One of the aspects I enjoy most about Don't Starve is the whimsical nature of the game. Case in point? Portmanteau.

Portmanteau sounds like a fancy word, but it's really quite simple. It's simply a combination of two words to create a new hybrid word.
For Example:
Deer + Cyclops = Deerclops
Bear + Badger = Bearger
Seal + Tornado = Sealnado
Queen Woman + Ant = Queen Womant
Dragon + Fly = Dragonfly

Don't Starve is filled with portmanteau and wordplay, and it's something that I've always found fun. I made this thread for people to create their own portmanteau words theorycraft new content. I'll start off with a few.

Monarch + Butterfly = Monarch Butterfly

We already have royal insects like the Spider Queen, Bee Queen, and Queen Womant, so a Monarch Butterfly seems like a fitting boss-type mob for the Don't Starve world. What could a Monarch Butterfly possibly do? Well in the real world, monarch butterflies migrate across North America as part of their life cycle. Maybe such a creature could migrate across the DS world like no eye deer do? As caterpillars, monarch butterflies feed off of milkweed, which contains toxins that make them poisonous. Perhaps there could be a new biome where milkweed grow, butterflies run rampant, and where the Monarch Butterfly can spawn.

Hedge + Hog = Hedgehog

Sort of like a grass gekko, but it's a leafy pig. I'd imagine them to be similarly shy creatures that run away when approached. They could be like peagawks in Hamlet, being able to plant themselves down as a hedge.

Giant + Ant = Gi-Ant

It's a big ant.

I'm not wholly sure whether all of these are portmanteaus but regardless i'll share them.

Mammoth = Mammoth + Moth

Would be an interesting boss idea or at least a potential hunting surprise creature like the Varg or the Ewecus and I don't know about you but I think a giant Moth in the DS style would be absolutely adorable.

Tortle = Turtle + Tortoise

I had imagined pretty much a regular looking turtle/tortoise that switches between the seafaring feet of the turtle to the land faring feet of the tortoise.

Marigold = Marigold + Gold

Maybe there could be a magic farm that could grow magical plants like the Marigold. The Marigold in specific would produce gold or something of the sort.

Dandelion = Dandelion + Lion

Another thing for the magic farm but just an aggressive plant that you don't want.

Weeping Willow = A Willow Tree that is literally weeping.

Would totally fit as a totally normal tree.

Weevil = Weevil + Evil

An annoyingly aggressive bug monster?

Walking Stick Bug = Walking Stick + Stick Bug

A stick bug would be an interesting variation of treeguard for the twiggy tree's or a unique kind of equip able item that functions like a walking stick but had to be taken care of to continue functioning.

10 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

Marigold = Marigold + Gold

Maybe there could be a magic farm that could grow magical plants like the Marigold. The Marigold in specific would produce gold or something of the sort.

Dandelion = Dandelion + Lion

Another thing for the magic farm but just an aggressive plant that you don't want.

PvZ made it.

Emoose = Emu + Goose

Kinda close to the Goose/Goose though

Zebramble = Zebra + Bramble

A naturally shy mob (like koalefant), that can pretend to be a plant (tree, sapling, berry bush) until you get close. Drops leafy and regular meat. Has a 50% chance to replace any a koalefants from a hunt.

Lily Paddle = Lily pad + paddle

SW/Ham DLC only. A tool that provides a 50% speed boost to a boat that has no sail.

Eggquine = Egg + Equine

A horse with an egg for its body. Can be tamed and ridden like beefalo. They are faster, and easier to domesticate. They have less health and refuse to let players ride them with chess heads/sculptures/boulders on their back

Archived