Lategame oxygen sink

A few times i got to the late game i found myself overproducing oxygen when compared to hydrogen leaving me with too much oxygen and nothing to use it for. Venting it into space feels kinda wrong. There should be some sort of thing i can sink it into.

Like a material that is created out of oxygen (maybe aerogel) that you could use in large amounts. Maybe for insulation, just a bit weaker than the super insulator. Or maybe some kind of super glass that needs bottled oxygen added and lets 100% light pass.

Maybe some sort of building using oxygen. Like a more effective combustion generator using oxygen and refined carbon for superb power efficiency (maybe more of a midgame tech).

On 4/13/2019 at 1:00 AM, Sasza22 said:

Venting it into space feels kinda wrong

Why? thats what space is for i dumped whole oceans on watermaps into space and build an extreme pressure vent to get rid of oxygen. (I Admit i had the idea of a matter destroyer before but then began dumping to space and felt its alright that way)

It's not wrong, just wasteful.
Before QOL 3, i dumped ultra hot steam into space for easy heat deletion (with this new turbine that wont be necessary anymore)

Almost all my bases, i send CO2 to a slickster ranch. If it gets overpressured , ( > 20Kg), there is a long pipe venting the extra CO2 to space.... its better to lose the CO2 than clog my nat gas generator with CO2.

7 minutes ago, Rainbowdesign said:

Why?

Well the game is named Oxygen Not Included. It`s supposed to be about managing the oxygen, it`s like burning extra food in Don`t Starve when you need extra ash. Feels wrong. Like i know that i can freely vent it wehn i have way too much but i`d prefer if there was something i can sink it into and not feel like i`m throwing it away.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

Well the game is named Oxygen Not Included. It`s supposed to be about managing the oxygen, it`s like burning extra food in Don`t Starve when you need extra ash. Feels wrong. Like i know that i can freely vent it wehn i have way too much but i`d prefer if there was something i can sink it into and not feel like i`m throwing it away.

It is something easy to mod we have a oxylite refinery it can produce something else. Also it would be possible to feed oxylite to a critter. Just add some ideas to what the product could be.

49 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Imo the best thing would be some sort of material you can build tiles out of. Like aerogel or some sort of transparent plastic you can use in space as a window tile with low thermal conductivity.

I did not look into making new materials i think it should be possible now but looking will take time and delay adding it. Thats why i thought on a material thats already ingame.

9 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Liquid oxygen for rocket launches seems like a pretty good late game sink. 

There is a rocket mod maybe suggest it in the issues page: https://github.com/lfricken/oni-mods/blob/master/Mods/RocketOverhaul.md

Well i could do: Pacu diet: oxylite -> water (but less than is needed to create the oxygen that way you get a cycle that can create hydrogen)

19 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Liquid oxygen for rocket launches seems like a pretty good late game sink. 

Only if you are using petroleum as fuel. If you use hydrogen engines you will produce 8 times the amount of oxygen you need compared to hydrogen.

14 hours ago, D.L.S. said:

Refined metal + o2 = metal ore + heat. this  could be useful in late game.

Maybe a burner machine. Changes metal to ore (except gold, that should need mercury) organics to carbon, phosphorite to phosphorus and maybe a few more. Powered by oxygen and using power.

5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Maybe a burner machine. Changes metal to ore (except gold, that should need mercury) organics to carbon, phosphorite to phosphorus and maybe a few more. Powered by oxygen and using power.

No need to overcomplicate, i was thought about just adding recipes to klin, its already release heat while working, playing with time of production and materials mass it can be tuned for required heat output per kg of metal(different for different metals ofc, each metal its own recipe). just add metals and botled oxygen and it will process it some time releasing heat and eventually drop metal ore. Need more heat output - just put 10, 20, 50 klins and run them simultaneously.

btw good addition about carbon and phosphorite, maybe also hydrogen to burn it back into water.

Archived