Manual Generator Backup

i'm really new to automation and probably this is a very noob question but:

my main source of power are natural gas generators, i've some smart batteries connected with automation wire in order to switch off the generators when they're below 80%

everything is working fine.

now i'm trying to setup a backup of some manual generators, if i connect the same automation wire those generators will be active below at 80% but i want this happen only below 50-40%

any suggestion?

probably on of the automation "gate" can help me?

50 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Use an additional smart battery.

To expand: have several smart batteries all on one power circuit. Then, when any one power generator is running, it charges all of them in equal amounts; and during power consumption they also get depleted in equal amounts. Have the automation of each one of these batteries separately control different power generators, telling them to switch on and off at different stages.

ooh ok, so easy.

i already have more than one smart battery, all connected (automation) to the generators, i just need to connect one of it to the manual generators and set the needed setting.

it should have come to mind, evidently it's too hot here in Italy. 

you can actually just set % on manual generators themselves - e.g. natural gas gens kick in when battery goes down to 50%, and manual generators are set to 20% = duplicants will run to generators only when battery goes to specified %. 

1 hour ago, Khullag said:

you can actually just set % on manual generators themselves - e.g. natural gas gens kick in when battery goes down to 50%, and manual generators are set to 20% = duplicants will run to generators only when battery goes to specified %. 

The advantage of using a smart battery is that they will disable the manual generator at whatever the max percentage the battery is set at instead of keeping the dupes on the generator until either all batteries are fully charged or the dupe goes on break/sleep. 

I personally set a smart battery at each group of generators and that controls that group.  I have plenty of ethanol so I have that set that battery for 80-95, nat gas is set from 60-75, hydrogen is 55-40, coal is 35-20, and manual is less than 20.  I turn the manual generator % all the way up to 100% and have their priority up to 9 since if we ever get to this level of power we are probably screwed but otherwise they are disabled most of the time.

It's up to you how you want to set them though.  I like to start saving up the hydrogen from my electrolyzer set up ASAP since I'll need it for rockets so swapping to nat gas early makes sense.  Once pips plant all my wild arbor trees and they have a chance to start producing branches, that allows me to save up the nat gas for gas ranges then.  I never take my old generators off the line because in case something happens I want there to be a buffer.  I accidentally cut my conveyor rail shipping my lumber to the ethanol distillers but luckily my nat gas production kept my base running until I caught the mistake, which is much better than discovering you made the mistake because nothing has power suddenly.

Create "layers". Like (just grabbing a few power producers to show example):
Coal powerplant: Battery set to 10-70%
Petroleum generator: Battery set to 20-80%
Nat gas gen: Battery set to 30-90%

This will start nat gen first, if that is not enough and power still dropping petrolium will kick in (but stop before nat gen) and then coal etc. You can keep creating "layers" like this. So if one fails/not enough, the others will kick in if needed.

This is how the game automation is supposed to be used, I think.. :p

Archived