[Poll] Woodie: The "Lumberjack"?

What are your thoughts about Woodie and Lucy?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Does Woodie still deserve to be called 'The Lumberjack'?

• Yes.
    • No, he should rather be called 'The Canadian'.
    • No, he should get another Nickname.
  2. 2. Should Woodie still have access to Lucy?

• Yes.
    • No, Lucy outscales his Beaver transformation.
    • No, Woodie does not have any use for his chopped Logs anymore.
    • No.

I'm happy to see that Woodie finally got his deserved update. But if you look closely, you'll see that the developers missed an important feature, which gave Woodie his name and his nickname:

• What kind of use do Logs have now for Woodie?

Back in DS, Woodie had a nice use for the Logs he chopped. His penalty was that he literally died every full moon but got resurrected right after his death. But between death and resurrection he gained special powers which made him way stronger and they shouldn't be wasted at all. Woodie required Logs to keep his Werebeaver form as long as possible.

After his update in DST, Logs were way less necessary but still required to prevent an unintended transformation into a Werebeaver. Turning into a Werebeaver didn't hurt him that much, but he lost alot of Sanity during that procedure. But he didn't require Logs to keep his Werebeaver form as long as possible, gnawing anything did reset his Werebeaver timer.

Now after his rework, Woodie needs only 2 tiny Logs to craft a certain Kitschy Idol. The need of Logs has been reduced from >20 to 2 and the 2 Logs can be gathered easily by any axe ingame.

Winona didn't have enough uses for her Trusty Tape, so her Tape has been added to each of her recipes.
Willow did keep her ability to use her lighter for cooking food, but besides that she also regained her fire immunity which allowed her to stay near burning objects almost forever.
Wormwood has the ability to craft Living Logs at the cost of health, and similar to Winona and her Trusty Tape, he requires Living Logs to make his Bramble Husk and the Bramble Traps.

And Woodie: Woodie has access to Lucy, can chop trees about 4 times as fast as other characters, and he has actually not even a single special use for Logs anymore. Building ships is outscaled by his Goose Transformation, and Log Suits are mostly outscaled by his Moose Transformation.

But another important thing is that his Beaver Transformation is mostly outscaled by his axe Lucy, which chops about as fast as the Beaver but without a health, hunger, and sanity penalty. Where's the need for that transformation if he has his axe?

What are your thoughts about Woodie and Lucy? Does Woodie still deserve to be called 'The Lumberjack' and to have access to Lucy or should Lucy be removed from the game?

I would consider beaver to be better than lucy tbh. You see.... Beaver takes 4 gnaws to take down a tier 3 tree while lucy takes 8 swings. Beaver now lasts about half a day (which is way longer than it used to be), and now takes MUCH less sanity. Yes, you may be set to 0 hunger and lose 20 hp and some sanity, but if you eat the idol on low hunger the first is nullified, the second can be repaired by 3 butterflies, and the third is almost nothing at all. Not only that, but beaver can now gnaw up stumps in 2 gnaws instead of 3. Also, they don't fill his beaverness meter. The problem from before was that doing a gnaw decreases the time you have as beaver, since it took three gnaws to dig up stumps you were wasting valuable gnaws you could be spending on trees. Now beaver time is in abundance and this previous doesn't really matter anymore. As well, you have night vision and super weather resistance, right now beaver is a better lumberjack than he ever was.

And the cherry on top, beaver is better than Woodie at getting wood because beaver gets 0 treeguards no matter the stage of the game! That's insane!

So it goes like this, if you want to do SOME chopping or get treeguards to spawn, use lucy; if you want a ridiculous amount of logs and have a dense forest or tree farm nearby, then use beaver.

I do think Lucy and Werebeaver are redundant, they both have the same purpose, to chop trees. But it has always been like that since release.

If I were to choose, I'd remove Woodie's ability to chop faster, but Lucy can stay as a permanent axe.

Hes balanced right now, and it the perfect spot, since the were forms have an use now with this numbers, even when reaching late game and falling off hard, they have specific uses and purposes in multiple scenarios, so the skill cap obviously went up. it's mostly you using the best he can offer. If anything moose benefits a lot with others characters in a team environment. now you dont waste so much logs in yourself so keeping the lumberjack title makes sense, hes the best lumberjack than he ever was right now. 

Goose: Lunar island rush ( Comparable to Dark sword dmg ), Fast rush scouting, Ruins Scouting ( needs food preparation and isn't better than wx ) but you see, it's the new flexibility
 Beaver: Multi tools, good early to mid and late game but if u aim for a mega base , ignoring tree guards its very good
Moose: The duration just made everything better, u can deal easily with hordes of small enemies and some seasonal bosses that aren't that strong like antlion , bees, beefalos, koelephants, hounds, splumonkeys , its a free thulecite/marble armor with no heal drawback so careful, u can deal easily with bees for beequeen in a team situation , it's also a hambat dmg. 

