Red and purple Gems and the Quagmire/Gorge...

4 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I'm really confused by this. Could you explain how you came up with this theory? I'm not seeing anything at in in the game that supports it.

Perhaps this is less a theory and more of a 'speculation'. Forgive. I was really tired when I wrote this.

There is some weight to this, however.

By mixing a red and a blue gem, you can create a purple gem. Purple gems have completely different properties than red and blue gems, but still hold small resemblance to its two halves. Therefor, it is safe to assume that every other gem, aside from the yellow gem and Wormwoods, are a mix or the existing gems. To take 2 properties and combining them for an entirely new property.

Similarly to how humans would mix and change seeds for better crops. Ancients did this, but with gems. To create new magic to their liking. Anyone can create a purple gem, however, yellow gems are ancient technology, and are not meant for mere humans to temper with.

As a matter of fact, yellow gems are very strange. It's a complete topsy-turvy of the normal gems, and it shows. 

To take a red gem, 'space', and add that with the yellow gems 'swiftness', you'll get the lazy explorer. You move swiftly, and can bend space to your will. Essentially, you'll move space behind you. Ripping through space like it's fabric.

Mixing the yellow gem and 'time', you'll get the deconstruction staff. You can bend time to your will, rewinding things to its original state.

However, the yellow gems oddity does show. You basically become Thanos'd everytime you teleport. Changing the 'life' aspect from the red gem. Instead of repairing, you destroy things, taken away from the blue gem. truth be told, im probably overthinking this HARD. but hey it is fun to think about these stuff

But HEY that just a pseculation a gAME SPECULAJFSDGLJ.XCKDSPGH540wer890371!!

22 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I think It's like deconstructing the rainbow... 

The moon is the source of the gems... It seems like all gems are initially colorless and then they change color (and probably shape too). Probs NF cycles or the contact with other elements in the new lands. 

"Chrmium impurities have colored this gem green" Wickerbottom

Then when the moon inbudes its magic its probably like an explosion of all the colors at the same time. Ergo why the iridiscent stone is multicolor. 

How do you know that the moon is source of gems? Ok, we've seen one falling down in Wormwood's short, but this is not enough for evidence. On the murals Ancients literally mine gems. Gems occur in rocks and form rocks.

And about the colour, it depends on the light which goes through cristalline structure (in case of transparent minerals). For example olivines which are green macroscopically, they have purple or blue colours under the microscope, because light goes differently through cut gem. The same thing about opal or brillant diamonds. Opals don't have crystalline structure, this is why light goes in different axes and gives rainbow aurora (it's called opalescence). In the other hand like You said before, colour can be caused by some ions, like Cu, Fe, Cr etc.

1 hour ago, Cytryn7 said:

How do you know that the moon is source of gems?

You can just mine the moon glass to get gems.
It's an RoT thing, once on the moon there's a lot of glass, tossing a bath bomb into the thermal pool and waiting to full moon will give you glass you can break for gems.

Also, Wormwood is the Moon baby.

22 minutes ago, -Variant said:

You can just mine the moon glass to get gems.
It's an RoT thing, once on the moon there's a lot of glass, tossing a bath bomb into the thermal pool and waiting to full moon will give you glass you can break for gems.

Is that really so? I never got any gems from the frozen thermal pools. Does anyone know the actual drop chance?

From what i understand, as stated overtly the elements are such:

Red- Fire, heat.

Blue- Water, Cold.

Green- Work, Industry.

Orange- Laziness, Convienience.

Yellow- Daylight, Sanity.

Purple- Darkness, Insanity.

Irredescent- The moon, ???.

Note that the only item with the iredescent gem is the moon caller staff, which has a cold effect. 

Archived