Volcano + Anti Entropy Thermo-Nullifiers

Hey this is my first post, just got into this game and loving it!

I have a question about my current base. All my current needs have been met so I've done a bunch of exploring. I have three cool steam vents, two natural gas geysers, a steam vent, a polluted water geyser, and now... a volcano. I stumbled upon it after finding TWO AETNs in the same ruin, and it's right above them. I'm looking for any tips or suggestions on how to make the best use of this situation. My base is starting to get hot (because of the close geyser I built a partial enclosure around I believe) but I'm not sure if traditional AETN-cooling will work because of the volcano lol. Thanks!

volcano.png

zoomed.png

The title seems to imply the question of using the volcano and AETN's together. Don't. A bad time will be had by all. However, if you wish to use a cooling loop to your base and back... that's not a bad idea. 

As for the volcano. The math tells me that you can run 3.4 turbines at 850w(2869w) during it's active/idle cycle. Some tips on doing that: (when researched) Calculate total output over it's active cycle. Divide that number by 1t and make sure you have a pit deep enough to hold all of it. The volcano room should be a vacuum with a robominer that can reach the bottom of the pit. On on side of the pit should be metal tiles:: door:: metal tiles :: steam chamber. Set the door to close when the steam is less than 183. This will run 4 turbines with 5 ports open at 85%. This will limit you to what it can put out on it's active/idle cycle. I highly suggest that you don't go for the full 850 per turbine. There's no indication that you are above it, and the extra heat is wasted as a result.

You may be tempted to go with the 1 port at 600+C but this will reduce the total amount of full power heat you can pull out. When the steam chamber gets below 125 turn on the robominer to prep for more magma. It should take thousands of cycles for the robominer to over heat in this setup with out using steel. Even longer with steel. 

I suggest automating the turbines with a smart battery to prep for the dormant cycle. If combined with a larger power system, I would suggest using the turbines before all else. Don't forget to add the turbines as part of the things needed to be cooled. AETN's only cool by 80k, and the setup I recommended generates something close to 300k... if the wiki is to be believed. For reference: Weezes cool by 12k in H2, aquatuners cool by 585k with (p)water, and 1,181k with super coolant. The output water has a buffer of 167k. I wouldn't depend on that buffer though. 

Thank you all for your responses! Definitely saved me from the disaster that would have been combing these two lol. I've ended up using the AETNs to bring a tank of petroleum down to -52C (with some help from an aquatuner--it's so much faster when you bring it down to -42C before throwing it at the AETNs) and it cools a polymer press while the AETNs maintain the petroleum. Not sure if I like this setup more than my first step of just using a single AETN to cool the polymer press right next to it, but the plan is to later use the cooling capacity for something else.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:19 PM, ishakaru said:

The title seems to imply the question of using the volcano and AETN's together. Don't. A bad time will be had by all. However, if you wish to use a cooling loop to your base and back... that's not a bad idea. 

As for the volcano. The math tells me that you can run 3.4 turbines at 850w(2869w) during it's active/idle cycle. Some tips on doing that: (when researched) Calculate total output over it's active cycle. Divide that number by 1t and make sure you have a pit deep enough to hold all of it. The volcano room should be a vacuum with a robominer that can reach the bottom of the pit. On on side of the pit should be metal tiles:: door:: metal tiles :: steam chamber. Set the door to close when the steam is less than 183. This will run 4 turbines with 5 ports open at 85%. This will limit you to what it can put out on it's active/idle cycle. I highly suggest that you don't go for the full 850 per turbine. There's no indication that you are above it, and the extra heat is wasted as a result.

You may be tempted to go with the 1 port at 600+C but this will reduce the total amount of full power heat you can pull out. When the steam chamber gets below 125 turn on the robominer to prep for more magma. It should take thousands of cycles for the robominer to over heat in this setup with out using steel. Even longer with steel. 

I suggest automating the turbines with a smart battery to prep for the dormant cycle. If combined with a larger power system, I would suggest using the turbines before all else. Don't forget to add the turbines as part of the things needed to be cooled. AETN's only cool by 80k, and the setup I recommended generates something close to 300k... if the wiki is to be believed. For reference: Weezes cool by 12k in H2, aquatuners cool by 585k with (p)water, and 1,181k with super coolant. The output water has a buffer of 167k. I wouldn't depend on that buffer though. 

This is great! I have two volcanos so I might end up implementing this on one of them. For now they're both covered up but I'll get to it eventually xD

hi, I have here one way.

I cool a reservoir of liquid with my AETN. Then I fill a tank below the volcano for molten materials to fall into and solidify. Pipe the cooled liquid into a radiator built of radiant liquid pipes. Cycle cooling flow on and off based on a temp sensor, the set point is somewhat arbitrary but must be below the boiling point of the catch liquid, and remember that's the temp of the metal your dupes will build with. So I lean towards setting it at a reasonably moderate temperature (not just whatever the freeze point of your volcano is)

You don't have to go all crazy like I have for the central cooler, but I have illustrated one way to tame a volcano.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, JohnFrancis said:

It's a magma volcano, i'm obliged to recommend building a petroleum boiler.

Also AETN are about as powerful as 6 wheeze if memory serves, a volcano would eat them as a pre breakfast snack.

Yes I've enjoyed your videos of petroleum boilers! Unfortunately my two volcanos on this map (major magma) are very inconveniently placed. This is my first 500+ cycle game--probably going to start a new one as my infrastructure was not designed for the long-term (silly things like not leaving enough space to add generators, spread out power grid, etc.)

On 5/8/2019 at 5:10 PM, avc15 said:

hi, I have here one way.

I cool a reservoir of liquid with my AETN. Then I fill a tank below the volcano for molten materials to fall into and solidify. Pipe the cooled liquid into a radiator built of radiant liquid pipes. Cycle cooling flow on and off based on a temp sensor, the set point is somewhat arbitrary but must be below the boiling point of the catch liquid, and remember that's the temp of the metal your dupes will build with. So I lean towards setting it at a reasonably moderate temperature (not just whatever the freeze point of your volcano is)

You don't have to go all crazy like I have for the central cooler, but I have illustrated one way to tame a volcano.

That's awesome man!! I actually ended up doing something similar with my AETNs, except w/o wheezeworts and w/ petroleum. I have no metal volcanos though--tbh I'm not sure what to do with this besides use it to cool polymer presses. Kind of far from my base so I'm worried about heat leakage if I try to use it to pipe around my base.

Archived