked like a better birdcage and give 2-3 seeds instead of bird's 1-2 thus making farming a viable option from everybody, make wurt go really well with warly for his pepper/onion/garlic needs and her dragonfruits. 

And no offense m8 but who uses flint after 

Seeds rain from the sky, I want less, not more

and without renewable pk gold, I’ll use whatever is handy, merms don’t chop if you aren’t chopping too, and I love making planters

24 minutes ago, LaurelWreaths said:

I obviously was referring to crop specific seeds. 

Agreed. I was actually quite excited when I learned MK dropped specific seeds. Finally the (indirect) buff to farms that was needed. No longer would you have to sacrifice 2/3rds of your farm food just to keep the same crop going. 

And then I saw the drop rates..... so close yet so far ;-;

Edit:this is more a nitpick towards farms and less about Wurt so I guess... ignore my slightly off topic rant

Archived