2 questions: Water Sieve/Desalinator and Pipe Sensors

At work so I can't try this out myself until tonight but just checking if a yone knows off the top of their head. 

Water Sieve/Desalinator: We know that the Water Sieve flat out ignores normal water when it passes through. Does it also ignore salt water and brine or do those cause wrong element damage? By extension, does the Desalinator take damage from normal or polluted water? 

Pipe sensors: Do they maintain a steady enough green/on signal when enough consecutive packets passing the sensor's test pass through to allow us to use filter gates to count the number of packets that pass through? 

Welp, since no one knew the answers, here's what I found out now that I'm home and can test it. (One of my pet peeves on the internet is when someone asks a question, replies to themselves, "Never mind, figured it out" and doesn't actually provide the answer.)

Water Sieve/Desalinator: All 4 types of water can pass through both the Water Sieve and Desalinator without damaging the machine. So, as long as you keep non-water liquids (petroleum, crude oil, naphtha, viscogel, etc) out of the system, you don't have to sort your water before running it through a combined Water Sieve/Desalinator.

Pipe Sensors: Yes. They do keep a steady green signal to allow a Filter to "charge".  Why is this useful? Not sure. :D  I had a thought to use it to send out pulses of packets (You know, 5 packets with a 7 packet gap repeating and things like that) but realized that a simple automation timer would do a better job instead of trying to trigger it with a pipe sensor. Ah well.

4 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Water Sieve/Desalinator: All 4 types of water can pass through both the Water Sieve and Desalinator without damaging the machine. So, as long as you keep non-water liquids (petroleum, crude oil, naphtha, viscogel, etc) out of the system, you don't have to sort your water before running it through a combined Water Sieve/Desalinator.

Can still help conserve energy. I'm pretty sure that sieve consumes full power when teleporting clean water packets.

16 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Can still help conserve energy. I'm pretty sure that sieve consumes full power when teleporting clean water packets.

I think this is wrong at least for sieves. The wiki says so and they don‘t show an animation when passing through pure water. Never bothered to verify it though.

Pipe sensors: Do they maintain a steady enough green/on signal when enough consecutive packets passing the sensor's test pass through to allow us to use filter gates to count the number of packets that pass through? 

Yes. The combination pipe sensor liquid/gas shutoff for filtering elements is working only if is flow of liquids/gas. If the packets stop the setup goes terrible wrong. I learn it on my own when i separate petroleum from water, and when hydrogen room reached 20 kg / tile. To prevent this put some failsafe (gas or liquid reservoir after the pipe to get some time for intervention. But as always i prefer systems go it and forget about it.

you have to make a loop with the sensors, and give the priority to the loop over the inlet pipe with bridges

i have a gas filter in my base with 7 sensors(oxygen, p.oxygen, co2, natural gas, hydrogen, chlorine and sour gas) working for 1000 cicles without any trouble, each gas goes to the destination

image.png.66937b128753a35d4876bb198c0f3695.png

On 10/6/2019 at 10:29 PM, Coolthulhu said:

No, the sieve and desalianator consume a power only once they have enough of the right water to do a job. For sieves, this is 5 kg of polluted water. While it doesn't have 5 kg of polluted water it sits idle waiting, and all other water passes through without cost.

In short, the power cost for these devices is for performing their jobs, not pumping liquids out.

1 hour ago, Chthonicone said:

all other water passes through without cost.

It must have changed then. I'm sure at one point it did cost power to teleport the packets through sieve. The sieve did a janky animation when pumped an uninterrupted flow of clean water and wires showed full consumption.

2 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

It must have changed then. I'm sure at one point it did cost power to teleport the packets through sieve. The sieve did a janky animation when pumped an uninterrupted flow of clean water and wires showed full consumption.

I still plan on double checking this next time I play. Real life has been busy the last few days. 

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

I seem to recall this animation, but I haven't seen that since release. I don't know if it actually fluctuated power before either, but I know that it used to use power when you trickled fluid into it, so some players would try to ensure that it always got at least 5 kg each packet. It no longer does that, instead waiting till it has a full job before operation.

15 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

I still plan on double checking this next time I play. Real life has been busy the last few days. 

Just finished checking this.  Neither the Water Sieve nor the Desalinator use electricity when they "ignore" the types of water they do not process.

Bonus: They also pass the "wrong" waters through at the full 10kg packets instead of the 5kg packets that they pass when processing the correct waters.

Archived