Melting carbon dioxide solid doubling in mass

It's an old bug that hasn't been fixed so far, but I haven't seen anyone exploit it yet.

When a carbon dioxide item melts and then evaporates quickly, it (sometimes? always?) doubles in mass. Easy way to reproduce this is to drop a big chunk of solid CO2 into a multiple tiles deep hot oil bath - this will produce a "bubble", which will make measuring mass trivial.

While CO2 itself is pretty useless, this might be useful for something (other exploits, like gas type change? possible to replicate with other gases?).

In other thread, player reported that his sour gas -> natgas seems to produce more mass than expected. This suggests that this bug may cover other gases. Natgas has a small liquid temperature range, just like CO2. The thread I'm talking about:

The bug also reproduces itself reliably without trying, so keep it in mind when cooling things down heavily.

Pretty sure I remember a water duping build using it and an oil duping build that used it posted here before. It's also pretty easy to trigger on accident in some cases with LOX. Pretty annoying when your trying to play normally and it happens.

32 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

Off subject note: @mathmanican what happened to your Avatar?  I always enjoyed seeing what you had on there next.

Thinking of a new one.  I'll put one up sometime. 

41 minutes ago, Troxism said:

Pretty annoying when your trying to play normally and it happens.

Precisely the reason I hope the devs fix it. It shows up randomly all the time in builds, and the poor unsuspecting people have no clue what's happening. 

4 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Precisely the reason I hope the devs fix it. It shows up randomly all the time in builds, and the poor unsuspecting people have no clue what's happening.

like when your hundred's of KG of Nat Gas turns into PO2......  not that I'm bitter or anything......

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

While CO2 itself is pretty useless, this might be useful for something (other exploits, like gas type change? possible to replicate with other gases?)

If this doesn't get fixed, then optimizing the combination of matter duplication (solid to liquid phase changes) along with matter conversion (swap any gas for another) will be next on the list.

Basically, matter duplication - done purposefully and reliably - requires dropping something's temp to solid state and then heating it up. Whatever element has the lowest SCH, with simplest heating and reheating (sounds like chlorine), should top the list. Since conveyor rails give a "multiply by 25" heat transfer effect when run through other solids, conveyors win at reheating. I'm guessing the optimal (least power) setup might be the following:

• Super coolant in an aquatuner loop used to freeze liquid chlorine to solid (same setup as water duplicator post above, though with the SHC difference, you could probably get several conveyors running simultaneously without needing another aquatuner - so new design needed with more pumps and more conveyors for increased throughput). Use hydrogen in a cooling loop (see @Saturnus's expansion, in the same post) if you want to avoid space materials - you could probably do just fine with some wheezeworts.
  • Extract liquid chlorine to a preheating chamber where you heat gaseous chlorine to a desired level.
  • Matter convert the chlorine to your favorite gas.
  • Cool the new gas to liquid/solid, if so desired. 

Basically, you can have almost whatever element you want, provided the gaseous form can phase change to your desired element.  Super coolant can be mass produced this way (though matter conversion techniques are a bit more complicated above 500C). 

There is a simpler option. Open "Sandbox" mode and print whatever you want. That works too. But where's the fun :)

Archived