New drecko behavior

Something has changed in the last build. I had a drecko ranch with two pneumatic doors leading out. One of the dreckos was on the ceiling; it got there before the patch. Well, that one couldn't get back down to the floor anymore. Couldn't crawl over pneumatic doors, even though it never had a problem with it before.

In addition, tame dreckos can walk through open doors now. Half of them got out while dupes were entering or leaving.

Not just dreckos, it seems. Tame hatches can also walk through open doors and they never did that in the past.

Anybody else noticing this?

all critters have always been able to walk through open doors.    I had tamed critters walk out an open door a lot before.

if they cant crawl over pneumatic doors that might be a good thing.  it helps prevents them from leaving without the use of a water lock.

1 minute ago, RonEmpire said:

all critters have always been able to walk through open doors.    I had tamed critters walk out an open door a lot before.

if they cant crawl over pneumatic doors that might be a good thing.  it helps prevents them from leaving without the use of a water lock.

Sorry, I forgot to mention. They have no problem bypassing my water lock, too.

Anyway, I just loaded an old (QoL II) base with several stables that would literally stop working if tame hatches could walk through open doors. I know they used to work: that game is over 2000 cycles old and I never had any problems. I also know they got out immediately after a rancher opened the door to get in.

Take it as you will.

3 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

If they're (dreckos) cross water lock - that's a huge problem.   I have to load up my game and see.  Because that's my only means to contain them. 

Also, what you said about critters walking through open doors is true... for wild pets. Never for tame ones. Tame ones could always be contained by doors, even pneumatic ones. That includes dreckos. I used that feature in almost every single game. Until tonight's patch, that is.

12 minutes ago, M.C. said:

Also, what you said about critters walking through open doors is true... for wild pets. Never for tame ones. Tame ones could always be contained by doors, even pneumatic ones. That includes dreckos. I used that feature in almost every single game. Until tonight's patch, that is.

Really?  I've had tamed pets leave through doors before.   I'll have to dig up some old saves to verify this.  As I have tamed shine bugs slickers and hatches walk through doors before    and had to make water locks to prevent them from leaving.

I could try to test this with sandbox   preview and    sandbox   live   to see.

Spawn a dozen or more into a small box and see.

U can verify TAMED shiny bugs do leave through open pneumatic doors   in LIVE version (not preview).

I know this for fact because I have 300 shine bugs tamed  and just made a door and had it open state.  deconstructed my critter lure and let them loose to move freely.   And sure enough they escape the door.

Maybe your tamed pets have been lucky enough not to leave   but they  DO  for a fact leave

14 minutes ago, M.C. said:

Tame ones could always be contained by doors, even pneumatic ones. That includes dreckos.

This statement is absolutely false.   And can be tested and verified.

22 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

This statement is absolutely false.   And can be tested and verified.

Like I said, my save directory is full of builds that relied on containing tame pets with doors, and they all worked. None of them work anymore. If you would be so kind as to explain that discrepancy, I would really appreciate it.

3 hours ago, M.C. said:

Like I said, my save directory is full of builds that relied on containing tame pets with doors, and they all worked. None of them work anymore. If you would be so kind as to explain that discrepancy, I would really appreciate it.

I've read a lot of people on this forum "claim" that their build with tamed pets have never left through a pneumatic door. 

This is what I have to say:
Just because it hasn't happened "yet"-  because of either by luck or by small samples of pets that you've tamed and the door opens and closes so fast does not make it true that tamed pets will NEVER leave.    (its like saying I haven't been hit by lightening yet so its not possible to be hit ever)

You can test this easily by increasing your sample size of tamed pets in  that room and just leave doors wide open and you will see they actually do LEAVE the room.  

This can be even further tested on pets that walk - such as hatches and slicksters by making the bottom of the room a 2 tiles wide with a large height  and they have only  2 tiles to walk back and forth between,  and leave the door open.  Tamed pets will leave the door.    It can be verified and tested.

1 minute ago, RonEmpire said:

I've read a lot of people on this forum "claim" that their build with tamed pets have never left through a pneumatic door. 
Just because it hasn't happened yet-  because of either by luck or by small samples of pets that you've tamed and the door opens and closes so fast does not make it true that tamed pets will NEVER leave.  

I won't argue with that point, but when you have a build that worked for hundreds or thousands of cycles in the past -- a build that breaks within minutes of loading that game under QoL III and keeps breaking after that -- don't you think there's something amiss here?

Just now, M.C. said:

I won't argue with that point, but when you have a build that worked for hundreds or thousands of cycles in the past -- a build that breaks within minutes of loading that game under QoL III and keeps breaking after that -- don't you think there's something amiss here?

Just like I said, you've been riding the luck wave and your luck has ran out.   The game mechanics has not changed the rules.

ALL critters will walk through open doors.     This mechanic  has ALWAYS been there.

