Is Allergy medication too expensive?

Aside from the fact that a lot of variables/values/ratios need adjustment, something struck me as unreasonable extreme.

It feels upside down. Like cures for Slimelung/Food poisoning are cheap, immuno boosters are cheap, but Allergy medication - something you have to consume every 1.2 Cycles - 1 Blossom Seed and 1 Kg of dirt.

Does anyone else feel the Allergy medication is too expensive? 

I run my Dupes on Blossom's, yet at cycle 600 i still only have 83 Blossom Seeds.  Right now I don't see a way to take on dupes with Allergies - not even if i had super optimized for Blossom Seeds since Cycle 1. If it had said a Bristle Berry, then i could possibly have seen where i could have done it.

Does anyone else feel it's a bit extreme?

1 hour ago, nets said:

Aside from the fact that a lot of variables/values/ratios need adjustment, something struck me as unreasonable extreme.

It feels upside down. Like cures for Slimelung/Food poisoning are cheap, immuno boosters are cheap, but Allergy medication - something you have to consume every 1.2 Cycles - 1 Blossom Seed and 1 Kg of dirt.

Does anyone else feel the Allergy medication is too expensive? 

I run my Dupes on Blossom's, yet at cycle 600 i still only have 83 Blossom Seeds.  Right now I don't see a way to take on dupes with Allergies - not even if i had super optimized for Blossom Seeds since Cycle 1. If it had said a Bristle Berry, then i could possibly have seen where i could have done it.

Does anyone else feel it's a bit extreme?

this is only extreme if you have only a small amount of dupes, as with low food production you will run out of blossom seeds. Also this will make you plant blossoms instead of for example sleet wheat and as is this makes your options about food more restricted. I dont think this is a good idea even though I am unaffected as I generally go with mass berry sludge and 30+ dupes.

1 hour ago, Gus Smedstad said:

Personally, I've avoided Allergic Dupes entirely.

That`s only a half measure. We shouldn`t be just forced to avoid something unbalanced. Allergy effect is too strong and the medicament too expensive. I like that it is made out of the thing that causes the allergy, it gives a nice flavour but the amounts you need compared to amounts produced are pretty off.

IMO you should be able to produce 10 pills out of 1 seed at least. Just increase the craft time and produce it in batches.

I think it is mostly pretty imbalanced at this time. Allergy medicine is significantly too expensive and/or the condition itself is far too harsh. At the same time, basic cure is too cheap and advanced cure is far too expensive or rather too difficult to make in the first place. In particular, getting the right type of egg is actually near impossible without reading up on the web or here how to do it at all.  

Intermediate cure, I think, is reasonably balanced at this time. It is pretty easy to create a small (about 1 plant/dupe) balm lily farm in an existing chlorine pocket and that solves the problem nicely.

All in all, I do welcome the new disease system, but it does need work.

22 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

advanced cure is far too expensive or rather too difficult to make in the first place. In particular, getting the right type of egg is actually near impossible without reading up on the web or here how to do it at all.

????? Like what? It`s the second morph of the shinebug. You will get those randomly from wild bugs around your base. Just taming one shows you how to increase the chances. It takes one bite on a gristle berry and it`s 51%. You can be swimming in sun bug eggs in no time. Just takes a simple ranch. Just set the feeder to low amounts so it won`t rot inside.

32 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

????? Like what? It`s the second morph of the shinebug. You will get those randomly from wild bugs around your base. Just taming one shows you how to increase the chances. It takes one bite on a gristle berry and it`s 51%. You can be swimming in sun bug eggs in no time. Just takes a simple ranch. Just set the feeder to low amounts so it won`t rot inside.

And you do that after you realize how serious the condition actually is? No. An experienced player will not have a problem with that, no argument. But this is too harsh for a newbie.

Also, an experienced player should be able to avoid getting any dupes sick in the first place (just did a decontamination of this type, not easy), but again a newbie will be hard-pressed to actually realize in time how bad this is.

5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

We shouldn`t be just forced to avoid something unbalanced.

While I didn't spell it out, that was really my point. If part of the game is so unbalanced that the best solution is to avoid the feature entirely, it's a feature that really should change.

6 hours ago, Gurgel said:

And you do that after you realize how serious the condition actually is? No. An experienced player will not have a problem with that, no argument. But this is too harsh for a newbie.

As a 'newbie' I disagree. I've never once needed to use the medicine vials produced with the eggs, but the moment I saw the recipe I went about getting Sun Bugs and making a ranch to premake vials. First thing I did when this new update came out and this is my first game where I actually have gotten into 'mid game' content. (I took a 1.5 year break pretty much on this game from when diseases first came out and returned near the end of the QOL 2 update.)

My irritation at slimelung without medication has ensured that I always keep a stock of all meds on hand at all times. Didn't need to be experienced with the game beyond that to get the hint.

On 27.4.2019 at 7:48 PM, Gus Smedstad said:

I'd only do it as a personal challenge or something.

Challenge accepted ;)

=> Start a colony with just allergic duplicants and only accept offered duplicants if they have the allergic trait.

(If it keeps beeing the worst trait, my "last" base will be started with this challenge in mind.)

Back to our topic:

It´s a bad to attach an interesting mechanic like the allergy medication just to a trait.

I would love a way for duplicant to gain new allergies.

Spoiler

How about making it like the old immune system and if a duplicant endures to much spores over a longer time intervall he will/might become allergic.

And let us "cure" allergies with the highest possible medicine.

=> We would have more to manage with the long term exposure and we had a high-end medicine just for when it goes south.

Archived