Jump to content

Different composition between desalinating and boiling salt water


Recommended Posts

Can any one tell me if this is a bug or not?

Desalinating gives you 7% salt and 97% water, but boiling it gives you 25.2% salt and 74.8% water. I want to automatically process salt water by boiling it but this way looses more water than I'd like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not seeing a heat source in your screenshot.

The last time I saw someone post something like this, they’d spawned hot crude oil using the sandbox tools, rather than starting with cold crude oil and then heating it. The game didn’t process it correctly, and the result was a weird amount of residual sulfur, more than you get normally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

LU-358820

If you are using a pirated launch preview, the salt content was inconsistent and is now corrected.

I'm also on LU-358820 as seen in the screenshot. The only mod I'm using is the geyser calculator. Disabling it now to see if it changes anything.

Update: it didn't change anything

Btw you get less salt when boiling brine?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I’m not seeing a heat source in your screenshot.

The last time I saw someone post something like this, they’d spawned hot crude oil using the sandbox tools, rather than starting with cold crude oil and then heating it. The game didn’t process it correctly, and the result was a weird amount of residual sulfur, more than you get normally.

I have a salt water boiler and it has the same ratio when spawned from sandbox. Gonna test it in a new game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok so I did some testing and the bug occurs when small amounts of salt water flashes into salt and steam. Can you guys try it out?

Update: The bug occurs when the salt water's temperature changes too quickly

Update: The bug occurs when the salt water boils the tick right after it is spawned. In my case, small amount (4kg) of salt water flashes immediately right after it touches scalding (160C) petrolium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, PNGray said:

The bug occurs when the salt water boils the tick right after it is spawned.

It is exactly like what Gus Smedstad described above.

When using sandbox to simulate boiling, you can use heat source like nakomaru... or using heat gun

I did it like this, and point heat gun to metal tile below the liquid

image.png.31ead52d6aa57369f705af72dc22dadc.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, abud said:

It is exactly like what Gus Smedstad described above.

When using sandbox to simulate boiling, you can use heat source like nakomaru... or using heat gun

I did it like this, and point heat gun to metal tile below the liquid

image.png.31ead52d6aa57369f705af72dc22dadc.png5d5027fe37aa4_Screenshot2019-08-1121_36_33.thumb.png.994e061e083f47bd9155caf7aa04c875.png

I use aquatuners in petrolium. The liquid drain drips about 4kg/s of salt water. As soon as it "spawns" above the petrolium it got flashed right in the next tick, so I got more salt and less water due to the bug. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, abud said:

Is there any specific situation I can get more salt? :D

Well there's your answer!

2 minutes ago, PNGray said:

I got more salt and less water due to the bug. 

Time to exploit this. :)

It seems related to the flash boiling mechanic just posted:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting thread, but salt is pretty useless. I'd rather see it having a % stress decrease, but it's not really a big deal cause stress is easy to manage as it is.

 

Unless it has some use other than food that I'm not aware of?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Daxterr said:

Unless it has some use other than food that I'm not aware of?

 

Nope, just rust deoxidizer. I have many rust in storage hole without salt :p

Renewable water source is many kinds, but renewable salt is... this liquid(salwater/brine) and saltvines. Saltvines is no, because I need chlorine for something else and have no chlorine geyser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, abud said:

Nope, just rust deoxidizer. I have many rust in storage hole without salt :p

Renewable water source is many kinds, but renewable salt is... this liquid(salwater/brine) and saltvines. Saltvines is no, because I need chlorine for something else and have no chlorine geyser.

If you do it with brine, you'll get a ridiculous 75% salt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, abud said:

Nope, just rust deoxidizer. I have many rust in storage hole without salt :p

Renewable water source is many kinds, but renewable salt is... this liquid(salwater/brine) and saltvines. Saltvines is no, because I need chlorine for something else and have no chlorine geyser.

I was thinking it would be nice if there was a place to get bleach stone from space. (Maybe there is, I haven't played a lot since launch update.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Daxterr said:

Unless it has some use other than food that I'm not aware of?

On top of @abud's answer above. Under certain conditions it's beneficial to deoxidize rust before using electrolysis or algae. Rust+salt = chlorine (->more salt) + oxygen + iron ore.

The rust deoxidizers go to feed my smooth hatches, keeping me always in supply of refined iron. All I have to do to manage how much refined iron I have on hand is just turn on/off the feed dispensers in my feeder room. Now I'm only using a smelter to make steel, so, even further less heat & power use.

Next, in practice electrolyzers will usually produce hotter O2 than the rust deoxidizer, because most sources of renewable water are >=90C. So, deoxidizing rust = less cooling in the long run unless you have a renewable source of cold water.

It's a resource limited process, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, abud said:

Odd, I cannot reproduce it. What file you gonna give to dev for bug report proof @PNGray ?

image.thumb.png.bb63deb08e9f33399201de25e8af3867.png

I was preparing this file to give to you to support your report. Can you check is the anything I miss here @PNGray, @nakomaru?

Start simulation using left thermo sensor: Salt.sav

How much salt water are you pumping in per second?

Also try dripping it from above?

Update: Found your problem, your salt water is not hot enough to flash boil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...