I've been arguing with people about this issue way before the preview build came out,  they've made some fancy build that depends on the pneumatic doors 'containing' pets.   And I've posted a dozen times telling them their design is flawed to depend on just the door.    And suggested that water lock is the way to go.  Pets won't cross 2 tiles water just to kill themselves. 

Just now, RonEmpire said:

Just like I said, you've been riding the luck wave and your luck has ran out.   The game mechanics has not changed the rules.

ALL critters will walk through open doors.     This mechanic  has ALWAYS been there.

You have an... interesting idea of how probabilities work, apparently, but that's fine. I won't argue further. Thank you for your input, such as it is.

4 minutes ago, M.C. said:

Go back to "live" build and go back to those save files, and just leave your door "OPEN" state (and not "AUTO").   keep building walls to restrict the room size down and you can see for yourself, that the mechanic for tamed pets walking through doors has always existed.

The fact that it has been working for you up until now has been by sure luck that the doors open and close really fast.  that the room size is big and the pets count has been in a low sample.

The rules definitely changed. Hatches are now able to go through doors that they couldn't for hundreds of cycles. This isn't a rare occurrence. In this hotfix, most or all of my hatches have escaped in a cycle or two.

2 hours ago, M.C. said:

nah tame dreckos have always walked through open doors. If your dupe opens the door to walk through and there is a drecko nearby they'll follow the dupe through the door before it closes. It was a pain in the ass when I first started ranching them lol.

All critters can walk (or fly) through open doors though, not just dreckos.

So I can't say if they have changed, I havn't tested them in the new build yet. 

In my *checks steam* 1323 hours of playing ONI, I have only had maybe ~30 critters in total get out of my stables which are typically just rooms with a single door. 

I can confirm that (at least the patch before QOL1 when I started playing) that critters COULD escape doors, though it seemed very hard to make them do so. 

1 hour ago, ChickenMadness said:

nah tame dreckos have always walked through open doors. If your dupe opens the door to walk through and there is a drecko nearby they'll follow the dupe through the door before it closes. It was a pain in the ass when I first started ranching them lol.

All critters can walk (or fly) through open doors though, not just dreckos.

This was my experience as well.   I had a chlorine room, with Dreckos tamed and sheering station  but it was close to the door and everytime a dupe walked in or out  some drecko would just sneak out.   It was so annoying that I had to convert to a water lock build of some sort.

For what it’s worth, my tame dreckos are constantly escaping my ranch room in the live (*not* preview) version. The entrance to the ranch is an automatic airlock door, if it makes any difference. It’s gotten to the point where I just let them roam freely, and only wrangle them if the number of dreckos in my ranch falls too low.

Hatches also try to escape, but they are much easier to contain.

In previous game verions critters could go through manual and mechanized airlock doors if a dupe was crossing them in same moment. But never through pneumatic doors. Even description of the pneumatic doors said so.

If this is changed and now pnaumatic doors are no longer blocking critters, then this is a serious ranching issue, that would require unnecessary workarounds.

2 minutes ago, Angpaur said:

In previous game verions critters could go through manual and mechanized airlock doors if a dupe was crossing them in same moment. But never through pneumatic doors. Even description of the pneumatic doors said so.

If this is changed and now pnaumatic doors are no longer blocking critters, then this is a serious ranching issue, that would require unnecessary workarounds.

This is false.  I HAVE had critters sneak by through that door.   It opens and closes really fast that most of the time you're lucky it hasn't escaped.  BUT it does in fact CAN escape when you open the door and leave.    People just argue and claim and hope that its not the case.  BUT you CAN test this and you can verify that they "CAN" leave when you open the door and walk through it.  

I mean just simply leaving it open you know they can escape.  What makes a dupe walking through it any different?

2 minutes ago, Angpaur said:

Yeah, keep convincing me that I was lucky for more than 1000 cycles with many different critters and ranches layouts. LOL.

It's like saying  because you've gone this long not getting hit by lighting that its not possible for you to get hit ever.

You can test this out in the live (not preview)  and setup a narrow   room of 2 tiles wide  put a door there. and see for yourself.

Like I keep saying  test it out for yourself.  saying it hasn't happen yet for 1000 cycles doesn't make it proof that it can't happen.

Are you serious with that example? Really? Imagine then that a lighting hits every 0.2 second in your vicinity (like 10m radius) - how long it will take untill it hits you?

This is exactly the same with some of my ranches - I had a +100 hatches in 9 tiles wide area limited by pneumatic doors from both sides. Never a single hatch has espaced. Is this luck?

Look you can test it like this:  see attached.  Put the critter drop for hatches or dreckos or whatever you want.

Go wrangle a few 'tamed' critters and have your guys drop them off in that tiny little room.   And tell me  if any escape in 1000 cycles.

Untitled-1.jpg

After delivering 20 critters    and tell me if you have managed to store 20 in that spot.

You do the testing - I know it worked well before, becuase I was also using such tiny areas and never a single critter escaped.

But since with new patch there is now issue that critters can move through pneumatic doors than can be hard to test.

Archived