How to cool things in space where there's no atmosphere to conduct heat?

The pipe interacts with the gas or liquid in the cell. The building interacts with the gas/liquid in the cell. Your gas is "vacuum" (or void?).

What people usually do is deconstructing the pipe and let the liquid escape. If there is a backwall, some of it will be left behind and it will act as a transfer medium between the building and the newly constructed pipe.

In the late game, just use thermium to build stuff and let regolith fall on it to cool it down now and then (to 300-ish degrees). 

This was my solution for the early game. There's a lot going on in the screenshot but what I want to show is the liquid vent on the bottom left and the water spilling off the right side of the platform. Just a little trickle of water cools everything on the platform without blocking enough light to matter.

5cf2b4a061fd1_Screenshotfrom2018-12-2519-02-41.thumb.png.05111f2d68a8115ca50c791edcf0c1be.png

A few ways to do it.  The two I do are "gas cooling" by having large containers of polluted water under things or drip cooling by using a liquid I have an excess of to cool things.  Obviously as stated late game you just go to the insanely high overheating limit metals and you won't have any issues.

20181223215542_1.thumb.jpg.de679e0935cfee9adf0195eaa5d0e71c.jpg

20190602165346_1.thumb.jpg.3ffc256829ff66ccd25f3641c9774706.jpg

15 hours ago, Craigjw said:

Robo miners are perfect insulators, they are mounted in contact with a surface, yet have an absolute zero thermal transfer.

Unfortunately, yes. I usually drip water on them to cool them. With 40C water from a sieve, I found that 3g/sec is quite enough. You absolutely need some drywall though. Below is the cooling-cell I am using. The insulated tiles are so that the water does not get evaporated fast by heat from the hot glass. This reduces the amount of water needed a lot. The miner is just steel. So far no overheating in 1000 or so cycles.

std_cooling.jpg.8c09f861c94502b63e63699ed9068cbf.jpg

Lol guys i really liked your ways to cool it! Im using a way with petrol that i invented but yours are way better with only 1 resalve if you need petrol and make a little waterfall using petrol and a tank under or just another pump now that you will have unlimited sight for solar panels i can see me making huge setups using this now :).

19 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Unfortunately, yes. I usually drip water on them to cool them. With 40C water from a sieve, I found that 3g/sec is quite enough. You absolutely need some drywall though. Below is the cooling-cell I am using. The insulated tiles are so that the water does not get evaporated fast by heat from the hot glass. This reduces the amount of water needed a lot. The miner is just steel. So far no overheating in 1000 or so cycles.

One question: Why did you sieve water, instead of just deliver polluted water directly?

5 hours ago, fredhp said:

One question: Why did you sieve water, instead of just deliver polluted water directly?

Several reasons. First, the cooling water gets boiled into steam. Having dupes collect lots and lots of tiny amounts of dirt resulting from that is annoying. Second, this assures 40C and that is really nice and efficient. Before I used variable-temperature water and I always had to fix something or increase the flow of water. It was wasteful and unstable. And third, filter-medium is excessively abundant if you use regolith.

Also, since the filtered water does feed my bathrooms as well, the infrastructure is there. The cooling for the whole surface, including two dupe checkpoints that need 5g/s water each to cool them, is just about 60g/s total. The bathrooms consume about 200g/s water for 12 dupes and produce about 330g/s pwater. Hence the infrastructure is already there and there is capacity to spare. I do have, in fact, an overflow venting excess into space. 

It does help that I now produce all mid-game oxygen (after algae) from "wild" pwater and only move that to geysers towards the end (no need before, pwater is plenty). At that point I just use the existing system to recycle the bathroom waste pwater into water for the bathrooms and can nicely feed the cooling on the side.

Thanks for the explanation Gurgel!  I will try this in my next base - i'm currently focusing on re-playing Factorio while waiting for the next oni release.

Have you tried this method to cool steel Auto-Swepers and Conveyour loaders? I try to automatize as much as possible, but heat in space exposed areas is always a problem.

Thanks for the explanation Gurgel!  I will try this in my next base - i'm currently focusing on re-playing Factorio while waiting for the next oni release.

You are welcome!

Have you tried this method to cool steel Auto-Swepers and Conveyour loaders? I try to automatize as much as possible, but heat in space exposed areas is always a problem.

Yes, actually, see below. I had lose Regolith on the checkpoints and remove that automatically now. For the auto-sweeper, you can place a tile under any of its 3 tiles and drip water in that. For the loader, just drip on it. I have (40C water) 2g/s on both, but you may need more depending on use. Drywall is needed here as well.

sweeper01.jpg.43725559839174c497e6d5614a5327a3.jpgsweeper02.jpg.39b68f07e7551b591239ec5ce2337acb.jpg

Archived