New Update, Smallbirds, itemization and other stuff:)

Hi there!I really love the new update - right now you can feel the survival character of the game. Many people complain about difficulty which in my opinion is just fine. But...Game needs some tweaks that might in my opinion improve it a lot without huge effort to developers. Here are my ideas:1. Tent: right now is a useless item. Let change it that way: no regenerations but for example 5-10 uses. Make it expensive but worth making. Tired of making straw rolls? Here's the solution. Also it would be great to see it as a bag or something so we can make it and take it wherever we want. Now when we have winter - great idea for people who love to make temporary camps in some efficient areas:)2. Making our character weaker was a good idea but making armor less efficient not. Instead of nerfing the armor there should be just another - significantly more expensive and stronger one. 3. Smallbirds - now they are just a waste of time. Let change it that way: Let it be our companion (just one at once) till it dies in combat. Make it stronger than pig but not to powerful. It would be nice to see our "child" fighting along us. If we can hire few pigs to make it easier why can't we have one bird with us?4. Game needs rare craftable items that will be very useful. I see it as a "Diablo" system. Here is my examples:- bow - craftable but only from few ingredients that can be only dropped by mobs (based on luck/make it rare) when you collect it you can build your bow with some amount of uses. (arrows could be craftable with known ingredients)- saw to chop tree faster - rare ingredients from mobs - some amount of usues.- mount - you need to find a very rare egg or smth. It gives you slightly more moving speed - limited time of use (number of days)That are just some quick ideas. I know that developers vision is to make game as a challenge and I understand that. I like it much more when is harder, but why add some items that are very useful and make your survival easier but make them hard to find, make etc. Game needs goals like that. 5. Water needs to be implemented to the game. Water indicator that shows your hydration. Water could be obtained with some inventions - like farms - simple - less efficient and impresive ones. Of course those more effective should be very expensive.I'm very satisfied with the game right now because of the difficulty but please consider those solutions mentioned. Add useful items that gives players a real boost but make then really hard to obtain. Those items should have limited time of use to maintain constant challenge. Love your work Klei. cheers!

1. Tent: right now is a useless item. Let change it that way: no regenerations but for example 5-10 uses. Make it expensive but worth making. Tired of making straw rolls? Here's the solution. Also it would be great to see it as a bag or something so we can make it and take it wherever we want. Now when we have winter - great idea for people who love to make temporary camps in some efficient areas:)

Go talk with the Mod Section, we already had this discussion explained and now Multiple Tents is now a mod.

2. Making our character weaker was a good idea but making armor less efficient not. Instead of nerfing the armor there should be just another - significantly more expensive and stronger one.

Agreed, why nerf armor AND Characters? That isn't fair.

3. Smallbirds - now they are just a waste of time. Let change it that way: Let it be our companion (just one at once) till it dies in combat. Make it stronger than pig but not to powerful. It would be nice to see our "child" fighting along us. If we can hire few pigs to make it easier why can't we have one bird with us?

Fantastico, a well done creative idea.

- bow - craftable but only from few ingredients that can be only dropped by mobs (based on luck/make it rare) when you collect it you can build your bow with some amount of uses. (arrows could be craftable with known ingredients)

We already have the Boomerang, Bows are very useless and no help but wasting ARROWS.

- saw to chop tree faster - rare ingredients from mobs - some amount of usues.

We already got the Luxary Axe, we don't need anything else.

- mount - you need to find a very rare egg or smth. It gives you slightly more moving speed - limited time of use (number of days)

Every Mob is slow, except the Hounds...You expect us to ride a Hound and eat us for 2 seconds of being ridden on?

5. Water needs to be implemented to the game. Water indicator that shows your hydration. Water could be obtained with some inventions - like farms - simple - less efficient and impresive ones. Of course those more effective should be very expensive.

Developers are not TRYING TO ADD ANYMORE METERS,Thank you come again at Taco Bell.

Love your work Klei. cheers!

post-10537-13764591536341_thumb.jpg

Every Mob is slow, except the Hounds...

