Food shortage and rotting food

I just lost a colony due to starvation while my dupes let food rot.   I'd like to know which settings will prevent this.

The situation was with 8 dupes, 8.5kcal of food, and the "Food Shortage" alert.  In order to wait until my first harvest, I slaughtered 3 hatches, made bbq, and also made 3 omelettes.  I now had 24kcal of food left.  I also queued up some harvest of buried muckroot.

Some days later, 1 bbq goes rotten.  I look in the ration box, and I see 3.6kg of omelettes at 1%.  The dupes never ate them, they prioritized digging up and eating muckroot, which doesn't go bad.  Food allowances were set to everyone can eat everything since this was day 22.

Am I really supposed to micromanage food so that dupes will eat the food that's about to spoil?  (How does one even do that?)  Do I count out how many calories of omelettes I have, then disallow everything but omelettes to that many dupes, to force them to eat it?  I've had spoiled food due to odd food permissions in the past, but only when I have too much food, never too little.

In general you normally only have one duplicant eating omelette (if any). They tend to eat the lowest quality food available, then look at spoilage second, I was frustrated a bit by this too until i realised how easy it is to prevent spoilage.

ONINeverSpoil.png

yep, being surrounded by carbon prevents all spoilage. duplicants breath, carbon travels down, so this naturally occurs.

2 minutes ago, lonelysquirrel said:

I would have done the carbon atmosphere trick if I knew it was needed! With less than a day of food left, I assumed that any food I cooked wouldn't need preservation.

I get it, but regardless, even if you don't use carbon, i used a fridge in my first game, which isn't very exploity at all, and 120W isn't that expensive to maintain.

And yeah, remember that duplicant's will prioritise low quality food, then look at spoilage second, and it's for a reason. if you want to avoid it, have only an appropriate amount of people eat omelette and meat. When I have high calories, I turn off muckroot and use it as emergency food (because it doesn't spoil)

On 10/6/2019 at 10:58 AM, lonelysquirrel said:

I would have done the carbon atmosphere trick if I knew it was needed! With less than a day of food left, I assumed that any food I cooked wouldn't need preservation.

A very quick fix is to build a fridge.  No waiting for CO2.

Archived