Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Okay so we know that every month or so over the course of 2019/2020 that Klei plans to rework all the characters in Don’t Starve Together editing their abilities and hopefully make them more fun to play as with cool new features..

so let’s just dive right into my favorite to play as- Wendy! On the selection screen for Wendy it stays that she isn’t afraid of the dark.. but in game this actually isn’t true.. Wendy dies in the dark just like everyone else!

so how can we make Wendy more fun? Well for starters- her sisters a ghost that can be summoned, so in that theory shouldn’t Wendy be able to Befriend all ghosts (like Webber can with Spiders?) This would allow Wendy to dig up loot from graves and instead of having ghosts pop out angry wanting to chase her around and kill her, they will instead act similar to Webber’s spiders following her around.

Wendy could also have the option to place flowers onto their graves to mourn the dead, which would raise her Sanity level slightly.

But the absolute BEST use for Wendy that I could come up with is Abigail and well other ghosts.. but Abigail glows in the dark- So why can’t Wendy use her as a personal lantern that never runs out? Just have Abigail following over the top of Wendy when it goes completely dark. 

As with all other game features- something this Overpowered of course needs to be balanced.. so maybe increasing the time it takes before Abigail can be summoned again would work? 

I just find a little odd that on her character selection screen it states that she isn’t afraid of the dark but yet she dies in it just like everyone else..

what would your ideas be for a Wendy Rework?

I do agree with a LOT of your suggestions, i really love the whole ghost thing, the only problem is when a grave is dug up you can't use it again.
so i came with a idea that would help make graves renewable and make Wendy tied to it.

Wendy's new perk:
Mourns the dead

-she can make new exclusive craftable called the Mourning Flower

-Mourning Flower is crafted with 6 petals and 1 nightmare fuel, 

-it can be used on already dug up graves and gives 10 sanity doing so

-when used on a grave it will do a little animation of a ghost going in the grave and the grave reburies itself with a flower laying on top of it

-on a full moon the grave will revert to its buried state on which a player can dig it up again

Ghosts

-on using the Mourning Flower Wendy will have a ghost follower and the ghost will be a weaker Abigail and is passive to other players

-ghosts will make Wendy's sanity drain when you have above 2

-Wendy can of course get rid of a ghost by hovering over one and performing the action "release soul"

-ghosts will only last for 2 and half days

This is just my idea on a new ability Wendy can have, please reply and give your ideas!
(im not touching on Abigail since its a new bag of worms)

I personally don't feel like Wendy needs the negative damage multiplier, because aside from small mobs, Abigail is not really useful unfortunately and even with mods she still gets herself killed for no reason. She should not engage with anything unless Wendy herself attacks it or it locks its attack onto Wendy. Besides that, Wendy has no real perks. That's the biggest change I'd like to see in a (hopefully soon) Wendy refresh. Aside from that, I think Wendy is fine but she could do with a few more unique characteristics for sure.

Wortox has and soon even Woodie will have a way of crossing small gaps in between land and water without actually needing a boat.. (wortox can teleport & Woodies goose form will “soon” be able to fly over water)

if your on PC he already does I think.. but us console players gonna be waiting a little bit longer for that patch.

This ain’t a post about console vs pc- however I will state that console players don’t have & cant use mods..

so we have to wait lengthy periods of time for Klei to update the game for us

on their end, I imagine they could also probably update Winona so she can use her Catapult to fling herself and her teammates across small bodies of water.. but what about Wendy? Perhaps she could become “possessed” by her sisters ghost to temporarily levitate over these small gaps? 

Then again that sounds pretty dang stupid, so maybe it’s best that Wortox & Woodie be the only ones with abilities to jump between small gaps of land crossing over water.

Necromantic powers such as using telltale hearts to raise the skeletons of befallen players and failed survivors and/or craft them with bones and nightmare fuel, to help you fight, insta aggro the hounds and further justify the innate damage penalty.

Although it may be a bit excessive and out of place, not sure.

Thing about Wendy is that there's a very thin line between her current form and her becoming very overpowered with her rework.

A lot of the suggestions I'm reading here would need a significant 'negative' accompanied with it to stop her from being the unchallenged God of the Underworld.

That being said, she definitely needs a little more than just being an efficient fighter of trash mobs. I wouldn't mind some sort of item you could use to make Abigail stop being an idiot and respawn at Wendy on use, and/or a consumable you could use to boost her attack and hp for a while.

21 minutes ago, Broodalize said:

Thing about Wendy is that there's a very thin line between her current form and her becoming very overpowered with her rework.

