Make space destinations exploring great

I'd suggest adding gameplay value to late game by changing the whole aspect of space destinations exploring/excavation.

In my opinion, the magical off-screen space action (got to volcano planet - here are your tons of molten magma) does not fit the notion of the game. We already have biomes and features to correspond with the majority of the space bodies...

Using the volcano planet example - upon reaching the destination - create a small world similar to Vulcanea with magma vents and extra volcanoes, and produce some "rocket reached destination" notification, to zoom into the new mini map (time on the mother asteroid is frozen in the meanwhile) and make the player ponder how to pipe the molten goodness into the rocket using limited resources we brought along and anything that we find on the mini map.

Several added bonuses here:

1. The traits of the astronauts (dig/build/carry...) will matter once more,

2. The different space targets will present diverse (and in some cases extreme) challenge and have a danger aspect about them

3. Choices matter. Do you spend your limited time and resources to mine the noibium or to drain the magma pool for the artifact at the bottom

What I meant was - pause the main base for a limited amount of cycles and concentrate on the mini map for a while.

Switching back and forth would indeed be tedious.

Also - you could have "automatic exploration" toggled to retain the existing mechanics for a fraction of the reward

3 hours ago, Le0n1des said:

In my opinion, the magical off-screen space action (got to volcano planet - here are your tons of molten magma) does not fit the notion of the game. We already have biomes and features to correspond with the majority of the space bodies...

Using the volcano planet example - upon reaching the destination - create a small world similar to Vulcanea with magma vents and extra volcanoes, and produce some "rocket reached destination" notification, to zoom into the new mini map (time on the mother asteroid is frozen in the meanwhile) and make the player ponder how to pipe the molten goodness into the rocket using limited resources we brought along and anything that we find on the mini map.

Does the base game even have magma safe pump materials?

4 hours ago, Ambaire said:

Does the base game even have magma safe pump materials?

Niobium\Thermium\Steel would be my guess. Or various pumping tricks.

The magma pumping example was simply the most extreme case I could think of to make a point. It should be close to impossible - same as in your regular base.

2 hours ago, Le0n1des said:

Niobium\Thermium\Steel would be my guess. Or various pumping tricks.

Thermium rises the overheat temperature to 975oC. Magma is usually at ~1500oC so you are left with "tricks".

As for the main suggestion. It`s not new. A subworld similar to how caves worked in don`t starve would be cool but would have to pause the main asteroid for the mission time or lag would be out of control. It would also require a lot of changes, like taking food for the trip and giving a way for the dupe to get out of the rocket without a gantry.

Now imagine an astronaut that is not able to dig or build. If you miss that you are wasting an entire rocket trip.

26 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

would have to pause the main asteroid

I've specifically stated that

27 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

It would also require a lot of changes, like taking food for the trip and giving a way for the dupe to get out of the rocket without a gantry

Those are minor changes comparing to the world generation part that is already there (mostly)

Taking food/oxygen for the trip is quite reasonable, and should have been there already

32 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Now imagine an astronaut that is not able to dig or build. If you miss that you are wasting an entire rocket trip.

That is why you take more than one... So the navigator could enjoy the view while others labor...

Also, can't really see the difference between that and starting a colony with 3 unconstructve dupes. You should pay for mistakes! That's what the rest of the game does

8 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Imagine that you take fuel only in one way and need to prepare fuel on place, and your astronaut cant build or dig... Sounds like fun adventure.

I had similar idea too. Just one addition: for people who dont wanna bothering about manual missions need to leave current automatic missions as option, so player can choose.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:36 AM, D.L.S. said:

for people who dont wanna bothering about manual missions need to leave current automatic missions as option, so player can choose.

Already have it covered ;)

On 7/24/2019 at 9:59 AM, Le0n1des said:

Also - you could have "automatic exploration" toggled to retain the existing mechanics for a fraction of the reward

The "not directly the same" bit can be achieved by trivializing the mundane aspects (I.e. no need to build toilets/mess hall/barracks, as the rocket already has usable facilities) to concentrate on the more challenging stuff

Stuff that come to mind:

1. 1000kg/tile hydrogen/nat gas atmosphere of a gas giant

2. Having space at the bottom of the satellite mini map a dupe can fall through

3. Numerous layers of regolith on a dusty dwarf (same issues as in the much hated "Oasisse")

4. The already mentioned volcanic planet with igneous rock tiles on the verge of melting and dropping dupes into magma pools

Archived