Well, with liquid duplication gone, I can now confirm that the metal cannon and liquid duplication are NOT the same bug.  \

Behold, the Metal Printing Press, powered by dupes who refine steel, and a snapshot of a single printing. 

finishedwithshutoff.thumb.png.8e869452b51b9a418bc2f5b495a8b774.png metalfalling.png.8df59f5539f0363a0c5b25956909b4c8.png

The metal refinery uses liquid steel as the coolant. The window tile below the metal refinery connects a tiny blob of petro (above the tile) to the coolant pool below the refinery, keeping the refinery nice and chill.  The liquid in the refinery itself does not interact with this petro (as it reacts with the central tile under the refinery). You can use this printing press to secure tons of Tungsten. 

The automation is setup using edge detectors and clocks (I wanted to have some fun playing with edge detectors for the first time). The doors open/close 20 times a day, allowing for a maximum of 20 prints of 400kg of three types of metal. 

• All doors are wolframite, except for the bottom door of each layer, which you can choose based on your printing desires.
    • For the top door, the best choice is Thermium, as upon melting, you get both Tungsten and Niobium. 
    • The middle door is iron.
    • The bottom door is gold, copper, or aluminum.  I picked gold. 
  • The temp sensor under the liquid storage is set to 2850C. It should never reach this, but better safe than sorry, as I don't want all the wolframite to melt.
  • The liquid feed into the metal refinery has a thermosensor set to 3100C which controls the shutoff. This prevents the steel from getting too hot.
  • Once this thing is primed, you only need about 2 runs of steel a day to keep it going. Not much (someone else can do the computation for needed lime from eggshells).
  • Side note: occasionally the doors fully melt (happens when the automation wire inside them gets too hot - most likely).  When this happens, You go in, dig out any solidified tiles, and build a new door (and then wait a bit for the printing to resume as the door must reach full temp again).  I have not been able to track down the full reason to prevent this from happening. To get this fully working in survival, just add some ladders for access. 
  • You can adjust the bottom area in any way you want to capture 1000Cish metal. Use it to power a turbine or two, or just use it hot and rebuild stuff at 45C. 

Here are some other screen shots. 

Spoiler

When the doors melt, you sometimes have to dig out a few tiles. 

doormelted.png.c3b666101ce3fd79c2952205c2d6472f.png

I use debris INSIDE tiles (trapped in doors) to capture as much heat as I can before letting it fall. I cycle these doors twice day, using clock sensors. 

trapmetal.png.425cc2b88ce222e47aa697692e23b1c9.png

Here is an automation overlay (it's a mess, and I'm sure could be greatly simplified). It is important the the doors used for trapping debris are in sync with the melting doors, hence I decided to use clocks.  I'm sure a memory toggle attached to an edge detector could remove the need for the extra edge detector on the right. The BUFFER/FILTER pairs make is easy to open a door after a few seconds (set this time on the filter) and then close after a set time (set on the buffer). Clocks go on for 5% time every 10% of the day (gettting 20 cycles per day for printing). 

automationfinal.thumb.png.21c968e0705432d1ff78e244784c8f95.png

And here is the material overlay, so you can see how the three doors used for melting are included. 

materialoverlay.png.4a47569b2f75ba5380401712ff00ca5d.png

Whether this one gets fixed or not is not top priority. It's probably not going to affect new players, or most veterans, in any significant way.  Though, here is a fun recent reddit post that got one newbie quite surprised.

The post above is, I believe, directly connected to this problem, and it does impact newbies who decide to deconstruct their doors.... I haven't encountered it much, because once I put up a door, I almost never have a reason to deconstruct it. 

Happy tinkering all.  I'm off to find some more shenanigans in the most recent builds. :wilson_evil:

Here is the save file, if you want to open it and play.

MetalPrintingPress.sav

And here is one of many bug reports on this.

Spoiler

With liquid duplication out but flaking still happening is it a door form of it?  With the difference being that opening/closing the door resets it in some way.

I had some rockets going off near a natural granite tile and when it flaked the mass went down.

I also had a bunker tile right in the center underneath the rocket vanish after a long amount of attrition.

The difference being a non natural tile doesn’t display mass in the same way.  They must be treated differently more than you would expect. 

1 hour ago, 0xFADE said:

flaking...is it a door form of it?

Great question, to which I can only guess.  Currently I don't think they are the same.  When doors close, the game places natural blocks of metal behind the door, with a visual door covering them. I believe the metal cannon results from melting these natural blocks. My best guess is that this is done as a simple way to get path finding to work correctly (fun aside, I believe this is exactly why you can deconstruct doors in certain configurations and get a natural tile to appear). Upon opening a door, you also temporarily reinsert the blocks till it opens, so you can get two metal cannon payloads with each open/close.

Once the natural metal blocks melt, the liquid payload instantly drops temp (phase change stuff), and I think that this prevents the door from disappearing.  If you put hot liquid or gas behind the melted door (which by the way no long prevents stuff from going through it), then the door disappears. If you leave the door in vacuum, it registers as having 0Kelvin temp (but it does not behave properly with mass computations - all kinds of weird stuff happens).  So as long as you never heat up the contents behind your door too much, you can drip metal out of it indefinitely.  Rapidly toggling the door open/closed seems to make sure it never overheats (but the 0K temp resetting seems to sap heat energy out really fast). Part of the reason I've been studying liquid physics is to make sure the liquid instantly converts to drip form, so the beaded liquid cannot heat up the automation wire behind the door.

This metal printing press in this post was designed to minimize the amount of heat energy lost, and then capture the heat from one melting to melt something else. The doors disappear whenever the automation wire behind the door gets too hot (beaded liquid in contact with the surrounding door). When I build this thing again, I'll use airflow tiles to force any beaded liquid to instantly convert to drip form, hopefully allowing infinite use without the door ever disappearing. 

Sounds good.  If the door generates natural metal as a stand in then they are likely disconnected.  So you start melting the natural tiles it creates it doesn't care.  Then when you open the door it removes the tiles that you already melted and goes right to making new ones when you close it again.  If a gas interacts with those tiles like causing a tile update in minecraft it says hey wait that door isn't there any more and gets rid of it.

There was a time when closing a bunker door with regolith inside would break the door to metal tiles.

That would explain how door crushers and stuff work.  It is pushing the debris in a way that building something or sand falling does.

Archived