Also all forms share nightvision , you dont drop the backpack anymore, you still drop equipment if you equip those ( like head/weapon/suits /amulets ) you still have the previous beard perks and allies thing. you drown if you don't pay attention in goose form.

Maybe i missed some things, but his new druid theme make him a great early meta pick right now and can contribute a lot more than before. so yeah no longer a meme in terms of gameplay. but jesus walking meme and dances are god send. ( do not forget he also does a great justice representing the canadian animals )

If you want to be an early game flexible character, woodie is the way to go ( he's not that much of newbie friendly either , you need to know how to handle and when to do it in the right situation ) , and then you switch in the portal to a better specialized character for the task you want, like faster killing ( wolfgang ), etc

So for your point of Klei missing the core of Woodie, im sadly have to say.. you are wrong. He's better than before and they did a GREAT job. 

2 hours ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

I would consider beaver to be better than lucy tbh. You see.... Beaver takes 4 gnaws to take down a tier 3 tree while lucy takes 8 swings. Beaver now lasts about half a day (which is way longer than it used to be), and now takes MUCH less sanity. Yes, you may be set to 0 hunger and lose 20 hp and some sanity, but if you eat the idol on low hunger the first is nullified, the second can be repaired by 3 butterflies, and the third is almost nothing at all. Not only that, but beaver can now gnaw up stumps in 2 gnaws instead of 3. Also, they don't fill his beaverness meter. The problem from before was that doing a gnaw decreases the time you have as beaver, since it took three gnaws to dig up stumps you were wasting valuable gnaws you could be spending on trees. Now beaver time is in abundance and this previous doesn't really matter anymore. As well, you have night vision and super weather resistance, right now beaver is a better lumberjack than he ever was.

And the cherry on top, beaver is better than Woodie at getting wood because beaver gets 0 treeguards no matter the stage of the game! That's insane!

So it goes like this, if you want to do SOME chopping or get treeguards to spawn, use lucy; if you want a ridiculous amount of logs and have a dense forest or tree farm nearby, then use beaver.

Only gripe about your comment that i have is that he gets no treeguards when in beaver form, more often then not you want  treeguards for living logs, i am always in need of more, so this isn't good. Using lucy to take down trees is more valuable as from what i've read on his refresh, there's 50% higher chance of treeguards spawning  compared to other characters.

2 minutes ago, ShyRo-Zyerenzy said:

Goose: Lunar island rush ( Comparable to Dark sword dmg ), Fast rush scouting, Ruins Scouting ( needs food preparation and isn't better than wx ) but you see, it's the new flexibility

He is not better then WX for rushing ruins but overall he is much better for starting on a new world then any other character.

Moose form is great, nullifies the issue with splunk monkies that you may encounter in caves, you'll not get chased during the whole nightmare phase if you can just kill them and get free nightmare fuel and bananas.

Moose can be said to be great for bee queen if you have friends to stun lock the queen, you'll clear small bees over and over and cause the queen to be in  a state where she doesn't deal damage to other players but summons bees.

Goose is great for scouting and makes boats obsolete i'd say.

Plus don't forget the Beaver form, can help with cutting trees, its great for gathering them for chests and big base build.

I think i'll mostly be starting with Woodie now and just change with celestial portal to my main, Wickerbottom. Woodie is so versatile and really fits the style of us Wickerbottom players and really great for establishing the early to mid game, he falls off in late apart from bee queen if you want to consider that late game.

So .. do you realize you basically said everything i already said?
Also how is Human and Beaver form not good for controlling when to spawn Treeguards? ITS ******* GREAT .  I do not understand the quote on the other person, kinda contradict yourself when you agree with me again that is good late game when you swim in living logs.

Obviously he isn't better than WX at clearing it i basically said that . I said SCOUTING, but he still can perform it faster assuming you only want to scout it quickly with less preparation , not that he can't clean it ? he CAN , but its the flexibility he has now. Hes jack of all trades with an early game focus.

I'd hate to have Woodie's human form chopping speed taken. It's quite satisfying, really. Maybe that's because tree chopping has always felt monotonous to me on other characters. And besides that, I do find there's balance between human form Woodie being able to summon more tree guards, if you need living logs, and the Beav being able to demolish a forest more quickly without interruption for just wood. I mean, even on a Wendy solo world I have 4 stacks of living logs. They aren't that hard to get. All these things make him a pretty good lumberjack in the constant.

I'll agree he might be lacking a hard downside, but he seems to have soft ones everywhere. He doesn't excel exponentially in any field, rather he's a jack of all trades. He can't use his inventory while in any form either. He's at 0 hunger upon transforming back which means he needs to eat, or even added healing items if it stays at 0 too long. This also means he can't just instantly transform back to a were state.

I'd say he's fine as is, but I'll let the Woodie mains duke it out. I'll be fussing enough if they pull my poor Wendy apart. 

Archived