Actually most mobs are/can be faster than the player, like beefalo when they charge.I quite like the idea of possibly saddling a hound or a beefalo, something that would take a lot of effort, whiles the mount in question can still be attacked and killed like any follower or mob.Hmm, perhaps pig skin, rope, and silk for a saddle? Maybe feeding a beefalo a special type of food they like to tame them enough to saddle them? Such as a certain vegetable, giving farms and caged birds even more use. With the risk of being charged at angrily while attempting to tame them? That would be worthwhile for a new riding mechanic, such a ride shouldn't simply expire as long as it can be killed by other mobs. And the extra speed you gain from it wouldn't be too game breaking I think, including given the possible cost.If more humanoid monsters were put in the game, they could be found mounting and riding hounds, possibly even raiding your camp much like hounds already do. That would definitely be interesting. Perhaps a more sinister clan of pig men, who are even far more dangerous when going were pig. Now things like THAT occasionally riding into your base sounds like a difficulty hike!

Actually most mobs are/can be faster than the player, like beefalo when they charge.I quite like the idea of possibly saddling a hound or a beefalo, something that would take a lot of effort, whiles the mount in question can still be attacked and killed like any follower or mob.Hmm, perhaps pig skin, rope, and silk for a saddle? Maybe feeding a beefalo a special type of food they like to tame them enough to saddle them? Such as a certain vegetable, giving farms and caged birds even more use. With the risk of being charged at angrily while attempting to tame them? That would be worthwhile for a new riding mechanic, such a ride shouldn't simply expire as long as it can be killed by other mobs. And the extra speed you gain from it wouldn't be too game breaking I think, including given the possible cost.If more humanoid monsters were put in the game, they could be found mounting and riding hounds, possibly even raiding your camp much like hounds already do. That would definitely be interesting. Perhaps a more sinister clan of pig men, who are even far more dangerous when going were pig. Now things like THAT occasionally riding into your base sounds like a difficulty hike!

post-10537-1376459153799_thumb.jpgThere's no point of riding a slow animal, you can just walk instead of wasting crafting materials.Besides, if you are fighting in combat, THEY fight in combat with you, since they are tamed.

There's no point of riding a slow animal

Actually most mobs are/can be faster than the player, like beefalo when they charge.

If in theory such a mechanic were in the game, a ride able animal such as a beefalo can easily be made to go faster as opposed to the wild, slow walking, laid back ones. Even without charging. This isn't really an issue.

you can just walk instead of wasting crafting materials.

You can just wear a beefalo hat during winter instead of wasting crafting materials on a winter hat and vest, or just don't waste materials at all and stay around a fire, or carry a torch.You can just use a boomerang instead of wasting crafting materials on a fire blow dart.You can just wait out the night or pick flowers for sanity, instead of wasting crafting materials on a strawroll or especially a tent.You can just kite that spider queen yourself instead of wasting meat materials on pigs.You can just spear rabbits instead of wasting crafting materials on traps.But none of that stopped these features from happening and, in some way, even being sometimes useful.

Besides, if you are fighting in combat, THEY fight in combat with you, since they are tamed.

Referring to . . . what? Not the mounts because, they don't exist right now. The pigs and smallbirds? I think smallbirds are the closest thing in the game that can be considered tamed, as opposed to just a follower.I use the word tamed when referring to acquiring a mount because I can't think of any other word that would fit it.If you mean to liken a ride able mount mechanic to followers like pigs and smallbirds, saying they will fight for you since their tamed. Well, that's all kind of up in the air. In theory they don't "have to" unless are made to when implemented. Unless to say mounts or mount code is already in the game, and this is already what it does.Either way I'd see no problem with a mount like that fighting with you, for you, or what ever have you. Except where it may be a bit strong but how would a single mounted beefalo that you had to tame enough to saddle be any more stronger then a heard of beefalo following your horn?If not a concern about its strength, I think the mount getting into fights is good as it increases its chance of death, thus creating an artificial limited use of sort like any follower. Players would want to take care of their mounts and may even grow more attached to them personally then an army of pigs. This would add some interesting elements and fit well into a game half about nomadic travel and survival.A companion of a mount could even maybe have a positive sanity buff when near them, much like monsters have a negative one. This would make getting a mount that much more . . . handy? Not necessary, not unrealistically powerful, but just nice to have and hard to get. Like a lot of other things in this game.Actually come to think of it, a Koalaphant would be a perfect candidate for mounting! It's slightly more challenging to find and get to then a beefalo, already has a decent default speed, doesn't look totally ridiculous while running, and doesn't have much other use as of yet! (save for its tusk)