A lot of the suggestions I'm reading here would need a significant 'negative' accompanied with it to stop her from being the unchallenged God of the Underworld.

That being said, she definitely needs a little more than just being an efficient fighter of trash mobs. I wouldn't mind some sort of item you could use to make Abigail stop being an idiot and respawn at Wendy on use, and/or a consumable you could use to boost her attack and hp for a while.

I’m not going to agree with this one tiny bit, Wendy is my main but other characters have recently seen new reworks that make them overpowered God’s, you say Wendy can kill lots of mobs with Abigail but.. so can Willow now thanks to Bernie.

the problem is THATS ALL that Wendy can do, Willow also spawns with her own personal Lighter, can drop food on the ground and cook it with her lighter without actually needing a campfire, AND to top all that off she can set fire to an entire forest and run through it being completely immune to fire damage killing everything in a blazing fire that Smokey the Bear would not be very proud of.

Come on man, Wendy needs some OP added for her too. But most importantly I want the characters to each have enough unique traits to them that playing as each one feels unique and rewarding to itself..

Woodies new Were-Goose form that can fly over water is a game changer for him.

Wormwood was OP already at launch/ being able to create traps, grow food plants, etc..

And until Woodies Were-Goose, Wortox was the only character in the game that could travel acrossed plots of land that are only separated by a tiny stream (yes you could in theory build a boat and use it as a platform for the other players but only if the gap between the islands was big enough to place a boat.)

DST is a survival game but in reality.. if I saw something on the other side of a river I wanted bad enough and I had a lot of wood in my possession I would build a wooden plank platform to walk crossed and get it. But from a gameplay perspective this would probably make the game way too easy.

anyway back onto the topic of Wendy.. she needs some cool new features to put her more inline with Willow, Woodie & Wormwood.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Anyway back onto the topic of Wendy.. she needs some cool new features to put her more inline with Willow, Woodie & Wormwood.

The thing I think people are failing to recognize is how much Wendy already compliments a lot of these new characters. Woody, wortox, wormwood all like the extra monster meat (not to mention tents) she can provide with her ability to mow down spiders.

She's already very good at a lot of things, I just don't know that they scale all that well late game, really (she is quite terrible underground to be honest). I'm just saying, she needs something different as well, I just think she also needs a negative if it's going to be a huge game changer.

There's no way she would be OP just by simply making Abigail smarter and removing her negative damage modifier (at the very least make it so she can kill stuff instantly with the boomarang. It doesn't make any sense to "not throw it as hard"). She would then just be Wilson with a ghost helper. She would still not be unique without any other perks.

On ‎2019‎-‎09‎-‎14 at 4:01 PM, Mike23Ua said:

what would your ideas be for a Wendy Rework?

My idea about Wendy rework:

•Every negative aura is still decreased for Wendy by 25 %Wendy deals 85% damage

•Wendy Still can summon Abigail by „bloody sacrifice” and 50 sanity points

•Abigail’s health increased from 600 HP to 750 HP and her passive health regeneration from 1 HP to 2 HP per second

•Abigail doesn’t attack any creatures around her (both aggressive, neutral and passive) as long as they don’t hurt Wendy, attack Abigail or Wendy don’t attack them

•Wendy can resurrect any dead player without any items, at a cost of 50 sanity points (to make it Wendy need to have at least 51 sanity points)

•When Wendy is protected by Abigail any ghost can’t attack her and after dug graves ghosts don't spawn.

•During full moon Abigail’s AoE attack has much bigger range

•During new moon Abigail does not have AoE and she can only attack one target at a time

•Every sanity bonuses give Wendy only 50% of original amount but if Abigail is present at Wendy the bonuses decreased to 25%. This mechanics pertain only to instant bonuses e.g. from food, resurrecting other players by Telltale Heart or picking flowers. Positive sanity auras np. equipped Garland, Tam o’ Shanter, Top Hat, Glommer’s aura etc. remain unchanged

•Wendy can craft two new items available in Magic Tab:

Shadow Orb:  Nightmare Fuel X4 + Purple gem

This is an armour for Abigail. Wendy has to give shadow orb to ghost. The armour absorbs 60% damage and have 450 durability points.

Melancholic bouquet:  Papyrus + Petals x3 + 15 sanity points

This is new resurrection item. Every character can resurrect ghost using it but players don’t get sanity poits. Bouquet spoils 6 days but it can be placed in ice box.

