Unpopular Opinion: DST combat is worse

We're onto you now.

Anyhow, I dunno, I feel both work, but being stuck in the animation could lead to some issues, like hitting a friendly, or a wall, or a fence, that kind of stuff.
I like DST's cancel, let's me further the "Help save the Walls!" movement, without accidentally bashing them in with a spear.

Commit to attack allows for rhythmic kiting, but locks you in the attack animation, granting you less freedom over the control of your character and nets you less hits overall before you have to dodge. In this sense, your combat has to be "tighter", cause you don't really have much choice otherwise.

With the Fake Attack system, not only does it still allow for rhythmic kiting, it also allows for higher level combat where you can get more hits in on a target while still being able to avoid damage. There is nothing preventing you from hitting something "twice, then press on a movement key to guarantee movement as soon as possible to dodge", with the exception of lag.

Nightmares are a prime example. You can still do the Don't Starve way, where you bait an attack out from a nightmare, get only one hit in, and repeat. That's how newer players are taught to kite nightmares. With DST's way, not only can you do that, you can also do the more advanced method of kiting nightmares where you can get one hit in, dodge the attack, and get another hit in rather reliably. This is simply not possible in Don't Starve, even with major speed boosts (I'm talking coffee too, which even then, only lets you do it rarely, but most certainly not consistently, even though there's no difference in the attack speeds or range of Nightmare Creatures between the two games).

Not only that, how are you supposed to start pig wars and bunnymen wars now if you remove that system? You can't command your allies to attack creatures in DST, and fake attacking is extremely critical for these types of farms. Taking away fake attacks makes this extremely difficult, since your character is locked into the animation. 

Don't Starve also still has its absolutely broken armor stacking mechanic in the game, where you take laughable small amounts of damage. This ain't the case in DST, as armor calculation was reworked and balanced so that wearing two pieces of armor didn't make invincible. In a game where mobs do more damage, have higher health pools in general, and the existence of some fast-paced boss fights, being able to cancel the attack animation can be very crucial in many parts of the game. 

Why take away forms of advanced combat and replace it with a system that allows for less options, and, in my opinion, makes movement feel terrible since I don't have free control over my character? I've played both games substantially, and I prefer the fake attack system. If you prefer the commit to attack system, that's fine, but I'd rather not have that option taken away from me in all honesty.

I feel like a good mechanic to blend both DS and DST fight mechanics is have a DST mechanic where you can order allies to attack something without needing to attack / attack cancel (maybe your character does an animation where he points at something)

6 hours ago, Canis said:

I feel like a good mechanic to blend both DS and DST fight mechanics is have a DST mechanic where you can order allies to attack something without needing to attack / attack cancel (maybe your character does an animation where he points at something)

This. I want this. Please give us this. Maybe even extend it to certain other actions like ordering pigs to chop down trees and mine rocks.

Archived