Bury stuff under natural tile question

Hello,

Piece of puzzle:

At some point in game everyone has a lot of cr..stuff.

It is possible to make natural tiles using temperature (afaik high temp change dirt to tile)

When natural tile appear everything else that was on that tile will show as "buried object"

Question:

Did anyone check difference of performance if for example bury 2000t of materials under natural tiles as the way to "hide" them?

Yes, it was something I tinkered with a while back to preserve eggs indefinitely (a Meximus suggestion). I then went on to store all of my waste/useless/excess outputs within solid tiles.

Sadly it makes bugger all difference, and you'll probably cause more lag setting up the infrastructure to physically do it.

If you want to have a tinker yourself, fertilizer would be my material of choice - pipe some hot liquid behind a liquid filled tile and drop in some fertilizer, or drop some molten glass on it as others are doing.

I use this method : 

There's a cheeky. Even downright cheaty way to make natural tiles though

1) Make a full U of normal tiles. They can be natural tiles themselves as well, doesn't matter just not doors.

2) Make a mechanical airlock.

3) Deconstruct the mechanical airlock.

4) You got a 200kg natural metal ore tile.

image.thumb.png.e0f0028c494604b73415b3e59e8d38d4.png

Note. The door must be deconstructed by a dupe otherwise the trick doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

There's a cheeky. Even downright cheaty way to make natural tiles though

1) Make a full U of normal tiles. They can be natural tiles themselves as well, doesn't matter just not doors.

2) Make a mechanical airlock.

3) Deconstruct the mechanical airlock.

4) You got a 200kg natural metal ore tile.

image.thumb.png.e0f0028c494604b73415b3e59e8d38d4.png

Note. The door must be deconstructed by a dupe otherwise the trick doesn't work.

Cool, but you can't bury things in that.

16 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Technically you probably can, you would just need to go through the extra effort of getting items stuck in the closed door. When it forms the tile it may bury the items. I haven't tested that, however.

You can boil polluted water into dirt, and further into sand. I've found dropping about 50kgs of polluted water into a gold volcano tends to result in a few sand tiles. Very small weight to them after all the conversion, but there you have it. 

I would guess sand is easier to work with because you don't need the tiles to spawn on top of the objects you want to bury. You can always deconstruct the tile they're sitting on and dump the sand on top of objects you want buried. 

4 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Sadly not, the door trick isn't what you need for this.

Stick to hot liquid either dripped onto a small amount of algae/fertilizer, or piped through a liquid bath.

It's not exactly hard, just time consuming.

You could also use phosphorite.  Though you have to heat it to around 243 C the first time, after that it becomes phosphorus, which melts at around 40 C.  That means you can remelt and resolidify it very easily for quick access to the materials.  Though you do have to be a bit careful of the ~280 C boiling temp.

It's a moot point as I said earlier in the first reply, it makes no difference, I've tested it already. The only performance change is to potentially cause more of a negative performance hit working on the build to make it happen :D 

38 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

The only performance change is to potentially cause more of a negative performance hit working on the build to make it happen

I didn't think it would take a large performance hit to freeze a water tile to ice  Like it only takes a filled tile of water, a radiant pipe, and an aquatuner with coolant that can go below 0c.

Is the process of freezing a tile with a lot of debris in it the big performance drain?

7 hours ago, Zarquan said:

6 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Sadly not, the door trick isn't what you need for this.

Yes, you can. That's why I showed it here.

All debris there is in the U before you build the door will get stuck in the door and not pushed out. And will be buried in the resulting natural tile. If you deconstruct the tile again you'll find that all debris there was inside has been instantly reset to the temperature of the deconstructed door.

I wish people would try it before commentating if a thing is possible or not.

Remember the note that it has to be dupe constructed to work. Insta.build in debug mode does not work for this.

7 hours ago, Saturnus said:

All debris there is in the U before you build the door will get stuck in the door and not pushed out. And will be buried in the resulting natural tile. If you deconstruct the tile again you'll find that all debris there was inside has been instantly reset to the temperature of the deconstructed door.

Remember the note that it has to be dupe constructed to work. Insta.build in debug mode does not work for this.

I recall whenever I build a door over materials, that the materials are always moved out of the way of the door and put on top.  Is this a new thing?  Because before shipping, I had a setup that moved objects en mass from my factories to my core base using doors.  When constructing a door between 2 other doors (with a floor underneath), the material was moved out of the way.  It is possible I am misremembering as it was a while ago, but I am pretty sure it worked like that.

EDIT:  I watched a video on it and I guess the items did get stuck in doors.  Apparently, occasionally items would end up on top of the doors of you had them close too fast and that is probably what I was thinking of.

7 hours ago, Saturnus said:

The OP wants a solution that can be used to store materials. Using your solution he'd be forever in a loop of building/deconstructing doors every time he wants to get access to any stuff :p 

When I tried this I used a band of radiant piping and two shutoffs. One hot input, one cold input. I used ice/water to form/melt a 5x1 trough of water. This allowed me to pretty quickly form/melt the tiles - however it does need some additional input of heat, many bridges/transferable materials, and is entirely pointless :D 

Ok so because you guys convinced me not to bury materials as it is pointless i will just limit access to materials and see if this will make the difference. i made sorting system (quite easy and straight forward to be honest), now will just move materials there and see what happen ( which will take like a month in rl. Btw it looks like conveyor system works faster for me on x1 instead of x3 - weird. Or maybe just my preception).

20190901151326_1.thumb.jpg.b0760b1a2fdae587e506ab885a36a0a7.jpg

One thought would just be to trap stuff in a door instead of burying it in tiles.  I know while I was testing extracting heat from igneous rock that I had to have the igneous rock clicked on before closing it in the door because it was impossible to click on once the door was closed.  So, would stand to reason you could set up some sort of system to trap extra material in a door and only have X amount in a smart storage container or a weight plate that is accessible for construction/tasks.  When the storage container falls below it's set value, the door is opened and a dupe or a sweeper adds more contents to the container which would shut the door again.

8 hours ago, DemainaNyx said:

One thought would just be to trap stuff in a door instead of burying it in tiles.  I know while I was testing extracting heat from igneous rock that I had to have the igneous rock clicked on before closing it in the door because it was impossible to click on once the door was closed.  So, would stand to reason you could set up some sort of system to trap extra material in a door and only have X amount in a smart storage container or a weight plate that is accessible for construction/tasks.  When the storage container falls below it's set value, the door is opened and a dupe or a sweeper adds more contents to the container which would shut the door again.

On a picture above sweepers has access to materials in ina doagonal space. All containers below has jist one material ( pedestals show which material is in there) sweepers above has access to loaders if i want to send some material somewhere else. Water containers are for slime, bleach etc ( no poont to put water in place where is shute as i will first send polluted dirt there - it will fill this square with PO disallowing to emit any other gas there). Clock sensors allow to use sweepers 1once a day ( otherwise they will be usong energy moving evey 80kg of materials instead of taking 1000kg - their max). This way dups has 20t of every mateeial available for them from storage containers and all rest is in the shute. Loader by sweeprs is for materials i want to fully automate ( remove material fron stirage container - sweep errand on low pr. Sweeper will move it back to shute). 

Idea of trapping materials is to prevent machone to calculate it - i do not know how calculatipn of materials is done so try to find out if i will allow just 20t be available makes a difference. 

Is that make sense?

Archived