•When Abigail dies Wendy loses 15 sanity points

On 9/16/2019 at 8:57 PM, Mighty Jetters said:

She would then just be Wilson with a ghost helper. She would still not be unique without any other perks.

But what you're really describing is 'just Wilson with a 600 hp summon which stunlocks and kills trash mobs in droves'. Deleting her negatives definitely isn't the approach here.

I’m not concerned about WILSON- you CAN NOT compare a Rework Idea to a Character who has yet to receive a rework themselves.

I am basing all of my ideas and suggestions ENTIRELY off the 5 Characters who have ALREADY seen a Rework (Winona, Wormwood, Willow, Warly & Woodie)

Everyone else- will probably be getting just as Drastic of changes and new gameplay Elements to make them just as fun and unique to play with as the ones I just mentioned..

and in that regard- Wendy needs some cool new stuff, so let’s please not turn this into a “Let’s Nerf Wendy” Thread, because you have absolutely NO IDEA how much the characters your currently trying to compare her to are subject to changing themselves.

Thank You.

On 9/21/2019 at 3:24 AM, Broodalize said:

But what you're really describing is 'just Wilson with a 600 hp summon which stunlocks and kills trash mobs in droves'. Deleting her negatives definitely isn't the approach here.

I did not say "delete her negatives", just make her viable in combat without blowdarts. I also described how Abigail is not actually as helpful as she sounds on paper so Wendy herself should not suffer from lack of combat capability because her sister suicides constantly. Like, as I said, either make Abigail better or remove the damage modifier. She won't be Wolfgang or Wigfrid but she won't just be an improved Wes, either. She's not really balanced at the moment is the point. Just let her use boomerangs and stuff at max damage, please. She cannot effectively farm birds and stuff.

^ Thank you Mike23Ua. Wendy does NOT need nerfing in the slightest.

Bernie is inferior to Abigail in most respects (as he should be--Willow's downsides are not as severe as Wendy's, so Wendy's pet ought to be stronger). Willow having Bernie now is not an adequate justification for Wendy buffs IMHO.

1: Damage. Bernie usually has worse DPS than Abigail. His attacks are single-target and very slow (50 damage, attack period 2, for 25 DPS). Abigail's attacks are AOE and pretty fast for a mob (10-40 damage, attack period 1, for 10-40 DPS). Abigail will always have better DPS than Bernie at night and in the caves, and she will usually have better DPS than Bernie on the surface during morning and dusk due to her AOE (e.g. she does at least 30 DPS in the morning, at her weakest, when fighting at least 3 enemies, to Bernie's 25; and she does at least 40 DPS during dusk when fighting at least 2 enemies). Additionally, since Willow must be insane to use Bernie, he will lose further DPS against his intended targets because he will get distracted by nightmares.

2: Survivability. Bernie cannot self-heal, and the HP that he has, he will lose much faster than Abigail (because he draws attacks from nightmares and is unable to stunlock multiple attackers like Abigail can). This makes Abigail slightly tankier than Bernie in most situations, even though she has only 30% of his maximum HP. Additionally, if Abigail is banished, it costs nothing summon her back (you can cycle 2 flowers' cooldowns to keep her around near-permanently). When Bernie is slain, he costs you a sewing kit use; this isn't a huge deal after you've made an automated silk farm, but it's annoying and time-consuming before that point.

3: Mobility. Bernie's pathing can be confused or restricted by walls/rivers/structures/etc., Abigail's cannot. Bernie also isn't a "true" Follower mob like Abigail / Chester / Glommer / Maxwell's shadows / befriended Pigs. He won't stick with Willow when she hops through wormholes, Telelocates herself, or uses the Lazy Deserter.

The fact that Bernie can fight nightmares at all is one advantage over Abigail, but he's a much less efficient nightmare fuel farmer than people think due to his low DPS and consumption of sewing kits. Conventional kiting and killing of nightmares is faster, and farming splumonkeys is faster still. He does provide a convenient way to lessen the risks of insanity for new players while they learn to kite, though.

I’m reviving the dead with this thread, because recently I have discovered that eating Glowberries & Glow-bulbs will make your character glow for a short time.. which seems like an EXCELLENT fuel source Wendy could store in Abigails ghost to make her glow brighter..

Wendy needs to Defiantly be able to use Abigails ghost as her own personal lantern (you can do this in game using other players ghosts.. so why not Abigail??) However.. the more Glowberries you feed to Abigail the brighter she should be able to light up covering a larger Aurora of light.