Ice Flingomatic, Farm Crops and Summer

So in summer, crops on farm plots can still wither even if they are in the range of an active ice flingomatic.

This makes farm plots even more useless over just doing the meta of pig and bunnyman farms and just living exclusively off meatballs, bacon and eggs and pierogi.

Ice Flingomatics are capable of keeping other plants from withering in their range(as long as they're active and fueled) why can't they do the same with farm plot crops?

I fail to see why this is a thing.

8 minutes ago, Terra M Welch said:

So in summer, crops on farm plots can still wither even if they are in the range of an active ice flingomatic.

This makes farm plots even more useless over just doing the meta of pig and bunnyman farms and just living exclusively off meatballs, bacon and eggs and pierogi.

Ice Flingomatics are capable of keeping other plants from withering in their range(as long as they're active and fueled) why can't they do the same with farm plot crops?

I fail to see why this is a thing.

I have used a flingomatic to keep my crops growing through summer, and it worked just fine. I was Wormwood though, so I was planting wild crops. If it really isn't working on your crops, then I think that might be a bug.

8 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I have used a flingomatic to keep my crops growing through summer, and it worked just fine. I was Wormwood though, so I was planting wild crops. If it really isn't working on your crops, then I think that might be a bug.

Might just be wild crops then? I'm using improved farms, and I'm always coming back to half my crops withered in summer. Especially with larger scale farm setups.

2 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

Might just be wild crops then? I'm using improved farms, and I'm always coming back to half my crops withered in summer. Especially with larger scale farm setups.

You need to keep the farms loaded for them not to wither away

I've noticed that the ice flinger can't seem to keep crops that were planted in rapid succession from wilting. I suspect it has to do with whatever it is that triggers it to fling ice at stuff, the plant reaching a certain stage of dryness or something. And my suspicion is that, when planting many seeds very quickly one after the other, their dryness triggers or whatever overlap, so the ice flinger doesn't actually throw ice on all of them at the right time. So when I plant crops in summer, I plant one seed, wait for the flinger to throw ice at it, and then plant the next one, to space out the flinging.

I might be completely wrong about how it works, but when I plant seeds more slowly, it seems to work for me.

I never faced this problem before, my farmplots never wither on summer if they are supported by fueled flingomatics. Are you sure you fertilized the farmplot soil sufficiently? I think that affects the withering speed aswell, potentially causing the problem you mentioned. Don't let the soil have white spots.

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I never faced this problem before, my farmplots never wither on summer if they are supported by fueled flingomatics. Are you sure you fertilized the farmplot soil sufficiently? I think that affects the withering speed aswell, potentially causing the problem you mentioned. Don't let the soil have white spots.

Hmm, I am not 100% certain, but I do notice it occurs more often if I leave the crop on the farm plot for later.

I've had this happen in both vanilla and modded playthroughs, so I'm certain mods can't be the culprit.

5 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

I've noticed that the ice flinger can't seem to keep crops that were planted in rapid succession from wilting. I suspect it has to do with whatever it is that triggers it to fling ice at stuff, the plant reaching a certain stage of dryness or something. And my suspicion is that, when planting many seeds very quickly one after the other, their dryness triggers or whatever overlap, so the ice flinger doesn't actually throw ice on all of them at the right time. So when I plant crops in summer, I plant one seed, wait for the flinger to throw ice at it, and then plant the next one, to space out the flinging.

I might be completely wrong about how it works, but when I plant seeds more slowly, it seems to work for me.

Planting speed doesn't seem to factor it for me, but it's alot more likely to happen for me if I have alot of farms. Notably doing a 54 farm plot setup all around a single flingomatic.

It's a shame really, find it kinda annoying I come back to my farm plots to at least a third of them withered despite the flingo throwing snowballs at all of them, and all this issue makes me do is avoid farming in summer, effectively making farming useless for me for literally half the seasons.

So a theory I've heard of is the reason why half my crops wither is due to my urge to travel alot, I don't sit at base all summer(which I guess alot of others here do) which means the ice flingomatic gets unloaded, and as a result it fails to stop farm crops from withering.

I'm going to see if setting up an ocuvigil will help stop this issue. If this is the case this seems like a very bad bug.

So the ocuvigil theory does not work. I have reported this as a bug.

This bug as far as I have noticed thus far, only occurs if the player travels away from the area where the farms are loaded. Even if the ice flingomatic is on and functional. Apparently upon returning to the area with the farms, by the time the flingo acts again the game performs whatever check it needs on the crops to check for withering, causing some crops to wither despite being in range of an active flingomatic.

If you sit at base all the time, this bug seems to never occur. It only occurs with travel, I guess that's why alot of people don't experience it, it's because I know ALOT of people like to sit at base all summer, but I however am antsy in DST and refuse to let one season stop me from getting stuff done.

I hope this gets fixed at some point, to be honest it's been a bug for a while now, it's only recently I've brought it up.

The wither temp range and the wither delay are slightly randomised so I don’t think it’s an issue with the flingo having to target them all at once.

From what I know, it seems withering can happen off-screen/on load, whereas wildfires only happen with a player present.

Archived