Sealed Apartment Strategy.

I've tested this in a few games and it works pretty well in my experience, you have your bedrooms, bathroom, rec room and dining room in a sealed insulated block with the hatch stables on the opposite side of the apartment.  Put in the exosuits and waterlock your apartment, turn off the carbon scrubber, let your base fill up with carbon let it heat up or heat it up and then when you switch to oil power and your base is warm enough you switch from hatches to slicksters to avoid having to feed them, and they are conveniently located for your ranchers.  In my base it's pressurized at 5-10kg depending where you look and it helps compress the other gasses and makes them easier to pump.  All of your oxygen production is in one room beneath the exosuit room.  It really lets you not have to care very much about thermal issues. I just think this approach has a lot of advantages.  Although it does slow down your dupes until you get enough skill points for exosuit wearing.

Here's a save file, I need to clean up a lot of stuff in the metal refinery/power plant area and do something about that 45 tons of steam in that bugged metal refinery that is too cold for a turbine.

The Radioactive Bunker.sav

apartmentblock.jpg

For some reasons beyond our current understanding of science, Dupes can eat, relieve themselves and shower while wearing an atmo suit. They are also fine sleeping in them too.

You can make your sealed apartment much smaller. I only seal up the bedrooms behind the atmo suit docks so the suits can recharge while the Dupes are sleeping.

46 minutes ago, Lacost said:

Dupes can eat, relieve themselves and shower while wearing an atmo suit. 

Technically yes. But QoL mkIII gives a debuff if a dupe have relieved himself in the atmosuit. Moreover, at the docking station. All expulsions are now dumped on the floor. That means any pee, CO2 breathing or farts the dupe made while wearing the atmosuit is dumped at the docking station.

Actually, not completely sure about the flatulence being retained in the atmosuit until docked now as I've not tested it myself, so this is on secondary information only.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Technically yes. But QoL mkIII gives a debuff if a dupe have relieved himself in the atmosuit. Moreover, at the docking station. All expulsions are now dumped on the floor. That means any pee, CO2 breathing or farts the dupe made while wearing the atmosuit is dumped at the docking station.

Actually, not completely sure about the flatulence being retained in the atmosuit until docked now as I've not tested it myself, so this is on secondary information only.

That's correct but what I meant was that atmo suit wearing Dupes use toilets just as normal so you don't have to build them in the sealed apartment.

6 hours ago, Lacost said:

For some reasons beyond our current understanding of science, Dupes can eat, relieve themselves and shower while wearing an atmo suit. They are also fine sleeping in them too.

We can go a step further: Your dupe can walk through water lock, without a suit, and go from 2kg/cell oxygen to a total vacuum and be totally fine with it for as as long as they hold their breath.  

Dupes are pretty amazing li'l critters. =^.^=

Note that putting the eating area outside of the oxygen zone have important benefits - if the great hall is flooded with chlorine, you can just leave food on the floor of the great hall and save some dupe time in travelling.

And food poison germs will all die as well.

Archived