Skittersquid Fishing

At the moment it's impossible to catch the new ocean animal called the Skittersquid. I really love the art of these guys, they are cute and adorable. Klei please add some kind of way to catch these little abominations and be able to put them in the Fish Scale-o-Matic for decorations around bases and such.

You could make it so you can lure Skittersquids with a sea fishing rod if you put big fish meat on it or you could catch it with a new item called the fishing net that has been in the files for a while now.

Wilson is shown to caught a Skittersquid on his fishing rod in the game menu so why cant you in game.
You could make it so if a Skittersquid is in a fish tank, it can glow during dusk and night in a small radius around it, plus it could act like a bird cage of sorts and you can feed the Squid various fish morsels for trinkets, squid eggs, or more!

Just now, -Variant said:

It was planned.

They've got the animations for it already, it just went unused or was possibly scrapped.

They've got all the required fishing animations, but are finished for the most part.

Can you send me the art and animations for it? i would love to see them.

You can kind of catch the skittersquids. They'll get caught on your hook if they eat a fish you're catching. Though if you somehow successfully fish it out after that (I managed to do so on a test world by having the squid eat the fish very close to my boat) this happens:
image.png.3995b40804a915d61f1dd72b65428f2f.png

Not sure if I can report this as a bug. I only managed to do it in a test world. I don't really know how likely it is to get squids to spawn while you're already trying to catch a fish. If they spawn while you're not trying to catch one, you probably won't be able to try because the squids will scare all the fish from getting hooked onto your rod.

On 11/19/2019 at 3:05 PM, Zeklo said:

I'd love to have more complex "big" fish fishing mechanics. It'd need to be... mechanically sound.
Otherwise there wouldn't be much reason to combat them.

or just replace dst fishing mechanics with stardews ;)

13 hours ago, Mime said:

or just replace dst fishing mechanics with stardews ;)

Yep, great idea (like the "spinning around players" from LoL): let's just copy things from other games to DST. And... make it better?! :encouragement:

(the cold true, sadly, being this tactic was/is in many-many historical and present-day cases a valid "recipe for success"; yet still...)

3 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Wasn’t stardew’s fishing considered garbage?

i thought it was p good? huh.

4 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Yep, great idea (like the "spinning around players" from LoL): let's just copy things from other games to DST. And... make it better?! :encouragement:

(the cold true, sadly, being this tactic was/is in many-many historical and present-day cases a valid "recipe for success"; yet still...)

ok ok, to be fair, its more of a comparison then anything, one of the more frequent complaints i hear nowadays is that collecting materials is really boring y'know? even i cant disagree with that. so i was thinking about how hamlet has you use the machete to break and collect grass, then i went on to think about how you would make more efficient for a character like woodie... mostly working backwards to LOL. The stardew thing was more of a joke though.   

- edit: i should note though, the idea of coming up with something on your own is near impossible, from a realistic standpoint, people subconsciously take and morph material that they see everyday, i dont have the evidance but i can look for and send you some if you really want it, in other words, just take a look at what dont starve once was, a cast away 'simulator'. 

1 hour ago, Mime said:

i thought it was p good? huh.

It’s good if you want people to fail.

Introducing RPG mechanics to make certain fish impossible to catch, never communicating that to players, and the bizarre controls they never bother explaining made it the worst part of the game and the worst fishing I can remember.

Archived