If in theory such a mechanic were in the game, a ride able animal such as a beefalo can easily be made to go faster as opposed to the wild, slow walking, laid back ones. Even without charging. This isn't really an issue.You can just wear a beefalo hat during winter instead of wasting crafting materials on a winter hat and vest, or just don't waste materials at all and stay around a fire, or carry a torch.You can just use a boomerang instead of wasting crafting materials on a fire blow dart.You can just wait out the night or pick flowers for sanity, instead of wasting crafting materials on a strawroll or especially a tent.You can just kite that spider queen yourself instead of wasting meat materials on pigs.You can just spear rabbits instead of wasting crafting materials on traps.But none of that stopped these features from happening and, in some way, even being sometimes useful.Referring to . . . what? Not the mounts because, they don't exist right now. The pigs and smallbirds? I think smallbirds are the closest thing in the game that can be considered tamed, as opposed to just a follower.I use the word tamed when referring to acquiring a mount because I can't think of any other word that would fit it.If you mean to liken a ride able mount mechanic to followers like pigs and smallbirds, saying they will fight for you since their tamed. Well, that's all kind of up in the air. In theory they don't "have to" unless are made to when implemented. Unless to say mounts or mount code is already in the game, and this is already what it does.Either way I'd see no problem with a mount like that fighting with you, for you, or what ever have you. Except where it may be a bit strong but how would a single mounted beefalo that you had to tame enough to saddle be any more stronger then a heard of beefalo following your horn?If not a concern about its strength, I think the mount getting into fights is good as it increases its chance of death, thus creating an artificial limited use of sort like any follower. Players would want to take care of their mounts and may even grow more attached to them personally then an army of pigs. This would add some interesting elements and fit well into a game half about nomadic travel and survival.A companion of a mount could even maybe have a positive sanity buff when near them, much like monsters have a negative one. This would make getting a mount that much more . . . handy? Not necessary, not unrealistically powerful, but just nice to have and hard to get. Like a lot of other things in this game.Actually come to think of it, a Koalaphant would be a perfect candidate for mounting! It's slightly more challenging to find and get to then a beefalo, already has a decent default speed, doesn't look totally ridiculous while running, and doesn't have much other use as of yet! (save for its tusk)

tl;drCan you make this simple like"Mounts are more HELPFUL because ____, and _____."btw, it's funny that if the tamed mount laughs when you die and never helps you in battle.and just wanders around.Oh, I refer long texts as long pieces of wasted time, just simply shorten it so it can be a little NO PRESSURE.kthx.no hate bro just a opinon, don't want to hav to fite mano e mano becuz of dis.

Kevin has said numerous times he wants you (the player) to feel isolated and alone. I, myself, have made many attempts to raise a smallbird. All but one died. The one that did make it to a smallish tallbird was swarmed by spiders and killed. That was when I realized the meaning of Kevin's words. The smallbird's purpose is to die. You're all "look how cute my little friends is!" and then it dies horribly and you feel sad. That's the whole point.Mounts - once again, you're supposed to feel alone, not have buddies you can ride around on. Not to mention, the maps are meant to be difficult and having a fast move speed makes it too easy.Axes only take a couple seconds to chop down a tree, I don't see why a saw would be needed.Bow and arrow - I LOATHE this idea. No offense to you, I just HATE the thought of a bunch of arrows clogging up what little inventory space I actually have. The boomerang works great, lets stick with that as the ranged weapon.I never use a tent because I play as Wendy and night time is when Abigail and I get things done so I have nothing to say about that.There is more expensive and stronger armor. It's called the Night Armour.The devs already said water will not be a thing here. I'm sorry if this sounds rude as I don't intend it to but this isn't Diablo, nor do any of us want it to be Diablo. The game still needs a few content patches and some tuning, yes, but Don't Starve is what it is and we love it for what it is.

