Steam Workshop is not always providing latest files!

As I suspected: what you download from the workshop isn't always the latest version.
Confirmed with the Bigger Capacity mod.
A new config value for Pipe Multiplier was added and was missing from my config.
A direct download was provided and upon using that one to replace the Steam Workshop downloaded dll. I obtained the proper config value in my config.json

I think ONI Devs have to complain to Steam! I suspect this is also the reason why there are so many issues with mods, restarting loops, access violations, ...
Or the Workshop tool isn't uploading/updating the files properly on the Steam Workshop.

That could explain the problems people have with High Flow Storage. They write about the issue I would except with version 1.6, but I have uploaded 1.7 and I can't reproduce the problem myself, not even if I use the version I downloaded from Steam. On the other hand the people who have problems can't fix them. Deleting all the mods to make the game write them again and unsubscribing and then subscribing again haven't worked.

Any idea what to do about it?

5 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

*snip

Any idea what to do about it?

Far as I know there is nothing that can be done right now. When a mod updated and it failed, you could delete the mod folder from the Steam mod folder and when restarting the game the updated mod would be applied. Now it is seemingly random whether workshop mods will give you the updated files. If it gives you old or corrupted files, nothing can be done about it.

you might try to suggest your user to switch the steam download server to the same you use,  it seems like some servers either failed to replicate the update or take longer to update

48 minutes ago, Ka-Oz said:

you might try to suggest your user to switch the steam download server to the same you use,  it seems like some servers either failed to replicate the update or take longer to update

Are you saying part of the problem is that Steam can't update their mirror servers?

Also how do you select a specific server? I always just used whatever Steam decides for me. It worked so far.

@Nightinggale

yes is likely what is happening, the mirrors still didnt update and that make it look like it is  "randomly" distributing different versions of workshop items

by default steam use servers closest to ur location, it can be changed

Steam => Settings => download => download region

On 8/1/2019 at 6:34 PM, Guinaro said:

Steam Workshop.

Steam are trash. You always had to look what's new, cause any update could easily rip your game forever.

Mods in archives are so reliable! I pay for game, but the only opportunity to play my save usually is to find pirate old version of the game and install modes manually. I hope steam gonna die soon, and developers could provide normal service to their customers. 

8 minutes ago, Outrate said:

hope steam gonna die soon, and developers could provide normal service to their customers. 

You can wish, but it wont happen. Steam is still the number 1 game source. And neither GoG will change that, nor Epic.

And Oni is a very good example. We can get mods from steam as well as from github and such. Why steam? Because the folks demand it. They do not want to fiddle with mod managers, dependencies and so on. They want to "hey this sounds fun, subscribe". And thats because Klei made it that way. Not because they wanted steam-workshop forever, but they had to.

We need something like Fluffy's Mod Manager (Rimworld). It's a mod, which adds a much better mod enabling screen. However there is a less visible feature in it, which is if a mod has an xml file and that xml file points to the same xml file in the git repository, then the mod manager can compare versions and tell the user if the git repository contains a newer version of the mod. The clever part here is that it allows the user to update mods manually, use git to load earlier versions of mods etc while there is an automated notification to tell the user if mods are out of date.

There are other abilities as well, like warnings if mods are read in the wrong order, missing mod requirements, incompatible mods etc. All set up in a simple to use xml file system. The mod manager doesn't actually check for compatibility issues. Instead it relies on the mod creators to fill out the xml file, which has a list of incompatible mods etc.

4 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

Why steam? 

I lost mod I plaid, so now I downloading installation of the game and mode separately. 
If you like to pay and being "demanded" it's your problem. I made a conclusion for myself.

4 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

And Oni is a very good example. We can get mods from steam as well as from github and such. Why steam? Because the folks demand it. They do not want to fiddle with mod managers, dependencies and so on. They want to "hey this sounds fun, subscribe". And thats because Klei made it that way. Not because they wanted steam-workshop forever, but they had to.

Factorio has a mod system, which is vastly superior to Steam, but it's not something anybody can code in a week or even a month. Also Wube has to run their own server to run the mod system and that's not free.... or fast.

2 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

We need something like Fluffy's Mod Manager (Rimworld).

I got rimworld hardcore-sk, it's provide much much deeper gameplay. Team that still updates its already have separate installation file. 
You don't need to deal with dozen modes, lists, orders and so on. Just install the game, turn off updated and install modpack + some lovely stuff. Few minutes, no hemorrhoid.

On 01/08/2019 at 2:03 PM, Cairath said:

It's one of the problems with the in-game updater. It doesn't necessarily update correctly :/ I spent a few hours trying to force a proper download of all my mods and I'm only halfway D:

For me what works best to solve this mod update issue, I simply created a steam collection with all the mods I use, so when I want to update I disable all of them in the game, unsubscribe from everyone on steam and subscribe again, it will simply delete all the settings you had, but will update everything 100%

Archived