Kevin has said numerous times he wants you (the player) to feel isolated and alone. I, myself, have made many attempts to raise a smallbird. All but one died. The one that did make it to a smallish tallbird was swarmed by spiders and killed. That was when I realized the meaning of Kevin's words. The smallbird's purpose is to die. You're all "look how cute my little friends is!" and then it dies horribly and you feel sad. That's the whole point.Mounts - once again, you're supposed to feel alone, not have buddies you can ride around on. Not to mention, the maps are meant to be difficult and having a fast move speed makes it too easy.Axes only take a couple seconds to chop down a tree, I don't see why a saw would be needed.Bow and arrow - I LOATHE this idea. No offense to you, I just HATE the thought of a bunch of arrows clogging up what little inventory space I actually have. The boomerang works great, lets stick with that as the ranged weapon.I never use a tent because I play as Wendy and night time is when Abigail and I get things done so I have nothing to say about that.There is more expensive and stronger armor. It's called the Night Armour.The devs already said water will not be a thing here. I'm sorry if this sounds rude as I don't intend it to but this isn't Diablo, nor do any of us want it to be Diablo. The game still needs a few content patches and some tuning, yes, but Don't Starve is what it is and we love it for what it is.

This is my favorite, favorite Post of all time,Now how do I 1+ Rep?

tl;dr

Can you make this simple like

"Mounts are more HELPFUL because ____, and _____."\

Taming animals to carry stuff for us (Both goods and people) was one of the cleverer ideas our ancestors ever had (Aside from language, farming, cooking, the internet). If you're wondering how helpful they'd be, the answer is "Very".

Mounts - once again, you're supposed to feel alone, not have buddies you can ride around on. Not to mention, the maps are meant to be difficult and having a fast move speed makes it too easy.

Yea we only have armies of buddies we can run around with and murder everything that lives. Sure pigmen are too dumb to make you feel like you have companionship, but I don't think horses are any smarter.

We don't need to have mounts as the maps are fairly small, but the idea is good, and we don't need a bunch of other stuff in the game either.

The Koalephant is hard enough to find and capture that it involves a decent investment of time, effort, and resources. Presumably if you can craft a saddle you can also craft saddlebags, which makes the mounts a bit more useful than just a bit of extra speed.

That said, the time and effort required to add this to the game is fairly significant, so if it happens at all I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

Yea we only have armies of buddies we can run around with and murder everything that lives. Sure pigmen are too dumb to make you feel like you have companionship, but I don't think horses are any smarter.

We don't need to have mounts as the maps are fairly small, but the idea is good, and we don't need a bunch of other stuff in the game either.

The Koalephant is hard enough to find and capture that it involves a decent investment of time, effort, and resources. Presumably if you can craft a saddle you can also craft saddlebags, which makes the mounts a bit more useful than just a bit of extra speed.

That said, the time and effort required to add this to the game is fairly significant, so if it happens at all I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

You mean the pigmen you have to bribe that can and will turn on you instantly once their "meat time" is up or it's a full moon? Great buddies you got there.

The pigs aren't meant to be your friends, they're meant to be used as strategical pawns. This isn't an action game, the whole point is to make you think before you act.

Sure we don't NEED things that are in the game, but the things that are in the game fit well with the game. I don't feel that mounts are necessary or that they would fit in. This isn't an mmo, the maps aren't big enough to warrant the use of a mount.

I kind of like taming things if it is a challenge and riding a beeflo or something else would be quite nice to travel around faster because I actually find most maps way too big and spread out which is a problem earlier on when you need to use science machines for inventing however a mount would probably be late game so therefore useless. :p

The armour nerfing was fixed!

Hotfix Feb 28

Balance:

[*]Armour durability back to sanity-patch levels

[*]Player does 34 base damage instead of 33 (so as to not leave creatures with 1 health that requires an extra hit)

[*]Werepigs kite like normal pigs

Features:

[*]Tent overhaul - acts as a multi-use bedroll (restores sanity, costs time and hunger)

[*]Bedroll has a normal hunger penalty, not a percentage

Fixes:

[*]Translation fixes (some spelling fixes too)

[*]Possible fix for rare oncreep crash

[*]Highest campfire light level circle is larger than the second highest

Oh you confused me shortly....^^ I knew it. I'm loving the british english. I have fights with my sister over it. HurrayIt's because everytime I write something I'm not quite sure if it is proper english. So from time to time I get things wrong.

Edited by MilleniumCount

Oh you deceived me....^^ I knew it. I'm loving the british english. I have fights with my sister over it. Hurrayy

I don't get it why the Americans feel the need to change it.Guy: "Hey, we have this perfectly fine word here, it's been used over generations..." Other guy: "Let's butcher it?" Guy: "Let's butcher it."